What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Williams pcb interconnect molex upgrade?

deathrow

Registered
Hey all,

My black knight boards are pretty wrecked around the interconnect area due to repeated replacements by operators

The design seems odd as the through pins are always open to the crud build up and corrode readily..

So my question... has anyone done away with the interconnect system in favour of separating the board and having standard wired molex connectors?

Thank you

Edited: added game title

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of sys 11 games and over the years i've owned quite a few but apart from problems with the GI connectors i can't say i've had any other upsets.
My opinion is your making a rod for your own back as they say. It wouldn't be a 5 min job either and i personally can't see any benefit in doing it.
Perhaps your board(s) is/are the exception to the rule and are really bad or if you've not owned any sys 11 games before they are normal for a machine(s) 30 years old.

It’s not sys 11 it’s a 6/7 ? and yes it’s in very poor order around this area including fractured pcb laminate.

Very old and tired and prob not worth saving but I want to try anyway.. I guess it won’t hurt to experiment on such a machine?
Just interested to get opinions.

Thanks for the input

Attachments

• 4A5BFC46-1E18-4819-B384-8DB87312210A.jpeg
    4A5BFC46-1E18-4819-B384-8DB87312210A.jpeg
    191.9 KB · Views: 23
With the agreement of the owner I once hard wired the two boards together. The interconnect was there so that engineers could easily replace the more likely to be damaged driver board on site and replace with a spare. In reality when boards are this far gone and if you’re considering a bespoke connector option, you may as well go the whole hog and hardwire them together. Just means if you need to repair anything, the two boards have to be removed as a whole.

Back
Top Bottom