What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the best way to remove "blistered" Mylar?

AndyB53

Banned
Registered
What is the best way to remove blistered and broken mylar? I suspect careful use of a Heat Gun and patience on a stripped playfield is the answer.
Anyone with a better solution? (and dont say 80 grit sandpaper)

Hairdryer/heat gun followed up with the flour method for removing the glue is the best way I've found. I did this on a Fireball 2 and went nice and easy and it came up lovely. If it's on a diamond plate playfield then you an afford to be a bit more aggressive if needed :thumbs: There's some pics and info in my old Fireball 2 shop log thread:

https://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/fireball-2.27480/page-2

Hairdryer/heat gun followed up with the flour method for removing the glue is the best way I've found. I did this on a Fireball 2 and went nice and easy and it came up lovely. If it's on a diamond plate playfield then you an afford to be a bit more aggressive if needed :thumbs: There's some pics and info in my old Fireball 2 shop log thread:

https://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/fireball-2.27480/page-2
Thank you! I wonder if WD40 will help soften the glue as I know it does not damage the paint/ artwork?

Thank you! I wonder if WD40 will help soften the glue as I know it does not damage the paint/ artwork?

I'd steer clear of using WD40 on a playfield personally. Looking back at that thread I was using label remover along with the flour but these days I'd go with IPA instead :thumbs:

I'd steer clear of using WD40 on a playfield personally. Looking back at that thread I was using label remover along with the flour but these days I'd go with IPA instead :thumbs:

I wouldn’t a lot of clear coats and paint don’t like ipa. Stick goo gone and flour or ecostick adhesive cleaner

I've had good results using an air can (ie: freezing the glue) and removing, from a diamond plate playfield.

+1 for the Goo-gone + flour glue removal method.

+1 for the air can freeze spray method, I used that on my Fish Tales without damaging any inserts or paintwork.

This fella does a comparison between the heat gun / air can methods:

SPOILER ALERT air can wins

The freeze method is good for diamond plate/cleared playfields and where the mylar is still in one piece or large sections. On older playfields I prefer the heat method as it's more controllable and I feel I'm less likely to take paint or inserts up :thumbs: If the mylar had broken up into loads of little bits then I'd go heat method as well, just a bit easier to manage IMHO.

I did the freeze spray on my BK2K which is supposed to be a nightmare - came up okay.

Back
Top Bottom