What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Williams Collection - Xbox 360 and PS3. Out today!!

Fintan Stack

Registered
Hi All

For those of you who are interested, The Williams Collection has finally been realesed on Xbox 360 and PS3 in the UK today. I received my copy yesterday as I had it on pre-order since about 1974.

Anyway, it's good! The tables look great and it features MM and TOTAN which the Wii version did not.

No subsitute for the real thing of course but it's as good as virtual pinball can be.

It's also cheap. Around the £25 mark in most places.

Just nipped into Gamestation to get a copy and use up some trade in credit and they'd sold out. Only had 2 copies come in and some bloke bought both of them :mad:

jonathan' date=' post: 1663165 said:
Might trade a couple of games in for it tomorrow

You know it makes sense!

I hope they do a Bally collection one too. Won't hold my breath though. This one took an age to be released. Every week the release date got put back another week. I had it on pre-order for months.

I got a copy imported from the US last year. A very enjoyable game worth the money I paid for it (approx £17). The table goals keep you coming back, but the un-lockable game was a bit disappointing.

Is this any better than Visual Pinball? I've got all the tables on my MAME cab so not sure whether it's worth bothering to get now.

I bought the Williams collection for Xbox about a month ago and loved it (rekindled my love affair with Taxi, and I've since bought the pin!)

In my view it's the best console based pinball game out there, better than Pinball FX2 which although also an excellent game, just doesn't nail the ball physics and hasn't got the nostalgia value of being based on real tables.

Farsight Studios, the developer of The Williams Collection, posted an interesting vid on YouTube that details how they go about putting their pinball games together. If nothing else you come away with the feeling that they're a group of pinheads that are incredibly meticulous about how they go about putting their video games together. Each digitised table has its playfield stripped down part by part for scanning before being recreated in software.

You can see the vid here:

Since The Williams Collection came out Farsight have also released Pinball Arcade for Xbox Live Arcade. The game was released with four tables (Tales of The Arabian Nights, Theatre of Magic, Ripley's Believe It Or Not, and Blackhole), but what's really interesting is that the developers have apparently secured licensing to release "90% of the top 40 pinball machines of all time". This will come in the form of downloadable content.

I don't know which list they see as being the top 40, but even if it isn't the IPDB list I'm excited that they're planning to release so many tables. It's an excellent way to get a feel for a table's gameplay and I think will help people to narrow down their short lists of wanted machines. I'd never played No Good Gofers until I played it on Xbox, so playing it for real at Slam last weekend was special, and in fact I'd like to own the table now.

Virtual pinball has come of age. Now, if only they could add the option of online multiplayer games.

Update: the latest tables to be released for Pinball Arcade are...

- Bride Of Pinbot

- Medieval Madness

Both were included in a download for £2.99 and have made it to the iPad version of the game. Haven't seen them appear on Xbox yet though.

This game is a great way to properly get to know a table before buying if you haven't got the real thing available nearby!

Looking forward to Cirqus Voltaire after reading Russ's post about it when he was selling it recently. The wizard mode sounds amazing.

Gorgar and Monster Bash now out on Android and iOS as well.

Farsight seem to be having troubles getting their downloadable content packages approved by Microsoft though. They still haven't managed to make Funhouse and Cirqus Voltaire available to us despite them both being out for some time on other platforms.

Still no sign of the DLC on Xbox though? Microsoft sure are holding things up.

Back
Top Bottom