What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Williams/Bally playfield slide mechanism

Ragnar1057

Site Supporter
Hi,
I've just bought a second hand machine (BSD) that is fitted with a playfield slide mechanism. It looks like this was not properly assembled prior to delivery.

I've never seen one of these before so I don't know how it should fit together. The playfield is a bit heavy for me to aimlessly try different positions to try to figure it out.
Please could someone post a photo or two of a machine with this mechanism in place and working? By that I mean I'd like to see how the slider fits to the metal plates in the inside of the cabinet.
TIA

Attachments

• Rails6.JPG
    Rails6.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 29
  • Rails7.JPG
    Rails7.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 27
Thanks,
What's the purpose of the hinged/sprung part? I'm struggling to visualise it.

Currently, the playfield is resting on the wooden strip that runs parallel to the floor - I need my poor brain to understand where it needs to be before I bust a blood vessel moving it:oops:

when you pull it forwards it locks into that hook. the spring hook releases against the bottom stop when you drop the playfield down to allow the playfield to be pushed back into the cabinet. Its fairly easy to put right with 2 people but lifting it out if its below is a pig to do.

If the slide mechanism is bent and/or the moving but binds on the rail then you will have to remove it to bash it back into shape. It’s very soft metal so easily bent.

No need to remove the playfield. Raise the playfield so that it’s resting upright against the back box and you should be able to remove the slide assembly whilst it’s resting upright.

Folks,
I'm still struggling with this - I can't believe I'm being beaten by something as simple as raising a playfield.

If I look inside the cabinet with the playfield closed, the playfield seems to be sitting correctly on its rails.
I then lift the front of the playfield just enough to slide it towards me and rest it on the safety brackets. However, the playfield rail doesn't latch around the pins that stick out horizontally inside the cabinet - not matter how hard/softly I pull the playfield towards me.

If I again look through the coin door, I can see that the sprung part of the playfield rail is sitting below the pins - preventing me from raising the playfield (see attached photo).

No matter how much I try to manoeuvre the playfield, I can't get it to latch around the cabinet pins and I can't hinge the playfield open. I've tried bringing it out at a shallow angle - and making myself short of breath by lifting the whole thing at quite a steep angle - same result.

Can anyone help please? This has to be a simple thing. I'm either doing something stupid or something isn't working properly.
TIA

Attachments

• 20220526_195220.jpg
    20220526_195220.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 21
Your brackets are mangled. The pointy bit needs to go between the two pegs. So you need to get the brackets out and straighten them up, or replace them.

This is what I do. Without pulling the playfield all the way forwards, lift the playfield directly up, so the back comes into contact with the wooden rails inside. Then wiggle it forwards and raise it up until you can rest it on the backbox. Then you should be able to deal with the slides. You might want to strap the playfield to the backbox for safety whilst you do this.

Videos to follow ( hopefully )

Done it - thanks very much for the help.
Following your videos, I've worked out a convoluted way of lifting and latching the playfield. Part of the problem seems to be that the hinges on each side seem to work asymmetrically - making me wonder if one is damaged. Now that I have the playfield lifted, I'll take a look.
I'm going to be doing a full restoration on this one so I might leave the hinges until I've stripped the playfield and made it a bit lighter;).

That's the most complex simple mechanical operation I've ever done.

Thanks again for the help - very much appreciated👍

If youve managed to lift it into the upright position, you can remove one slide at a time with it raised. The playfield will rest itself against the side whilst the slide is off. It might make it easier to raise and lower the playfield if you get it somewhere close to straight.

if you take some pics of the slides and post here, i'll advise

Back
Top Bottom