What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20 years ago...

myPinballs

Site Supporter
Alias
Jim
So i just realised its 20 years ago this year since i made my first custom pinball game! If anyone remembers back to the poa days it was at the show in 1994! Seems homebrewing/hacking games is in my blood!

The question is, should i dig it out from storage and bring down to this year daventry show for a looksie, and maybe a game or two (when not too noisy)?? There's plenty of stories about it and the design etc. I was heavily influenced by the williams games that were in the local pubs and bowling alleys at the time (addams, whitewater, creature, twilight zone, fish tales etc). Also seems i liked alot of colour back then to :)

Attachments

• playfield1.jpg
    playfield1.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 149
  • detail1.jpg
    detail1.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 126
  • detail4.jpg
    detail4.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 116
  • detail6.jpg
    detail6.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 112
  • detail5.jpg
    detail5.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 113
  • detail2.jpg
    detail2.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 112
  • detail3.jpg
    detail3.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 122
  • full-machine.jpg
    full-machine.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 147
Cool. :thumbs: How difficult is the ramp to hit behind drops? She looks tight in photo & a rebound SDTM off the rubbers.

Cool. :thumbs: How difficult is the ramp to hit behind drops? She looks tight in photo & a rebound SDTM off the rubbers.
inline drops! :) Getting them down and up the ramp to the top playfield is one of the main goals along with completing the large high voltage yellow triangle. Its lined for the right flipper sweet spot asfair.

That looks cool, definitely bring it Jim :thumbs: Making a custom game is a thought that's been nagging away at me recently although I'd have no idea where to even start :D

Cheers everyone :)

Will be bringing to the daventry show and will be part of my custom/hacking pinball area at replay/play expo. I look forward to chatting about it again and seeing what people think. 20 years really has gone by too fast!!

IMG_2960.JPG

So there it was! The old favourite. Survived a full Daventry party, having been stored for almost 20 years. Only a couple of small niggles to attend to and sort out before the next outing. Hope everyone who had a game enjoyed it. Total plays was 535 at the end of sunday afternoon.

Will be taking to my hacking lab at the northern lights pin show and then to Terry's probably to join in the leagues down there as another game/ alternative.

Cheers all :)

I really enjoyed playing High Voltage at the show. Some really good ideas on that game, including a subway, an upper playfield linked to a skill shot, in line drops, and the kickback in the right hand outlane. Is the playfield based on an existing game, or a totally new design? It looks like it uses a SS Bally cabinet and displays.

Thanks for bringing it along for everyone to enjoy. :clap:

Cracking fun game, thanks for bringing it for us all to play.
Look forward to playing it again at NLP.

I really enjoyed playing High Voltage at the show. Some really good ideas on that game, including a subway, an upper playfield linked to a skill shot, in line drops, and the kickback in the right hand outlane. Is the playfield based on an existing game, or a totally new design? It looks like it uses a SS Bally cabinet and displays.

Thanks for bringing it along for everyone to enjoy. :clap:

It was based on Future Spa which was an early Solid State Bally game with cool 80s electronic sounds (possibly the first one to use that processor driven sound board). The rules, boards, certain playfield parts and wiring were reused. The rest was original inc. the playfield itself. The subway and trap door (on the upper playfield) were additions that had extra boards made to control the feature. They were not part of Future Spa.

Why Future Spa i hear you ask. Well, where does a 17 year old get a donor game from? 'Dial-A-Deal' in Leeds of course. I went there with my old man, as he used to by lots of games off them. As we arrived there was a game sitting outside in the rain. We enquired as to its fate, and the owner 'Bob' said , its yours if you want to take it away. Amazingly all the boards and parts were ok and not damaged by the outdoor experience !!

Good Times!

OMG, @myPinballs! A FUTURE SPA just sat in the rain for the taking :eek: Woah, pinball really hit a low back in the day...

Very impressed with your HIGH VOLTAGE. I must have put on at least 5 of the 535 games ;)

farm6.staticflickr.com_5560_14923892489_c64f3b52cc_c.jpg

farm6.staticflickr.com_5583_14923941570_c21b3145f7_c.jpg

Resurrecting this old thread. Yes, another 10 years has passed, and now i have some questions...

What should i do with this old game?? Should it be gifted to one of the uk pinball clubs/venues? Would any of them even want such a game? Would anyone else want to do something with it? I would love to hear peoples thoughts

After the last show outing, it was enjoyed for alittle while before going back into storage. Another 10 years has passed if you can believe that and it is still in good condition as far as i can tell being wrapped up in a dry garage, but my mum is now moving house and starting a new chapter in her life and the storage option for it is expiring really. She said i can still store it in her new house, but to be honest i think its unfair to ask any longer and its time to make a decision on it. It can't stay just wrapped up and toomstoned forever...

I'd like to hear peoples thoughts. I don't really have the space for it any longer here and have moved on really with games i am involved in creation wise, Magic Girl, Revenge From Mars, Whirlwind, Indy etc

Some pics taken yesterday. Alittle dusty but wrapped up , waiting for some new love! Kind of sad to see it just sitting here.

As a reminder this is a re-theme of the bally game future spa, that i created from scratch in 1993.

IMG_2735.JPGIMG_2736.JPGIMG_2737.JPGIMG_2738.JPGIMG_2739.JPGIMG_2740.JPG

Last edited:
Left out in the rain at dial a deal..
Every time l went there you could load up a space invaders or pacman video just dumped outside. That was the early 90s
High voltage is great . Would be a great addition to the new Republic.
The only custom game l saw before this in the UK was Keith bests zac locomotion rethemed as pinball express complete with funnel topper running a smoke machine

My votes are for
1) A venue that will let folks play it and keep it running. @Tilt_Birmingham
2) A grand tour of locations and houses with the requirement people can visit and play it at least bit.

Back
Top Bottom