What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wpc game won't boot

darren_ross

Registered
5Years
Hi.
I've done all the usual checks. Fuses look okay.
Reseated everything and still nothing.
The dalek on top of machine lights up and nothing else. Am i missing something here?

Screenshot_2017-02-09-18-09-55.png
D19 snd d21 are on. Nothing else

What are the LED's doing on the MPU board? are all the voltages present on the driver board?

The two red leds are just stuck on. No others are lit. I don't have a meter with me but I'd say there's no power to it. But the topper is lit.

So d19 should of gone out but hasn't.
Game was fine when it was switched off last night and then didn't start around 3pm today. Another possible board problem?

Try reseating the top right ribbon cable that connects to Dmd driver. Reseat at the Dmd driver end. You may have done this already as you said youve reseated everything, but you may not have meant 'everything'.

Then see if the cpu boots with only its power supply connected. The one below the short ribbon cable connector.

Thanks Andy. Everything was done but I'll do these again. May have missed something here. Very strange how it started itself up for about 10 mins and went off again though.

Thanks Andy. Everything was done but I'll do these again. May have missed something here. Very strange how it started itself up for about 10 mins and went off again though.
That could be a flaky connection or a cold solder joint.

Am i right in saying if i swap over the mpu (battery board) with another, all i have to replace are the two roms. That's the next port of call I'm thinking.
Just the one ROM U6. Triple check you have it in the right way before you power up the game. If you put it in backwards you WILL fry the EPROM.

Am i right in saying if i swap over the mpu (battery board) with another, all i have to replace are the two roms. That's the next port of call I'm thinking.

Provided that the 'new' board hasn't come from one of the early Wpc games, with alpha-numeric displays. They had a different wire 'jumper' link (for memory size). Not especially difficult to change, but a dot-matrix game won't boot with that jumper set for the smaller size. AIR it's W1/W2, alongside the program chip socket; in your picture it's a zero-ohm resistor, with a single black band

C
Provided that the 'new' board hasn't come from one of the early Wpc games, with alpha-numeric displays. They had a different wire 'jumper' link (for memory size). Not especially difficult to change, but a dot-matrix game won't boot with that jumper set for the smaller size. AIR it's W1/W2, alongside the program chip socket; in your picture it's a zero-ohm resistor, with a single black band
Cftbl and dr who are they same i think.

Yes, apart from trial-runs on late System 11 games, the three to beware of would be Funhouse, Harley-Davidson and Bride of PinBot.

Update for future reference.
Changed over the MPU board and it booted up fine. Another board to be repaired. Thanks for the pointers guys

Back
Top Bottom