What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wanted Zac EM backbox

Phado

Registered
EM parts required to complete a Queen's Castle project - any parts, circuits or ideas welcome

So you bought the one on ebay then? :)

It had been for sale for ages at silly prices, but the seller has finally dropped it to a sensible price, and it looks like you picked it up.

You are going to hate me, but I was offered a Queens Castle (complete) backbox years ago for £50 which may or may not have belonged to this machine, but I had no use for it so passed, I can't even remember where that was now sorry, but it was so long ago it's not likely to be kicking aorund at the same place anymore.

Personally I thought the machine had reached a price where it would make a nice coffee table if you don't find a head box ;)

As I posted earlier, I'm looking for helpful leads or ideas or information - but thanxx for noticing anyways

Yes I did get the eBay pin - my first one and chosen because it is pretty play field and a mechanical pin to fix-up. I'm beginning to foresee quite a hassle in getting parts and information that will enable me to get this going. I'd love the chance to see any other Zac EM pin to look inside the back box and estimate what mechanicals I'm going to need. Any leads would be helpful.

A Williams back box from the same era should also be OK as that is what the game is basically. You should find some images of inside the backbox by searching for Zaccaria EM games on IPDB.

Unless you are lucky and find a backbox for your specific machine, I'd guess finding all the internal parts to build it up will be a nightmare, and you can get a fully working, but project standard ZAC for £150 or less instead.

Here's some pics of the inside of my ZAC Moonflight to show you what you will need to find / construct. If your machine is multi-player, it will have a lot more stuff in it for all the players' scores.

IMAG0007.jpg
IMAG0006.jpg
IMAG0005.jpg

Last edited:
Thanxx for helpful and hopeful posts this morning - I don't know where the best marketplace for pins goes on apart from eBay.

Thanxx for helpful and hopeful posts this morning - I don't know where the best marketplace for pins goes on apart from eBay.

Here :). Just place a wanted ad for a complete but project EM - there's been a few on here over the last few months at low prices.

Unless you are lucky and find a backbox for your specific machine, I'd guess finding all the internal parts to build it up will be a nightmare, and you can get a fully working, but project standard ZAC for £150 or less instead.

Here's some pics of the inside of my ZAC Moonflight to show you what you will need to find / construct. If your machine is multi-player, it will have a lot more stuff in it for all the players' scores.

View attachment 18501 View attachment 18502 View attachment 18503
Thank you JT - pics are a real help. I see all late model EM Zac pins have a six digit score but only register scores above 100. Maybe all the backbones of that era use the same parts with variations of the circuit. - Phado

You should be able to use either Zacc or Williams score reels, you will need five. You also need a bracket to hold five, that may need to come from a Zacc as they scored in millions. I'm not sure if Williams made a bracket for five reels. I can check the diameter of the reels for you, they made two diffent sizes at least. The circuit boards should be the same if you can re wire them. I have images of the Zacc boards for you to compare. The ball count unit is a Zacc only part, but you may be able to wire a Williams to work. The relays should not be a major problem, again Williams will work, it's just a matter of building them with the right number & type of switches. The replay unit should be easy to find, Williams or Zacc will work. You might have to alter the switch stack but the rest should be the same. If the Magic City Dave has is complete, it is the right box, I reckon, and will have a lot of the parts you need in it. Just check the back g lass dimensions against his, make sure the glass will fit. You could probably alter the light board to use or cut a new one, it's only ply. I am currently restoring a 1978 Ski Jump, which is the same year as your game, at least. I can send you detailed images and descriptions of the relays etc., it may help.

