What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why is my rod so wobbly ?

Sgt GrizZ

Registered
Ex PinballInfo Admin . MIA Brighton Hove beach
Alias
Ive
So a while ago I put a new shooter rod in Tommy - repro with the red DE logo handle .

Bugging me though that’s it’s wobbly which is messing up launch shots as it won’t always hit the ball in the centre.

Is it just a crappy fit ? These Data East don’t have sleeves in them do they - just a brass bushing . Same as Sterns - comparing this to Mick On A Stick sat beside it , much tighter fit. Vid of the slack.

I know I should swap them around and compare but just thinking aloud 😁
View attachment trim.0E5089FB-81D6-4F71-947F-B05F4C8A1D6D.MOV

Last edited:
Mine is awful, I gave up messing with it and it launches very weak 99% of the time

I had exactly the same issue with my Twilight Zone.

The plastic knob of the old shooter was falling apart so I replaced with a new shooter rod.

This ruined the rather sensitive skill shot which has the weakest plunger spring fitted to a pinball machine.

I measured the width of the modern repro part with a vernier scale and found it narrower than an original. So my Space Station donated its OEM plunger as this game has no skill shot.

Problem solved.

In my experience modern repro parts are never as good as original components.

Same rod ?
No mate, I’ve tried a few of my spares and every different type of spring. None of which are right, I’ve left it weak as the ball at least doesn’t pop up in the air when it’s not hitting it centrally, which it does with alternatives.

Back
Top Bottom