What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wheeler Dealers - The Inconvenient Truth

DRD

Registered
I love this show, have watched it for years. It has actually inspired me to keep my 21yr old volvo alive - something requiring scrap yard trips, ebay used parts purchases, imported parts.....

However, if you watch the show carefully, the team does rather bend the truth. Whether it is faults you can see on vehicles that are miraculously fixed with no reference made, or warning lights you spot on the dash.....

Here is a classic early example. They are after a Capri and spotted this one in the trade mags. Eagle eyed folk might spot that it is advertised at £395 within the £195 to £400 section of the paper. The car itself is up for £395.20210712_140712.jpg

During the filmed "negitiation" it is claimed that the car was advertised for £500. Mike the punchy negotiator who regularly "goes in hard" and "bids them" invariably screws a seller down. On this occasion he got it for £400 ! More than the asking price.

Negotiation clip ...

View attachment 20210712_141033.mp4
The first casualty of reality TV is the truth

There's a lot of that in "reality" TV shows. American pickers, is another good example, that whole thing is a set-up!

"Believe half of what you see and nothing of what you hear"

They came to my mates place to buy a car off him. The guy who helps in workshop (Paul I believe) was the main contact and he negotiated the deal.

I have previously been asked in the music world to take part in TV shows, and it is all staged.

Why would you think otherwise??

I think Edd China left because he had enough of his bits being glossed over. He was a proper mechanic and was being told how to present the work he was doing. I guess the producers always need to make things fit into the show format but obvious BS is off putting.

They did an episode on a jaguar Mk2 that I used to own. They never pointed out that the battery was in the boot and the heater box was removed so no way of keeping warm or clearing the screen, amongst other things that I can’t remember now. Also my father had painted the whole car outside with aerosol cans 😆 when we owned it we were fixing it up to be a club Circuit racer as when I brought the car I was told by its previous owner it had done a few races and that was our intention for the car. No mention of any of these things were on the episode.

its only tv , the other show - cant rember the name did my mates dads car up like a 3 wheel buggy thing better than having a pile of scrap in the shed i guess , it was all for free

there is nothing real in reality shows; but plenty of show!

I think Edd China left because he had enough of his bits being glossed over. He was a proper mechanic and was being told how to present the work he was doing. I guess the producers always need to make things fit into the show format but obvious BS is off putting.

Hi mate, hope all is well.

Edd is milking it in on YouTube now. From a financial and editorial control point of view he's far better off.

Back
Top Bottom