What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

White water vs the black lagoon.

I haven’t played either but would love to.
Especially WW, how do they compare to MB,AFM ?
You can play them both on any tablet with Williams Pinball.

They don't have the same layout as MM/AFM, which - broadly speaking - are a retheme of the same pin (as is Stranger Things).

CFTBL has a lot of ramps and is mostly about activating the two-ball multi-ball and then finding the monster, but getting there is relatively difficult compared to a lot of multiballs (that said, I can get the multi-ball 50% of games and I'm a terrible pinball player). It's got a lot of charm to the game and there are lots of mods, if you like making pins look pretty, but it doesn't have any impressive mechs - it is just about cool ramp shots. It does have a holographic creature, but - by today's standards - it's a bit rubbish.

WH20 is pretty linear and mostly about advancing the rafts in order, but it also has a great theme and shots. It has a Yeti mech that doesn't really do much. I'd say it's probably harder than CFTBL, but that's debatable.

I don't think either is *better*. I think it's personal preference - so, I would try to play one on site or, failing that, try them both on a computer.

Both absolute stone cold early 90s classics - both oozing charm and featuring wonderful world under glass playfield design with some of the best ramps in pinball ... Insanity Falls and Creechs Whirlpool ramp. Neither are mode based games but despite appearing to have fairly simple objectives there is more than meets the eye and both offer considerable challenge with lots of lovely little strategies to keep you thinking.

Hard to choose - I have both and historically have always leaned more to WH20. In fact back in the day I never really warmed to Creech that much. I've learned to appreciate it much more these days.
I'd let Creech go though (and I have a gorgeous one) before Bigfoot.

WH20 is pretty linear and mostly about advancing the rafts in order, but it also has a great theme and shots. It has a Yeti mech that doesn't really do much.

Reaching Wet Willies via the raft advancement is just one part of the game. Careful deployment of the boulder modes (5X the fun ! :D ) along with Multiball , and advancing the River Class is critical to attaining the elusive Vacation Jackpot and makes for extremely tense and satisfying play at times.
Also he's a Bigfoot / Sasquatch not a Yeti ;)- and he has a critical role diverting you into the Whirlpool keeping you out of his Cave ....unless you know how and get his head spinning wildly :D He also makes me smile every time he turns round with the dopey grin on his face

Especially WW, how do they compare to MB,AFM ?

Very different - Creech especially I could well imagine a lover of MB/AFM style fan layouts perhaps struggling to get on board with. It's very cluttered, can be a bit stop and go.
I personally find them long term both more interesting to play than the MB/AFM/MM layouts.

If you are ever near GrizZ HQ give me a shout and come and play them.

I prefer Creature
My husband loves Creature. It's a Top 20 for me and a Top 5 for him, so very much on our Wishlist.

WH2O is among a handful of pins where the theme makes a huge difference to my enjoyment of the game. I love being outside and am a serious hiker (less so with young kids). It reminds me of hiking in the US National Parks and would be the perfect on-site pin for a vacation lodge in a National Park somewhere, especially at a site with white-water rafting.

WH2O is among a handful of pins where the theme makes a huge difference to my enjoyment of the game. I love being outside and am a serious hiker (less so with young kids). It reminds me of hiking in the US National Parks and would be the perfect on-site pin for a vacation lodge in a National Park somewhere, especially at a site with white-water rafting.

Partly our love of it also - have been hiking/camping all over the beautiful Western US and Canada for decades. It's our happy place 😍 I could waffle on but don't want to derail the thread with tales of bear encounters and the like too much :D

Just shows though how much theme can play a part in pin appreciation.

