What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When does an original machine become a remake?

johnwhitfield

Site Supporter
Alias
John Whitfield
Didn't want to pee on the for sale thread for MM but where do you draw the line between an original machine and a remake?

Is it the playfield? For me the most important part. If you stick a new playfield in a machine then is it still original?
What about the DMD? Swap if for a colour DMD and again is it still original?
Boards? What happens if the board has acid damage and you replace it?
Playfield parts?

If you get Manny to make you a new cabinet then is that now stopping it from being an original?

What about if you do the lot and get a top end refurb job with new playfield, Manny cab, colour DMD and **** loads of replacement parts?

Think I've got too much time on my hands. Personally I'm happy about getting a MMr although the durability of the boards are an issue. I know it will never be as sort after as an original in the same condition but I'll be happy with it.

The is why NOS parts go for so much!

True, if you replace parts in machines then it is technically not original. Guess things like different boards etc matter the most. People understand that to keep things running like classic cars things that wear & tear have to be replaced.

Also worth distinguishing between replacing parts and upgrading parts.
E.g. I'd say a colorDMD is an upgrade, so it becomes an original machine with an upgraded DMD. Whereas replacing a playfield with a repro (like I've done on my AFM) makes it more of a remake. The cabinet is the same but it has new decals (not original artwork now), so again I'd say it's more remake.

Most of the cells in our bodies are replaced quit often, except nervous cells I think, so does that make us remakes with the same brain?

What actually was the point of the MM remake when you can actually buy all the parts to build one yourself for less?

What actually was the point of the MM remake when you can actually buy all the parts to build one yourself for less?
you can't though, there's a few bits that are too much trouble.

and @johnwhitfield that is not the typical cabinet found in the average pinhead's garage. i remember that thing. i remember thinking wtf that is impressive but god it's so ugly and horrible and how do they level it

you can't though, there's a few bits that are too much trouble.

and @johnwhitfield that is not the typical cabinet found in the average pinhead's garage. i remember that thing. i remember thinking wtf that is impressive but god it's so ugly and horrible and how do they level it

So much work must of gone into that but your right it's damn ugly

Back
Top Bottom