What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 UK Pinball Hall of Fame nominations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Phil

Site Supporter
Alias
OTWBigPhil
Hello everyone.

It's time for the nominations for the 2023 inductions into the UK Pinball Hall of Fame.

Anyone can suggest names for this year's inductions for outstanding contributions to the UK's pinball scene. All suggestions will be collated and voted on by the committee, with those selected announced at an awards ceremony at the UK Pinfest show on Sunday 27th August.

You have until the end of April to send in your suggestions. You can either email your entry in to info@ukpinballhalloffame.com or fill in the form on the Hall of Fame website at ukpinballhalloffame.com, where you can also find details of the committee and all the previous Hall of Fame inductees.

Every name submitted will be considered and voted on, so don't leave it too late to send in your suggestion.

Thanks for taking part.

yes, you too can be part of the hall of shane^wfame with these current luminaries :

John Trudeau - convicted sex offender.
Jack Guarneri - "CEO" of company selling pinball machines that fall apart and basically tell you tough luck.
Andrew Heighway - former "CEO" of company that ripped off hundreds of pinheads by his direction.
Mike Pacak - former expo organiser banned for being a bully.

Last edited by a moderator:
He has a point.
I would have removed him if I was involved, disgusting man.

Hello everyone.

It's time for the nominations for the 2023 inductions into the UK Pinball Hall of Fame.

Anyone can suggest names for this year's inductions for outstanding contributions to the UK's pinball scene. All suggestions will be collated and voted on by the committee, with those selected announced at an awards ceremony at the UK Pinfest show on Sunday 27th August.

You have until the end of April to send in your suggestions. You can either email your entry in to info@ukpinballhalloffame.com or fill in the form on the Hall of Fame website at ukpinballhalloffame.com, where you can also find details of the committee and all the previous Hall of Fame inductees.

Every name submitted will be considered and voted on, so don't leave it too late to send in your suggestion.

Thanks for taking part.
For clarification, many years ago Nick Bennett asked me to take over the running of the Hall of Fame.
I have set up ukpinballalloffame.co.uk and protected the name with a registered trademark.

It is intended to continue the tradition of recognising achievements of those that make a significant contribution to pinball regardless of their location.
To this end, last week Keith Elwin was inducted with the following commendation:

"Continuing its mission to honour those that have made an outstanding contribution to the enjoyment of Pinball, it is with great pleasure the UK Pinball Hall of Fame recognises the achievements of Keith Elwin, Pinball Designer, for excellence and innovation.

Before joining the industry, Keith was a passionate pinball hobbyist who designed and built his own game ‘Archer’.

He has worn many hats, hobbyist, operator and pinball technician before joining Stern Pinball in 2017, where his designs include, Iron Maiden, Jurassic Park, The Avengers: infinity Quest, Godzilla and James Bond: 60th Anniversary Limited Edition.

Keith has also contributed to the archives of the Internet Pinball Data base (IPDB) and is a world ranking pinball player."

Tomorrow I am visiting Stern to present the Award pictured here.

I was not aware a selection committee was being put together but will be happy for them to co-ordinate nominations etc for ratification.

I think it is important, going forward, the UKPHOF is not affiliated with any commercial pinball venture or aligned to any one event.
This makes sponsorship problematical but it is something being worked on.

There are plans to reflect the substantial rise in competitive pinball by creating a new category this year, ' UK Pinball Player of The Year'.
As yet the criteria have not been confirmed. Any ideas and suggestions are welcome. The dilemma is, if it can go to a player representing the UK overseas, can it also go to a foreign player winning a tournament in the UK?

Attachments

• IMG_2300.jpg
    IMG_2300.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 40
For clarification, many years ago Nick Bennett asked me to take over the running of the Hall of Fame.
I have set up ukpinballalloffame.co.uk and protected the name with a registered trademark.

It is intended to continue the tradition of recognising achievements of those that make a significant contribution to pinball regardless of their location.
To this end, last week Keith Elwin was inducted with the following commendation:

"Continuing its mission to honour those that have made an outstanding contribution to the enjoyment of Pinball, it is with great pleasure the UK Pinball Hall of Fame recognises the achievements of Keith Elwin, Pinball Designer, for excellence and innovation.

