What's new

Williams Sys 3-7 40 pin connector

Moonbus

Registered
What are people using to replace the male and female sides of the 40 pin MPU connector ?

Been having a look around and it seems that the recommended part numbers are no longer available over here and modern alternatives are not stocked at the suppliers I know.

Guy

I don't own this system but looking at that connector - if I was doing up this kind of system, if I needed to replace that connector, my first instinct would be to instead remove the entire connector assembly and replace it with an 40-pin Molex ribbon cable (as in computer IDE ports). The loads across those pins I think wouldn't be a problem for the thinner ribbon wire.

Did some research and that is apparently a commonly used solution.

But if you're willing to do the homework and take measurements of the connectors on the boards, you could buy wholesale OEM parts that will work perfectly, from a place such as Farnell, whom I regularly use for this kind of job - http://uk.farnell.com/c/connectors/board-to-board-connectors - remember, you don't need to buy a single 40-pin set of connectors, you can just buy several smaller ones and install side by side!

Good luck!

Last edited:
Yeah the general rule seems to be to use 4 banks of 10 to make up the 40.

If someone does not have a source for the bottom entry female connectors I think I will just reverse the femail header so it sticks out the back-side of the board.

(there has to be a butt joke in there somewhere)

Yeah the general rule seems to be to use 4 banks of 10 to make up the 40.

If someone does not have a source for the bottom entry female connectors I think I will just reverse the femail header so it sticks out the back-side of the board.

(there has to be a butt joke in there somewhere)
This guy has identified some suitable replacements that are Molex and should therefore be perfect replacements - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-40-pin-interconnect-on-williams-system-3-6-mpu

Thanks for looking. The bits are available state side but not on the UK market.
Mouser UK appears to have it? https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/Molex/09-48-3104/ - unless you mean there's nothing that isn't going to have to ship from America in which case, yeah... I don't think there'll be much luck with the Molex stock. the only saving grace is that the wholesale sites are VERY fast with their shipping. Farnell has gotten me stuff overnight just as par for the course, and I'm a nobody.

The shipping costs blow on these wholesale supply sites (Farnell included) until you qualify for free shipping, so I try to get around that by ordering craploads of passives for restoring boards. Mouser's cutoff is £33 to get free shipping.

Indeed, I got stuck waiting a month for something once, was available for immediate shipping (from manufacturer once they had 5000 requested).

I generally use Radio Spares at rswww.com as they have most things in stock.

Back
Top Bottom