What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would you buy a whitewood game ?

Sgt GrizZ

Registered
Ex PinballInfo Admin . MIA Brighton Hove beach
Alias
Ive
Having just seen a Starship Troopers whitewood for sale

http://s890.photobucket.com/albums/ac106/kangaroo900/starshiptrooperspinball/

I was thinking ....all well and good as a talking point, and interesting to the pin trainspotters but really I just wouldn't want a game missing all the playfield artwork ....
rolleyes-1.gif

To quote Dr Jones ' It belongs in a museum '
biggrin-1.png

Seriously these protos, one off etc should go to one of the various large Stateside pinball museums .

I want to play my machines and I would feel bad playing something that was a one off or rare. If it was made of rare blackwood, I would buy that...
wink-1.png

Surely the whitewood only exists so that a designer can get the details right ready for the Production game so with that in mind I wouldn't want one....rather buy a Production version and get the full experience. The lack of art work would be a major negative plus the possibility that the whitewood I had didn't have the final bit and pieces sorted so doesn't play exactly as the designer intended.

If you really want an early version of a game then I think hunting down a prototype is a better bet...and then only if it had some feature that got removed for the main production run, like Earthshaker. The only caveat I'd have on this is if it's a whitewood of a game that never made it into Production (like Total Recall....especially if it was Total Recall
biggrin-1.png
) but even then I'd go with Ive and say it should be in a museum
smile-1.png

I think you'd have to have an extremely large collection or a huge desire to own a whitewood to actually make owning one worthwhile. Or extremely rare (total recall, krull, etc)... :cool:

Or if you happen to be an artwork genius who can apply his/her own special playfield design.

Why not just make your own? :eek:[attachment=1349:taf rebuild 006.jpg]This was done because the playfield was way past being repaired , This will be used as a alternate artwork Addams once I have the time to spend on it.

Watch this space
rolleyes-1.gif
Well maybe not this space but I will post on here once it gets started.

I will be willing to listen if anyone has some art ideas on this. Get in touch if you fancy helping out.

Not had much time to even think about it as yet Dave.

Its going to have to be something special to even get close to the original.

Maybe model it on the original 60's series. Who know its going to take a lot of thinking about.

DIRTY POOL OLD MAN.:suspect:

Aaaarrragh.... the thought of sanding my playfield horrifies me, but I guess you could turn this into something really cool. Were you thinking of hand drawn art or photoshop? I'd be really interested in seeing the finished results. Would you keep the cab as is or also eventually redo it? I'm guessing Poibug would have loads of tips after his work on his Ramones pin.

Keep us all posted as it comes together.

Could be a niche business here, redrawing some truly dodgy playfield artwork (I'm looking at you, strangely Chinese looking Nazi on my IJ;) - always thought it was some kids failed GCSE art project)

My jaw dropped when i saw that taf pic. Well done that man!

I think i would go for redrawing most of the original playfield with some added features/colours or maybe even characters from other pins (frogs from Scared Stiff, evil rabbits from ToM etc...) Uncle fester between the flippers would be be redone to look like Tom Selleck in magnum P.I. and lots of rippled gold leaf for the TAf logo in the middle of the PF.....Christ, the possibilities are endless.....

i like Russ' thinking about sticking to TAF characters but with a spin on it - maybe you could commission a good grafitti artist to come up with something? i looked on the web but these were all i could come up with -

[attachment=1364:welcome_to_the_addams_family_by_nerdsman567-d4pzmof.jpg]

i think the ideal would be for you to find someone skillful enough to recreate the characters as you and your friends/family, but doing this while keeping the essence of the originals is almost impossible. fascinating project though - i'll be watching with interest as this one develops

Back
Top Bottom