Before joining the industry, Keith was a passionate pinball hobbyist who designed and built his own game ‘Archer’.

He has worn many hats, hobbyist, operator and pinball technician before joining Stern Pinball in 2017, where his designs include, Iron Maiden, Jurassic Park, The Avengers: infinity Quest, Godzilla and James Bond: 60th Anniversary Limited Edition.

Keith has also contributed to the archives of the Internet Pinball Data base (IPDB) and is a world ranking pinball player."

Tomorrow I am visiting Stern to present the Award pictured here.

I was not aware a selection committee was being put together but will be happy for them to co-ordinate nominations etc for ratification.

I think it is important, going forward, the UKPHOF is not affiliated with any commercial pinball venture or aligned to any one event.
This makes sponsorship problematical but it is something being worked on.

There are plans to reflect the substantial rise in competitive pinball by creating a new category this year, ' UK Pinball Player of The Year'.
As yet the criteria have not been confirmed. Any ideas and suggestions are welcome. The dilemma is, if it can go to a player representing the UK overseas, can it also go to a foreign player winning a tournament in the UK?

Hi Gary, completely agree that Keith is a worthy inductee and a great decision to be included. However, the commendation in regards to his competitive pinball playing is a little underwhelming to say the least. For the only mention to be that he is a 'world ranking pinball player' is a little farcical. Anyone who has played in a single tournament ever is a world ranking pinball player! He is the undisputed greatest pinball player of all time, having been crowned world champion 6 times and winning 11 majors. Maybe worth considering

This is a little embarrassing...

So who actually is running this UK Hall of Fame? The committee? Or @Gary Flower?

UK pinball community in shambles shocker! 😂

interestingly; Knowing that Gary had been involved in this for some time and was doing work on it - I did try to ask this question at UKPinfest last year but the heavy hands of the dictators^w organisers didn’t want to take questions. Pretty shocking way to deal with Gary who is hugely recognised in the International community, he has opened doors for me many times with pinball folks in the US and was inducted to the global pinball hall of fame many years ago.

If Gary has a trademark then it’s Gary and @Gary Flower you should protect your trademark with a cease and desist on those flouting it. probably with an email to them asap, I know an excellent trademark lawyer if you need one.

cheers,
Neil.

Gary great call on this - agree on many of your points and Keith is a fantastic choice for the hall of fame - but if there is to be a UK hall of fame I think you should be the chairman for sure.

On your other point one thing I’ve agreed with the Chicago expo folks is that the best positioned UK player at this years UK Open will win a trip to represent the UK at the Pinball World Cup at expo. We will award this person The UK Pinball Calcutta Cup.

cheers,
Neil.

Last edited by a moderator:
Weren't you threatening to do your own take on this Neil? I remember you being offended that it was an elitist organisation, and you were proposing public voting instead?

I don't care either way. But if you're going to have such strong opinions on this then it might be worth deciding what they are first

Folks.
There are some here with skin in the game, can they have a talk offline or with a mediator, to help clarify what constitutes The UK Pinball Hall of Fame.
It isn't for me to direct this but it sounds like the some points to consider are:
  1. How names are nominated and who can the vote for them
  2. Where the voting takes place, if such voting does occur
  3. When the awards are given
  4. What constitutes the conditions for when an award can be taken away
For anyone else, who doesn't have skin in the game, let's give them time to do this rather than stoke up any flames as that doesn't help.

Weren't you threatening to do your own take on this Neil? I remember you being offended that it was an elitist organisation, and you were proposing public voting instead?

I don't care either way. But if you're going to have such strong opinions on this then it might be worth deciding what they are first

I agree Wizcat it 100% needs a public vote to be authentic!

I'd like to nominate @Neil McRae to the UK Hall of Fame

Not a joke, like him or hate him it's hard to deny the positive impact he's had in the UK scene... Amazing tournaments at his home, buying and putting machines at Pinball Republic for all to enjoy, and his charitable work.

But most of all the UK Open put us on the international stage for hosting a worthy tournament to bring the world's best players to the UK.

