What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

wtd- empty cab/non working

hamual

Registered
Would like to build myself a digital pin (been playing with a tv on its side for a while now...) and was wondering what sort of price I would play for a non working cabinet. If anyone has one then please let me know, I'm based in Ipswich but own a van and can travel depending on the condition. Thanks!

And one in Diss, not a million miles away (although it does involve the A140)

oh, and my Virtual Pin is about 80% done now if you fancy swopping notes.

Cheers guys. I found a non working Williams Miss O nearby, didn't pay much for it at all. The back flash is peeling and the paint work has been 're-done' at some point, the playfeild however looks pretty good, even the rubbers are still intact.

Seems a suitable donor cab unless anyone thinks otherwise (I wouldn't know where to start fixing it up), if it does get butchered I'll obviously have the parts to sell if someone's interested.

Macro, I'd love to hear all about your virtual table, did you build from scratch or an existing cab? Any pictures, info, pitfalls/problems you've come up against please let me know.

Gaz, do you own many machines yourself? I've been throwing lots of gold coins into an Indianna Jones (new version) at The Old Times on Spring Road, also noticed a Spiderman in The County on friday too
smile-1.png

Ta.

I've only the space for one I'm afraid. I sold it yesterday so am now pinless:-(

Just waiting to buy my next one though, instead of buying the first thing which comes along I'm gonna wait for something I really want. 7 pins have been out the door in the last 18 months!!!

Funnily enough I also play the IJ at the old times, I was top of the tournament play for a while, now off the chart:-(.

My mate owns Dave Wallis car audio opposite so I often go for a game over there!

There's sometimes a pin to play in dave wallis set to free play, he did have an A13 on there but think he's sold it now.

Good intel on the SM in the county, I'll have to check it out.

Good luck with your virtual pin mate

Gaz

Sounds like we need to sort out a meet up sometime.

The Hyperpin Thing was my old PC (when I upgraded) along with a couple of old screens from the local TV hire company (got to love digital switchover as they needed to swop out all the rental sets) and a Williams Flash carcass.

Last time I took a photo it looked like this (assuming the link works) - now has all the wiring in and controls done, and actually plays. need to mount the playfield screen and then tart it up!

pin-1.jpg

Looks cool, it's gonna be one huge tv to make the pf. I'd love to try it out when it's done. Be interested to see how they play.

37" Usually, IIRC. This is why I've never done it yet. By the time you've got a 37" LCD (play field), a 28" LCD (back box) and a 19" LCD (DMD), plus a PC and graphics setup capable of driving it all, it usually adds up to one expensive project!

Just got a 37 inch samsung on ebay, fingers crossed it'll fit once its decased, got my other two screens aswell. Just need to sort out a pc now. Really don't know how much to spend, what graphics card, processor etc.....

Any tips would be much appreciated, cheers

As much as you can??

On a slightly more serious note, £600 built me a PC with a quad core i7 and 6GB of triple channel memory plus an ATI 6870 GPU earlier in the year. You can probably go a bit cheaper to help with costs as I was specifically building something that would run Windows 7 and OS X Lion. Remember though that you'll need two graphics cards. Or at least I assume you would. But I would think that you could run the main screen and the backbox from your very beefy card and maybe just something like an NVidia 9800 for the DMD? You're going to ant a pretty reasonable PSU as well.

Please remember that I've not actually done any of this!

I was hoping to do it for about 30o but thats now looking 500+.

Looking at a quad core i5, 4G ram, a gtx 460, an SSD + 700w power supply.

Then all the button wiring and ventilation, tilt mech of some sort & cab restoration/modification it all adds up!

Oh well, got all my screens in now, been playing of an intel atom (old EM tables are fine, and a lot of tables play good until multiball) and it looks promising.

Cheers

I got an SAPPHIRE HD 5770 FleX graphics card, so the single card drives all 3 screens.

I tried 2 Nvidia's before that, but had problems with future pinball across 2 different cards (even though both used the same driver)

This card seems to have sorted it, and by using flex, the bezel screen and the DMD screen appear as one screen (at 1280x2048) - so fire up FP and it puts playfield on one screen. backdrop and DMD on the other (which covers both screens) - fire up VP and hyperpin puts backdrop on bezel, VP puts playfield on main screen, and pinmame puts DMD on DMD screen.

I still need to mount the playfield screen, keep getting distracted with real pinballs turning up! (but it plays OK with the screen still cased resting on the top of the pin carcass!)

Ah, that's worth knowing - didn't think you'd be able to do it with a single graphics card. That makes it cheaper too! Have never heard of a Flex card to be honest. Live and learn
tongue-1.png

Hi guys not a good idea using 1 gfx card on 3 screens it could cause stutter especially with the newer hi res tables[attachment=313:photo0012E001.jpg]

perfect fit for a standard cab is a 40inch debeseled, 28 inch back screen but not widescreen, and a 17 lcd for the dmd

i got 2 nvidia's in mine works fine in future pin and vp with hyperpin as front end

then for fun throw in a ledwiz 5 rgb led lights a strobe, 5 or 6 siemens contactors for the bumpers flippers etc,couple of tilt switches,

replay knocker,shaker motor and gear motor for moving parts like gate on mm or moving heads, 12months of spare time a lot of money and hey presto 100 pins in your house lol

Looks good!

I could never get Future Pinball to work with multiple graphics cards (although of course, it's mega easy with Virtual Pinball and the same setup)

FP seems fine with the 3 screens on one card, not done much testing with VP - although virtually all of the pins I want on the machine are in FP anyway, so may not bother with VP at all.

version 2 (assuming I ever actually finish version 1 - I keep getting real pinballs delivered to play with!) will only have 2 screens, a 37" playfield and a 37" translite / DMD combined. (would need to be same width to fit the lower part down into the cabinet), but that will be way down the road! Also need to work out where to put the speakers - may be gottlieb layout then with speakers at the top.

like the artwork, but when they are all in a row you can't see it anyway!

Just bought me a GTX460 graphics card, gonna get an i5 processor/motherboard soon. Doubt I'll bother with graphics/artwork, my vitual pin will be so ghetto. Belt sanding the boxes & stripping the donor cab this week, anyone want a Williams EM backbox?? I'll be making up a new un to fit the 26" in.

Back
Top Bottom