What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who are you people?

D-Type

Registered
Alias
Phillip Eaton
Does anyone have a cross-reference list of who's who on this forum, and how they map to the Yahoo Group list? I've worked out that Bartron is Stan and there's no mistaking Grizz, but of those others with funny forum names, that's about it and so I'm completely lost. It's like it's a completely different set of people and I don't know anyone. :(

Who are you people?

D-Type

Isn't that half the fun?
Then you are in a room with them and worry about calling them GrizZ because you can't remember their real name but that is ok because you have no idea what they look like but could spot their WH20 a mile away. :p

I do not post much on the yahoo group but use Calimori to help people. You can add Paul to your list, he is Paul on there too. ;)

Phil,
You will just have to love or hate them all over again.
Like Calimori says its half the fun. You will soon learn who's who and have fun in doing so.

Like Calimori says its half the fun.

Disagree. Pinball to me is an interactive, social game, with real people who talk and laugh. There's a trust to be had that can only be cemented in reality. You have to start somewhere I guess, but IMO anything that masks my already established network is detrimental to my engagement with the hobby.

Disagree. Pinball to me is an interactive, social game, with real people who talk and laugh. There's a trust to be had that can only be cemented in reality. You have to start somewhere I guess, but IMO anything that masks my already established network is detrimental to my engagement with the hobby.

Phil
When you have been using the forum a lot more you start to put names to the people you are talking to, looking at your post so far 34 , no wonder you are struggling to put names to people.
On the Yahoo group you must have posted 1000's so you know most of the people on there and given time that will happen here to.
Give it time and you soon get to know who's who.

Phil
When you have been using the forum a lot more you start to put names to the people you are talking to, looking at your post so far 34 , no wonder you are struggling to put names to people.
On the Yahoo group you must have posted 1000's so you know most of the people on there and given time that will happen here to.
Give it time and you soon get to know who's who.

You're absolutely right. But I don't have the time to spend reading and posting to the forum all the time. Why would I want to re-learn all my pinball buddies when I knew them already?

Or, to put it another way, people using a different name on a new forum doesn't exactly make it appealing to old timers to migrate across, it's a barrier to entry.

I'm sure most people don't deliberately want to disassociate themselves with their 'old life', but it's like moving house and changing your phone number, then not telling anyone and expecting people to find it out for themselves.

JMHO...

But at the same time you've got to respect the fact that some people might not want to have their real name explicitly associated with their nick. I'm sure that's why your sig is P*h*i*l*l*i*p EEaattoon :)

It's quite a small hobby really. I've only been around a couple of years and I have a fairly decent grasp of who is who. (I remember playing Dolly Parton with your good self at the 2011 Pin Party for example)

Of course, they should walk around with a bag on their head also :)

My nick is covered with stars so that Google searches don't bring up all my posts when the database gets hacked as they're not very interesting to the average bod. I don't know if it works and I don't really post anything I might regret, but I would like the right to be forgotten! (Impossible, I know.)

Small hobby? Maybe, although I reckon I know several hundred pinball players personally around the world, but I still get friendly people coming up to me and saying "Hey, how're you doing Phil?" and I'm thinking "I have no idea who you are..." (but I always ask them who they are and then it usually clicks).

I wouldn't want a public list of matching real names to nicknames. People use nicknames to be able to have some anonymity on the internet, exactly the reason you have given for the *'s in your signature. I don't want someone to be able to profile me, see what I own and where I live and do my house over. 👅

When I go to a show or meet, I chat to people and we quickly work out who each other are. At the moment, this forum feels more intimate and friendly than the yahoo group because I can recognise the icon associated with people, see what machines they own in their signatures and the way we talk to each other. The yahoo group uses email which doesn't even have smilies faces to allow people to soften what they are saying. :)

What I am saying is that we all appreciate different things from the way we communicate with people so it is great there is this forum and a mail group, league meets, local comps etc. It ensures we can cater for everyones needs.

Back
Top Bottom