Personally MUCH prefer Whitewater. Theme on CFTBL doesnt appeal to me (however i can understand those that like the whole drive-in/B movies), however Wild Willy and the rapids, alongside the Whirlpool, Boulder garden and Insanity falls... Just love it :)

Both are in my collection and like Ive says they are stone cold 90’s classics.
You can play both the games in so many different ways, my personal favourite on Creature is aiming to multiply the jackpot via the whirlpool and trying to hit 4x super jackpot. Managed it a few times.
With Whitewater I mostly go for the Vacation jackpot, best jackpot out there.
Both are fantastic games and will stay with me forever.

My husband loves Creature. It's a Top 20 for me and a Top 5 for him, so very much on our Wishlist.

I think this love for hiking may well be the solution to your invisiglass transportation conundrum 😉

Wh20. All day. Had a face melting game yesterday. Not a huge score but hit about 8 double jackpots. 13 insanity falls ramps and got me buzzing. Had it about 8 years and never had VJ. @Sgt GrizZ likes to rib me about it whenever he can. He also gets others to gang up on me and taunt me about it. They call me and hang up. I hear them whispering in the corridor. There was even graffiti in trap 3 at Clacket Lane services abusing me.
The struggle is real but it shall be mine…… OH YES IT SHALL BE MINE. Mwa hahahahahahaha!

Wh20. All day. Had a face melting game yesterday. Not a huge score but hit about 8 double jackpots. 13 insanity falls ramps and got me buzzing. Had it about 8 years and never had VJ. @Sgt GrizZ likes to rib me about it whenever he can. He also gets others to gang up on me and taunt me about it. They call me and hang up. I hear them whispering in the corridor. There was even graffiti in trap 3 at Clacket Lane services abusing me.
The struggle is real but it shall be mine…… OH YES IT SHALL BE MINE. Mwa hahahahahahaha!
Kinda worried about the effect Wh20 can have on people, reading this! 🤣

CFTBL has a set of shot during multiball that get me close to heart failure in a good way. When multiball starts, the gorgeous left ramp opens, you get the ball up there and into the swirl pool and spell creature, do that four times. If you are brave you use the other ball to find where creature is, then sink the snack bar to collect jackpot.
Now that 4x jackpot is enabled, you collect the pot created from the jet bumpers. Which can be +50m x4 doubled so 400m. But build up that pot and I once collected near 1bn with one shot.

It is not deep, it is intense.

Both have some of the best ramps of the 90’s

You know what you have to do to get Vacation Jackpot right ?? Don’t make me walk you through it again …:D

Have had both and creech didn’t survive a cull. I enjoyed whitewater so much I traded in the nice one I had against a super mint one. It’s never leaving and the belief that one day I’ll have that perfect game of hitting the multiball jackpot over and over while running 5x playfield keeps me coming back. As said earlier the vacation jackpot is fantastic and a huge sense of achievement the couple of times I managed it. It’s a ramptastic pin and I don’t think you get the full effect without playing it in person vs on a tablet.
Ps - A yeti does indeed reside in my upper playfield 😁

Will be interesting to see if WH20 ever gets the remake treatment by CGC and if they can match or beat the topper , which is one the best ones in pinball !

People get annoyed nowadays, when a new pin is lacking in toys and mechs. Yet here we have 2 fine examples from the 90s, both have relatively basic playfields, no gadgets of gimmicks. Both are highly regarded, and still loved to this day, they have fun and playability in abundance.
Just proves you don’t need collapsing towers and T. rex paddocks, to produce a seriously fun pin

Last edited:
People get annoyed nowadays, when a new pin is lacking in toys and mechs. Yet here we have 2 fine examples from the 90s, both have relatively basic playfields, no gadgets of gimmicks. Both are highly regarded, and still loved to this day, they have fun and playability in abundance.
Just proves you don’t need collapsing towers and T. rex paddocks, to produce a seriously fun pin
I know what you mean but not sure I’d describe WH20 as a *basic* playfield - it’s an absolute ramp fest , 7 is it ? , with several connecting with the upper playfield …upkicker , sinkholes, subway , left kickback, secret passage . It’s a marvel of design 😁

Back
Top Bottom