What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete WHITEWATER WH20 (continuation of Tyke's machine). 95% done....

Pick Holder

Site Supporter
The project started here:

Have decided that I will start a new thread up about this machine.

Here are some photos of todays work.

Basically I started populating the brand new main playfield. I have decided not to use the playfield protector on the brand new playfield. I personally do not like them.

The cabinet was completed by @tyke and he did a fantastic job of it. To be honest doing the cabinet is the part I do not like:
ww.JPG

IMG_0515.jpgIMG_0516.jpgIMG_0517.jpgIMG_0518.jpgIMG_0519.jpgIMG_0520.jpgIMG_0522.jpgIMG_0521.jpg

So the specification of the job will be:

New Radcal decals (done)
Powder coated cab metal work (done)
Pin2DMD (coming via @MadNat )
Pinsound board installed (done)
New topper
New coin door (done)
New proper backglass (looks amazing)
New speaker panel plastic
New ramps
Ramp protectors
New boulders
LEDs fitted
New main playfield
New mini playfield

Okay all, had about 4 days of solid work on this to re-assemble.

I do have to say I will never buy/trade a pinball machine in bits because it is so hard to put back together if you did not take it apart. I found a lot of resources of photos of other peoples work (thanks to @tyke and @CHRIS B PINBALLS - plus two other guys on pinside whom put a load of photos up). When all is said and done - it is hard to find where every nut and bolt goes, a lot of this build I have had to use common sense and experience. The previous week I did a pf swap on an Addams - it was so much easier as I did the strip down myself.

Since my last stroppy 'I am gonna sell this as I can not be @rsed to finish it' I have had to spend more money on a brand new boulder set as I did not have enough (and I was not going to put cracked boulders on it). So another additional wedge of cash has been spent.

Anyhow - it is 95% finsihed now. Still a few things to do and sort out..... Coin door needs some wiring work (GI needs wiring) and a few other small bits.

I do have the top dome for the topper but here is a quick video....

I had problems with the electornics. The major one that took me TWO DAYS to find was flipper problems - first off the board would not read the once flipper button (which I thought was a wire off a connector) but I found it to be a dodgy BA339. I replaced this - put it back in the machine and I connected the ribbon up wrong and this blew something on the logic side..... I then borrowed the fully working fliptronics board out of ToM (that I knew worked flawlessly). Now every flipper was WEAK. I first of all only had 25v at the flippers during game play (and 70v in stand by). I went thru swapping over the flipper opto boards from ToM across to WH20. No change. I then noticed according to the manual two of the coils were incorrect (not powerful enough) - I swapped those over. No change. I then checked the power driver board and found a load of bad header pins on the transformer connectors. Also changed the molex connectors on certain cables. Happy now, I reinstalled the board and the fault was identical. As I said after checking and double checking thru everything a bad molex connector was at J105 across to the power on the fliptronics board. Swapped that and the flippers were perfect in strength. The PDB did need some work. Noticed a couple of BRs had missing traces.

Next electronic problem was the +5v, Tyke had already installed new BR/CAP and regulator but adter 10 minutes I was getting the reset issue. The good thing about the new electronic versions of the LM323k is that you can change the 5V output. At stand by I was on 4.9v. I turned this up to 5.2v in stand by and this cured the issue. The problem was actually the PINSOUND board, when I removed this the rebooting stopped. It seems it does not like having anything under 5V going into it...... So if you ever have an issue with a pinsound board and your pin rebooting. Rebuild the 5v!

Pin2dmd was installed (thanks @MadNat ) - installed one in ToM as well. Again - take note - make sure your rectifier and cap on the top right hand side of your power driver board has been changed recently as a pin2dmd loads the 12v circuit. I power these displays on 12v and not 5v as WPC games do not have a very high current 5v outbput.

The pinsound 2.1 system is amazing. The sub and backbox speakers are also very high quality.

THIS IS GOING TO BE GOING UP FOR SALE VERY SOON - PM ME IF YOU ARE INTERESTED :)

Here is a few snap shots. I need to straighten out a couple of targets and I do know some other bits are missing

Anyhow - that is it now. :)

IMG_0820.jpgIMG_0822.jpgIMG_0824.jpgIMG_0827.jpgIMG_0828.jpgIMG_0829.jpgIMG_0830.jpgIMG_0832.jpgIMG_0833.jpgIMG_0834.jpgIMG_0837.jpgIMG_0838.jpgIMG_0840.jpgIMG_0841.jpgIMG_0842.jpgIMG_0843.jpgIMG_0844.jpgIMG_0845.jpgIMG_0846.jpgIMG_0847.jpgIMG_0848.jpg

Didn’t take you long to go through it, whenever I strip a game, clean and rebuild it takes me AGES. Just never get long enough free to do it.

@Pick Holder mate you have done an epic job finishing this off. It looks absolutely stunning! Whoever ends up with this in their collection is going to be very very happy 😃

Looks fantastic!!!
I bet that was 4 days you would like to forget in a hurry, good job though getting it done at the deep end👍
Will make someone very happy no doubt.
Might go and wax the playfield on mine now😂

Just waiting for a decal and a few clear plastics to come from Ministry of Pinball.
New flipper pcb fitted as well as some other new parts that was required.

Thanks to @philpalmer at Pinball heaven as usual for putting up with my 20 texts a day and getting parts to me quickly.

also..in the background is track 5 from my solo album started in 2005...... may finish it one day.

Back
Top Bottom