What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless home alarm

I used to install (wired) alarm systems. To be honest wireless alarms CAN be jammed, but overall the biggest negative for me is changing the batteries every year or so.

If I was you look in some local papers, you may find a company that can install a home alarm for not much more than your budget.

The parts are not that expensive for a wired alarm with say 3 PIR sensors. Maybe £150. Do you not have a sparky mate that could fit it. I used to install a system in one day EASILY and that includes lifting floorbaords and hiding cables.

To get a real good wireless system it costs a lot more than £300. The cheap systems are a little 'toy town'.

Just done a local search and found small alarm companies doing full installs for £325.

Agree, been fitting a few Reolinks today at home

There is that side too guys

I think your probably best sticking up a dummy bell box with a flashing LED (batteries last a couple of years) then hopefully someone else will get a visit!

Sorry but I think cctv is pretty useless. If you present the police wirh footage they still do f all.

The good thing about CCTV is that the night vision circle of LED’s will be visible at night as an extra deterrent. Good idea to plan your CCTV layout so that cameras are covering each other in case of vandalism.

As Pickholder says, CCTV is pretty useless mainly because the Police are useless. But the main idea of home security is to make your home less attractive to burglars and opportunistic thieves than your neighbours house. Don’t even think about dummy devices, those things are obvious to anybody with half a brain and the ability to google the manufacturer.

I buy dummy boxes the same as normal alarm boxes. With the flashing LEDs you won’t tell the difference as they are identical

The flashing LED’s are the giveaway to anybody who knows what they’re doing. Certainly with fake CCTV camera’s anyway. The technology is so cheap nowadays you’d be mad to go with dummy security.

The flashing LED’s are the giveaway to anybody who knows what they’re doing. Certainly with fake CCTV camera’s anyway. The technology is so cheap nowadays you’d be mad to go with dummy security.

I guarantee you couldn’t tell the difference in my two alarm bell boxes. Both use the same LED system.

Normally on installs you will put in two bell boxes. One dummy and one real.

I’ve had a few problems in the last year where CCTV has proved really useful. Not in terms of getting the Police involved, but certainly solved a few mysteries. Including my neighbour who prefers to fly tip mattresses and barstools outside my rear gates rather than put them in the back of his estate car and drive them half a mile up the road to the council tip!?! Also caught a gang of youths that were smashing people’s wing mirrors every weekend and managed to identify them through Facebook.

I've got cameras all around my house but sadly CCTV is a total waste of time as a deterrent these days. Especially if you and all your neighbours have it. used to be good as Joe blagger would go next door without the cameras. I've got video of parcel pirates, an attempted theft of my M5 and a ****wit amazon driver who took down my drive way lamp. only guilty verdict was the amazon driver and they coughed up!

thieves wear masks and are organised, usually after cars, or gold.

alarm and movement detection dog barking best thing you can do.

my alarm is wireless, to jam it you'd need serious power as it operates on a very short wave RF. and jamming it will set the alarm off. As noted CCTV is useful for lesser crimes...

Identify, Protect, Detect, Respond, Recover
A good security setup needs to consider them all. The police are not going to be your respond and recover. They are unlikely to get to a house in time and that comes from someone who has a system that pays for a police response. The recover is to get back to normality with the lowest impact.
I use CCTV to get piece of mind about what did happen and be able to piece together any activity to help Identify how to improve the Protect part.

My main system is a wireless mesh, all devices are meant to regularly report back so a jamming attack should cause a notification.
The batteries last 2 years, we replace them yearly (unless I forget).
It is out of date of features compared to the latest offerings but has all the accreditation required for the police respond.
It can have a module added to allow some control over the internet.

As I like to play with tech, I recently took advantage of a deal to buy the Ring alarm system (now owned by Amazon).
Easy as anything to set up. I get GSM back up when Wi-Fi is down and I can set and in set from my phone. I can extend it when I want, doesn’t need a professional installer, and I can set it up to control the areas I want. I have it running in the outbuildings and it has some limited connections into the Ring CCTV in that it will turn on all cameras to record and turn the flood lights on.
The actual alarm is not a great siren but making my phone buzz is. An automatic monitoring station calling me is also good. Chirping noises when motion is detected is also great for these spaces.
Uses the same batteries as the professional alarm and hasn’t had an issue with spiders yet....

Cheap for peace of mind but I still like my accredited system for now.

I have Amazon Blinks everywhere. Powered and battery back up. GSM alarm and stickers.

We have a lot of catalytic converters being taken off cars on driveways but they won't get under a mini cooper S.

There is also the risk of death sign just in case I'm in or near the premises which would also be live on Twitch as an alternative to ASMR I guess.

Think Equaliser...

Attachments

• 20200713_194538.jpg
    20200713_194538.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 9
As Neil pointed out the benefit of cctv is actually proving what happened. A few years back one of my company vans was stolen from our yard. Initially insurance said they were rejecting the claim as ‘it would be impossible to steal in less than 60 seconds so my employee must of left the keys in it’ I sent the cctv and heard nothing. Tbh I don’t think they even watched it. They tried to back up their claim when I sent them the vehicle key I had by insisting my invoice from auction sale stating sold with one key must be a mistake or forged. All nearly new vans have 2 keys they said....
Sent them the cctv for the second time. One week before court they fully paid up + compensation for indirectly accusing me of fraud + loss of earnings for the company being a van down for 6 months

Was a bit embarrased to mention it incase it's considered toy town, but I went with Eufy stuff: https://www.eufylife.com/uk/products/17/security

Battery life is really good, and there are no subscription fees. There are door sensors, keypads, motion sensors and so on, and the main advantage to me is that they ping your phone as soon as something worth being aware of is happening. (And of course they capture footage and allow two way communication and so on)

Was a bit embarrased to mention it incase it's considered toy town, but I went with Eufy stuff: https://www.eufylife.com/uk/products/17/security

Battery life is really good, and there are no subscription fees. There are door sensors, keypads, motion sensors and so on, and the main advantage to me is that they ping your phone as soon as something worth being aware of is happening. (And of course they capture footage and allow two way communication and so on)
Do you get any latency on the time they ping you.

Sometimes on Blink it can be a minute lag before notification though its being recorded.

Back
Top Bottom