Last edited:
I have some backboxes for sale.
Magic City. Full House. Elektra. Plus some other Williams ones.
Dave
www.pinballdaze.co.uk
I have some backboxes for sale.
Magic City. Full House. Elektra. Plus some other Williams ones.
Dave
www.pinballdaze.co.uk
You should be able to use either Zacc or Williams score reels, you will need five. You also need a bracket to hold five, that may need to come from a Zacc as they scored in millions. I'm not sure if Williams made a bracket for five reels. I can check the diameter of the reels for you, they made two diffent sizes at least. The circuit boards should be the same if you can re wire them. I have images of the Zacc boards for you to compare. The ball count unit is a Zacc only part, but you may be able to wire a Williams to work. The relays should not be a major problem, again Williams will work, it's just a matter of building them with the right number & type of switches. The replay unit should be easy to find, Williams or Zacc will work. You might have to alter the switch stack but the rest should be the same. If the Magic City Dave has is complete, it is the right box, I reckon, and will have a lot of the parts you need in it. Just check the back g lass dimensions against his, make sure the glass will fit. You could probably alter the light board to use or cut a new one, it's only ply. I am currently restoring a 1978 Ski Jump, which is the same year as your game, at least. I can send you detailed images and descriptions of the relays etc., it may help.
Thanxx to nick for taking time to explain - is the replay unit the larger reel numbered up to 30 or more?
I'm resigned to making a new back box because the Zacc back glass is a different shape and proportions. I'm up for making a new wiring harness for the entire back box. My present dimemna is not having a back box to work out which parts on the circuit diagram I haven't got!!

Well I'm workin on a 1978 Zaccaria Ski Club back box / glass at the moment. I have the head from a 1968 Williams Ding Dong right next to me. I've just measured the back box and back glass on both and they are identical. Glass is 20" x 24" and box 22 3/4" x 26 3/4". I can't imagine that Magic City is any different. Dave has other Williams boxes if it is, ask him for dimensions. What size is your back glass?
Yes, replay unit has a drum numbered to 37 on a Zacc, but any unit with 25 or more will do. Zacc has a plastic drum, some may be alloy on Williams, it doesn't matter.
In the back box:
Replay unit, step up, step down. Knocker switch on step up arm. Zero position switches on unit (2 - I guess one to stop start button function when no replays showing and one to light the lamp under the insert in the bottom apron to show there are replays available)).
Match unit (could use a Williams score reel as that is what Zacc did, but they used a pair of circuit boards, mirror of each other, the one not found on score reels may be hard to find. They also used a cam unit with a wiper each side, again, could be hard to find unless you get the Zacc unit)
Ball count unit, step up / step down switch stack has 1 n/o and one make break switch.
High score adjust Jones plugs and socket.
Reset score relay.
100 - 1,000 - 10,000 - 100,000 score relays.
Jones plugs to connect pf? and motor board to back box.
High score sign adjust Jones plug single and socket double.
Match number lamps 10.
Ball in play lights (5) (or 9 if your game is convertible from replay to add a ball. If it is, you need the Jones plugs & socket for that). If it is, feature adjust plug will be shown on the schematic.
Scene lights.
Bonus ball light (if your game has a bonus ball feature, check the back glass to see if it has 'bonus ball' to light up).
Game over light (2)
Tilt light.
You should be able to locate the switches and circuit board wiring on the back box units from the schematic. There will be EOS switches on all score units except the millions, 0 position and 9th position switches on the score units except the millions unit, which won't have a 9th position or EOS switch because it has no unit to roll when it reads 9 and no relay to de energise.
Where are you, you can come and look at the back box from Ski Club until Wedneday, then it's gone to a new owner.

Last edited:
Mate,
I've just took around 30 good images of the light board and individual components. PM me an email address and I'll send them to you. I think they may be a bit much to post here.

Nick reckons the Magic City box will have a lot of the parts I need so I could be interested. Are the mechanisms workable?
Sorry, didn't see this post to me. I will upload some photos today. All parts will be available at the UK Pinball party.

Nice pic of the luxurious pool sneaked in on the first pic.
Just goes to show you can make loads of money at this game.
Don't forget my invite when it's the pool party.

Back
Top Bottom