What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What to look for when viewing

the dual flippers and pressing them both at the same time for several games, 5 or 6 games then the machine etc has warmed up really shows big potential for issues. Also look for any type of bodged wiring under the playfield. Also check the earthing braid, if thats been fiddled with then i'd push the price down. Don't be rushed!

@Richy

I'm about to put my Who Dunnit up for sale this weekend if its any interest to you? I can even deliver it to ashbourne! lol

Dunc

The flipper alignment is out on that one. Who cares I hear you cry, it's a 2 min job. Indeed. So why hasn't he done it?
Because he probably hasn't got a clue what he's doing. So what else is neglected.
No close up of the sanctum. The most important thing potential shadow owners want to see.

The backbox looks tatty too.

None of these things are an issue but make sure you don't pay rolls Royce money for a fiesta:

I would be maxed out at £1200 on that.
But that's just me.
As has been said, look for credit dots and the bong bong bong on start up signifying errors.
Look at the board for battery leakage.
Check the flippers are strong enough to make shots. No biggie but a flipper rebuild is gonna be about £60 in parts if needed.

Make sure the diverters have the rings on them

Hope it goes well

Flipper rebuild isn't that much. You can buy an entire brand new flipper assembly with coil for half that. Which is what I do, saves time and effort.

All the advice given is great/good advice, but a little part of me is shouting go encourage people to buy pinballs!!!!!!
But I would never say pay over the odds, but shouldn't we encourage people to go and have a look?
But please remember folks, them blinking lights are designed to seduce you into parting with your money?
Great advice here but you gotta start somewhere?
I think it all boils down to the individual and of course the pinball mantra "money & space"

Last edited:
Indeed. There is no reward without risk. If it seems good and you can afford it just do it. Otherwise don't, someone else will.

Its the best advice and as a newbie gagging to get their first machine it is easy to and I probably would of been seduced and paid well over the odds for a possible box of bolts but on the flipside that particular pin and others will probably end up in a dealers hands with a 3500 price tag.....taking it out of the loop

Here is my advice!

Find a pinballer close to you who knows what they are looking for.

Offer them food/beer/a few £ and ask them to view with you!

There's too many things on a pinball that you need to look for.

Every game has faults and quirky little things.

You will end up putting money into a pinball in some shape or forum but you have to make sure you buy at the proper price so you can sell on without loss.

Good advice for buying on the group - you are less likely to buy a lemon.

I've seen so many people who have bought machines from dealers who get stung as well.

I'm only down the road @Richy . More than welcome to come have a blast on mine to get a feel of things.

Also happy to go view with u

Dunc
Ta mate......will definitely arrange something..........trying out for Tommy but not sure if it's gone.....tablet playing up, not sure about the servo thingy though.......is that serious ?!?!

Can you bring up the number of plays its had or can that be fiddled with anyway

Solid-state electronic games have varying amounts of bookkeeping audits retained in their Ram, but it's not a good guide as to usage; as you suspect, the totals can be cleared intentionally, e.g. for a new location (hopefully after overhaul) or by default when the back-up power fails or different software is installed. The best thing in this area is the 'Time Stamps' provided on later games/systems such as Wpc, which can show when the totals were last cleared, but even that isn't definitive.

The flipper alignment is out on that one. Who cares I hear you cry, it's a 2 min job. Indeed. So why hasn't he done it?

The Williams modular flipper is indeed easy to adjust re. the flipper paddles' rest position; loosen the nut/bolt closing the clamp around the flipper shaft, move it slightly, check and re-tighten. But TMR the alignment is to some extent a matter of personal preference - my method, extending an imaginary line through the screws holding the 'flipper frame' (the run-on guide), and setting the centre line of the paddle on that, results in a slightly lower attitude than others seem to favour.

Back
Top Bottom