What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where do I start?

And if you buy from a member on here or get some advice on a specific purchase (especially if bidding on eBay) then like others said, you're unlikely to buy a turkey and lose money when you sell and move up. Even if you spent £500 on a player and sold it for £450 a year later it's cost you £1/week to learn to play pinball and save up another £500 to get that £1k DMD. You may even turn to the dark side and find you like the pre-DMD SS era :rolleyes:

That LW3 on eBay looked like a genuine buy - sold in 13 minutes on Buy it Now.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm definitely leaning towards DMD but I won't strike anything off. I'll keep an eye on the for sale section and the horror of ebay. If a Twister comes up I think I'll just push past my £500 limit and go for it. Otherwise I'll just be not very patiently waiting! Wishing I'd just gone for Chris b's x-files machine now!!!

X files isn't that bad..... probably not the best one to start your collection with though. (You possibly might also want to give Bugs Bunny, Space Jam and Wheel of Fortune a miss as well. Shall we just say that they are not exactly the best games, and this is coming from someone who was foolish enough to buy a Big Buck Hunter - which I still quite like)

Thanks. I've put a wanted ad up for twister but if something else comes along first I'll be asking you all for some advice!

To be honest I think it depends on a lot of things mostly how handy you are. I think a grand is not a lot for a machine this day and age. Yes people pick up bargains but I think they are few and far between.
I have seen Nedreud's bargain machines(s) and what he has done with them and others like him and I marvel at what they have done but I am not that kind of a person and the wonders they have achieved are a total non starter for me and probably many, I don't have the skill set to do that kind of work so I would rather pay the extra and have it somewhere near to what I wanted when I bought it, and it's not a case of well I bet he hasn't tried because I have. I bought a Getaway HS2 (great machine for around 1K) the cab is faded as are most so I thought I would paint it with glass paint, I looked at it, black background, how hard can it be?
I wished I had never started, what a total hash I made of it! yes it looks ok from a distance and it is the right colour and I may even finish it in 12 months but I am not cut out for it. I can tinker and clean but that is my limit.
I came in to this hobby a few years ago and I paid 2.5k for my first machine (TAF) I paid over the odds but now it doesn't matter because I had the cash at the time and now it's done and I would get it back if I sold it but I would loose my house before I sold that machine.
The very best way to get a machine today is talk to members on here, we all have them and we all move them on, we all know what they are worth so basically expect to pay it, you may get a bit of a mates rate but don't shaft them by shifting it on a few months later at a bigger price, you won't get a mates rate again. If you haven't got the cash and you know them ask for a deferred payment deal, I have many times there are more than one way to skin a cat!
If this makes no sense it's because I have had a few Vodkas!
Sorryo_O

You're probably right. But I'm definitely out of the running on 2k plus machines so I'll give it a go and try not to bodge any repairs!

@kckoopa if you would like any info on the Midlands league, feel free to drop me a message, I'm the coordinator for the region.

I started out with a Getaway: HS2 and I would definitely recommend that for a first machine - hardly anything went wrong with it, simple enough rules, exciting (supercharger, video mode) and cool theme music :) It also kept a lot of non-pinball friends entertained. Good luck on your hunt - are you going to 8bitflip event over easter weekend? That's a good opportunity to play a few different machines.

Thanks kate, that does look good I'll keep an eye out for one of those while I'm hunting for twister or JP.

Don't think I'll be able to get to 8bitflip though unfortunately :(

Back
Top Bottom