What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

13 - Lucky for some (Competitive pinball, the youth!)

roadshow16

Site Supporter
Alias
CMP
So I've just been reading an article on the front page of the IFPA website

https://www.ifpapinball.com/arvid-flygare-ifpas-2021-player-of-the-year/

about a young man called Arvid Flygare who is now the 6th highest ranked player in the world. He is 13 years old. I have played Arvid 8 times

https://www.ifpapinball.com/players/compare.php?p1=9560&p2=49549

over the years, he has never beaten me. In our last meeting, I do actually remember playing him on Twilight Zone and thinking he had some excellent skills, he put up around 350 million, this was at the UK Open in 2019 at Flipout, he was 11 then.

In 2021 what he has done is frankly miraculous. The leap he has made between the ages of 12-13 is staggering. Sweden is a hotbed for pinball, with some of the very best players in the world. Last week was the Boras pinball open, he won 4/5 of the tournaments that took place, including modern tournaments and classic tournaments. He beat Jorgen Holm, past world champion and past world number 1 player, in every tournament. That level of consistency, is astonishing.

We have also seen similar rises in other players, most notably in Escher Lefkoff who won the PAPA world championships at the age of 13 and Johannes Ostermeier who between the ages of 13 and 16 destroyed all the best players in the world and rewrote how to play the game, winning the IFPA world championship.

As a teacher I have sited machines at school and it's very clear that between the age of 11 and 13 is where there is the biggest interest in the machines. I have also always been very interested in watching documentaries about child prodigees and the journeys they go on.

In each of the above examples, these boys grew up in households where they had parents who loved pinball, loved competing in pinball and had machines at home. They all started playing in competitions from a very young age. They all travelled to play in big competitions from 9/10 years old. At that age they all had great skills, but lacked consistency, lacked the experience, but in a few short years, from 10-13 , they amassed enough experience of playing against excellent players and gaining consistency in their play. It's also clearly an age where you can become completely obsessed with things, most commonly I see it at school with boys playing Xbox or PlayStation games. Clearly in the above cases, these boys have become completely obsessed with getting better at pinball, learning the skills and rules to the games.

I was completely obsessed with pinball between the ages of 13-16, I so wish I had known about competition at that age! My high score of 13.1 Billion on Roadshow that I got when I was 16 still stands, I haven't been able to get near it since!

I do think it's fascinating. As we have seen at some of the high profile tournaments in the USA, tournaments are being dominated by young boys who have been brought up on Pinball from a very young age. It's interesting from a pedagogical perspective, when the learning takes place, when we are most susceptible to learning and when we are able to make big advancements with things. It's also clear that after the age of 17/18, when life all of a sudden becomes real, perhaps it's trickier for these advancements to be made and priorities change, we are already seeing this with Johannes and in the past with Joshua Henderson.

Names to watch out for
Johannes Ostermeier, Escher Lefkoff, Arvid Flygare, Paul Englert, Zach McCarthy, Jared August, Colin Urban, Aleksander Kaczmarczyk, Viggo Lowgren.

Whether these guys go on to join the cannon of pinball greats like Keith Elwin, Bowen Kerins, Jorian Engelbrektson etc will be interesting to see.

Well done Arvid

I was a far better player at 13 . Less real life distraction. Just play the game without worrying about breaking it or what is worth!

I wish me and my younger brother had access to all of this when we were of that age, could have been a very different story for us now lol,

The skill the winners of any tournament to play a diverse amount of pinballs is the part I respect the most,

Quite frankly they need to sit on the naughty step and stop beating the grown-ups.

Last week my son beat me 5 times in a row . . . . suffice to say the pocket money is much reduced this month.

The gap in places to play pinball through the 2000-2015 probably extended the winning careers of a few folks more than what the real normal should be with no places for kids to play unless they had a father with the interest. Pretty much all of the top young players have a dad who is also a decent player.

Zach McCarthy is a fantastic kid and superb player who sadly doesn't get to many events although he is going to INDISC 2022 so will be interesting to see how he does along with many of the names you note. Also watch out for Carlos who is a fantastic player and spends a lot of time practising - he's going to be at INDISC also. I'd also add Matthew Richardson who did the epic lowest pinclash qualifier. (Zach won it). Jared August probably the best mannered kid I've ever met and a fantastic player, chatted to him a lot at INDISC in 2020 and he gave me some feedback on playing JP2.

I definitely feel age creeping up on me on this stuff, playing halo infinite, I finished the first couple of Halo's on Legendary without too much trouble. On infinite I had to crank it down - just not good enough anymore and not enough practising!

my recommendation though is for those who play in competition is to play the best you can play and enjoy it as much as you can - when you see good players not enjoying it and getting frustrated its a natural downward spiral.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Neil McRae: I would like to know a little bit more about the incindent from wich you choose to state that his attitude "sucks"? I think it is a rather harsh epithet coming from a grown up regarding an, at the time, 11 year old kid.

Arvid has frequented my pinball place from when he was 7 years old and has grown in a lot of ways, physically, mentally and above all he has become an excellent player. From nowhere he started putting up new high scores on machines that had been static for many years.
But what i think is his strongest feature is that he always acts as the perfect opponent. He is courteous and always has a kind word in winning as well as in defeat. For me to see someone saying that his attitude as a player sucks is really unpleasant and leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

@Neil McRae: I would like to know a little bit more about the incindent from wich you choose to state that his attitude "sucks"? I think it is a rather harsh epithet coming from a grown up regarding an, at the time, 11 year old kid.

Arvid has frequented my pinball place from when he was 7 years old and has grown in a lot of ways, physically, mentally and above all he has become an excellent player. From nowhere he started putting up new high scores on machines that had been static for many years.
But what i think is his strongest feature is that he always acts as the perfect opponent. He is courteous and always has a kind word in winning as well as in defeat. For me to see someone saying that his attitude as a player sucks is really unpleasant and leaves a sour taste in my mouth.
Did you join to make this post, welcome btw,

Yep, and also to find out a little bit about whats happening in the UK, pinballwise :)

well if you see me at an event "P Q" feel free to ask me - but it sounds like it was a one off which I'm glad to hear and everyone is entitled to one bad day.

Regards,
Neil.

Johannes Ostermeier, Escher Lefkoff, Arvid Flygare, Paul Englert, Zach McCarthy, Jared August, Colin Urban, Aleksander Kaczmarczyk, Viggo Lowgren.
Looking back at this 2 years on - not a bad call.

Of the 9 people you mention - 6 are now in the top 10

2 - Escher
4 - Zach
5 - Arvid
6 - Viggo
8 - Paul
10 - Johannes

13 - Jared
55- - Colin

Aleksander being your 'worst' pick at only 196th (but with an eff%ge of 57% is likely more down to opportunities to compete rather than skill level).

So who is going to be challenging these players in 2 years time, or will they still be there dominating?

Not taking anything away from their skill (they are clearly far better than I ever will be). I wonder how much a shorter height is an advantage? I know my kids could see shots in a way that I never could. [not to mention my super slow old person reaction time and **** poor eyesight]
There does seem to be a point where rules click with kids and they go from easily being able to make shots to then combining it with a strategy and as such their score blow up.
Growing up with pins also has to be a massive advantage in terms of practice etc.
I remember Martin Raison beating most adults as a young teen. I’m guessing he’s an infrequent player nowadays but it would be interesting to see if he’s improved or not over time.

Interesting to look back. Weird that I missed Jason Zahler off the list, he's the number one straight up killer.

For all these guys it's a combination of passion for it and the ability to play massive schedules. I'm pretty confident that if Alek and Colin played the same schedules as Arvid and Viggo they would be right up there too, they are the real deal.

The ones I missed and a few other names going forward.

Dalton Ely, he's an absolute beast, just doesn't play as much as those top 10 guys, but he's absolutely incredible.

Timber Engelbeen as we have had the pleasure of witnessing at the UK Open is immense, it's just whether he can get to enough tournaments to be at the very top. Again, if he played Arvid's schedule, I think he would be right up there.

And Kassidy Milanowski, only 17 and she has been ranked top 50 in the world and for quite some time was the top woman in the world. Immense

A few more with potential, but definitely more outside shots. Sterling Mitoska looks immense, he has the potential to be a future Escher if he keeps going (not yet 13). Jiro Suvanto (not yet 13) took down our very own PUP in the EPC last year, incredible skills on display.

Gregory Kennedy and Zachary Parks, both excellent players, but maybe slightly below the world beaters in the top 10

The obvious anomaly to all of this theorising about passion and big schedule though is Johannes. He doesn't really play, his schedule is so far and away below all those other guys in the top 10, he's more in line with Timber and Dalton. And yet he's still number 5 in the world. That is completely ridiculous.

Maybe he is the true future GOAT

Attachments

• IMG-20231022-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20231022-WA0007.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 27
Not taking anything away from their skill (they are clearly far better than I ever will be). I wonder how much a shorter height is an advantage? I know my kids could see shots in a way that I never could. [not to mention my super slow old person reaction time and **** poor eyesight]
There does seem to be a point where rules click with kids and they go from easily being able to make shots to then combining it with a strategy and as such their score blow up.
Growing up with pins also has to be a massive advantage in terms of practice etc.
I remember Martin Raison beating most adults as a young teen. I’m guessing he’s an infrequent player nowadays but it would be interesting to see if he’s improved or not over time.
Martyn Raison, fantastic player. Hopefully he will play more again in the future. It's great to see that Will Dutton is starting to play more too, including heading to Sweden for ECS next week 🙌

And just for good measure 🤣

about a young man called Arvid Flygare who is now the 6th highest ranked player in the world. He is 13 years old. I have played Arvid 8 times

https://www.ifpapinball.com/players/compare.php?p1=9560&p2=49549

over the years, he has never beaten me. In our last meeting,

Myself and Arvid have now played each other quite a few more times than 8 since 2021. Safe to say the statement 'he has never beaten me' didn't last long after I wrote it!

It looks like I fell off a cliff 😂

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-02-27-20-21-07-846_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-02-27-20-21-07-846_com.android.chrome.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
I bet physiology or rather physical reaction and dilated time perception have a lot to do with the performance of these younger players?

Their bodies are newer, nerve endings fresher and their perception of the passage of time slower.

Also, they have more grey matter at that age - before the affects of ageing, alcohol etc start killing off brain cells.

Back
Top Bottom