What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12 inch deep throat.......

Hi Gaz,

Can I ask where you got that from as I've been trying to find one of those for ages - have only ever seen one 12 incher and that was in the states!

Cheers
Geoff

You're right there Rudi. It's already bent outta shape.
Geoff. I shared your pain trying to find one and in the end it was ordered from the states. My mate ordered it so I'm not sure where it came from but it cost about £30. Not sure if that included postage or not.
Not sure why they're so scarce in the UK. Perhaps we seem like a nation that doesn't appreciate a good deep throat:eek:

Yeah see how you get on mate. The 12" buckled after half a dozen inserts making the rest very tricky. The clamp is now pretty much ****ed

A hairdryer, an hammer and a piece of dowel in my view the best way to level inserts. Once level glue the underside of I sent to playfield.
Job done.

A hairdryer, an hammer and a piece of dowel in my view the best way to level inserts. Once level glue the underside of I sent to playfield.
Job done.

me n Daz had to do this on most of the inserts on my Ramones pin - tho that was a pleasant experience due to the kick ass music - Ramones and TBR :cool:

Ouch! £30 for half a dozen inserts. Hammer and block sounds like a much more economic alternative. Having not done any insert replacements I can't speak from experience, but I did read in one of the Vid1900 posts on Pinside.com that using a clamp is good as it holds the insert in place until the glue is dry. Sometimes if you level with a block the insert might move during drying. One problem I can imagine with the hammer method is that if you do more than one at a time (and they're close to each other) they might shift as you tap another one level.

Eventually I'll be a dab hand at this as I want to make a new playfield from scratch for PARAGON, so I'll be doing 56 inserts altogether! I think I'll rig of some kind of large press/jig so I can squeeze a block of inserts all at the same time. No wait... thinking about it you don't level new inserts... you leave them proud then sand them flat with the playfield. Mmm...

I do prefer the hammer method when the playfield is stripped and out of the machine. But the vibration and general abuse when it's still in the machine always worries me. If something breaks, it means I've gotta solder. And you do wanna make me solder:eek:

Even the hammer method with painted existing inserts, rather than fresh replacements?

Girlfriend and I were browsing for a holiday on my iPad yesterday when she saw the title of this thread in the tabs along the top :D. Was a funny moment.

What glue do you use & how do you apply it (some inserts leave very little room to get much in there & I'm worried about getting glue on them in the wrong places that would cloud the insert).

Regards,
Dan.

Back
Top Bottom