We need people like Neil to push the UK scene forward.

I'd like to nominate @Neil McRae to the UK Hall of Fame

Not a joke, like him or hate him it's hard to deny the positive impact he's had in the UK scene... Amazing tournaments at his home, buying and putting machines at Pinball Republic for all to enjoy, and his charitable work.

But most of all the UK Open put us on the international stage for hosting a worthy tournament to bring the world's best players to the UK.

We need people like Neil to push the UK scene forward.

I 100% agree with this, if/when it is sorted and if/when a public vote happens, I would like to vote for Neil too

The details of how to nominate someone have already been published in the first post of this thread.

Why would your nomination get lost ? This was about making things more transparent and it’s a start in tne right direction - maybe not perfect yet but better than one person making decisions. Upwards and onwards to more transparency and inclusion . All suggestions to improve are very welcomed . No need for paranoia . Committee can change , voting process can change etc - it’s just a start
Several other nominations have been made so far and not all members from this forum as there is other aspects of the pinball world that are not about designers , shows and competitions. As I keep saying - something for everybody . Cupcakes and rainbows everyone 😀

I thought Nick Bennet in the early days wanted it to honour uk people. As there are plenty of awards for the yanks but this was changed in recent times.

I personally think it should be for UK’ers. But hey.

This is all getting a bit daft and if you arent careful you will have two awards running separately. Like two football cups. One called the UK Pinball Honour Roll lets say.

Gary should of perhaps messaged Phil and explained the ™. Then maybe it could if been rectified in a couple of messages.

But hey. Let’s shout about trademark lawyers about something that really doesnt have a value. What would that achieve? A bit more of a soap opera perhaps? Even get a gofundme page for the lawyers fees?!?

I thought Nick Bennet in the early days wanted it to honour uk people. As there are plenty of awards for the yanks but this was changed in recent times.

I personally think it should be for UK’ers. But hey.

This is all getting a bit daft and if you arent careful you will have two awards running separately. Like two football cups. One called the UK Pinball Honour Roll lets say.

Gary should of perhaps messaged Phil and explained the ™. Then maybe it could if been rectified in a couple of messages.

But hey. Let’s shout about trademark lawyers about something that really doesnt have a value. What would that achieve? A bit more of a soap opera perhaps? Even get a gofundme page for the lawyers fees?!?

Yes, you're right Phil.

I've messaged Gary and invited him to be part of the UK Pinball Hall of Fame's Nominations and Inductions Committee, with a special focus on the international award. Let's see what happens.

The HoF should be all about celebrating all the great achievements within the UK pinball community, not about splits, shenanigans and trademark disputes.

Being inducted into the UK Pinball Hall of Fame in 2015 is my proudest moment in all the years of being involved in this hobby.

When the award wasn't presented for a few years I nagged both Gary & Martin about bringing it back and creating a web page for it.

I spoke with both of them last year regarding the award and honestly assumed they were working together. Gary wanted to know where the award should be presented (I recommended Pinfest) and Martin asked me to be part of the awarding committee (which I accepted). It was a very awkward moment for me when it transpired that they were not able to agree and work together on this.

I hope Gary will join the committee as I know the other members would be delighted for him to be involved. My belief is that an award from a group of prominent members of the community holds much more credance than one chosen by any individual.

I'm disappointed that Kirk would suggest that anyone's nomination would go missing. I have worked with Neil for over 5 years trying to make Pinball Republic the best venue we can and know first hand the effort he puts in. If any bias based on friendships ever enters into this process, you will know when I step down from the committee.

My issues with a totally public vote are that A) it becomes a popularity contest, why should someone's effort's not be rewarded just because they have less friends? B) like the TWIPPY's, it is vulnerable to being rigged by bots.

My final point would be that I really do not understand the negativity in recognising the dedication of one of our own and saying thank you for the year's of effort they have put into the hobby for the benefit of others.

I have locked this thread.
Earlier, I suggested we let any differences be worked out between the two relevant sides. Our community should want to recognise the positive input people put into it and that isn’t best served by this post going off the rails.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom