What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WCS - loose flippers

zxspectrum16k

Site Supporter
Hoping someone can help? I am fixing up a World Cup Soccer.
The flippers work fine, but both feel a bit loose, and the right flipper tends not to be very powerful sometimes. The Coils and Stops look fine . Would replacing the spring make any difference do you think?. I don't really want to do a full replacement if not required.
(I am still mega newbie, I have searched the forum but not sure)
attached pics

thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2764.JPG
    IMG_2764.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2765.JPG
    IMG_2765.JPG
    190 KB · Views: 26
Just get a flipper rebuild, it'll replace what is probably causing your issue anyway.
It's either the plunger and link or the coil stop. You can buy them individually but a flipper rebuild includes them, plus EOS switch and a spring so you may aswell get the kit.

Is the flipper loose if you hold the bat and wiggle it where it goes through the playfield? If so the bushing might be broken or there's too much play.

Just get a flipper rebuild, it'll replace what is probably causing your issue anyway.
It's either the plunger and link or the coil stop. You can buy them individually but a flipper rebuild includes them, plus EOS switch and a spring so you may aswell get the kit.

Is the flipper loose if you hold the bat and wiggle it where it goes through the playfield? If so the bushing might be broken or there's too much play.
I checked the flipper, didn't seem loose. thanks for the info. Ordered a rebuild kit

Thanks for the recommendations, flipper rebuild done and a lot better now (first one I ever done 😀. )
Query, on some videos online I notice a quite large metal spring on the plunger part, but both my flippers don’t have it. Does anyone know if WCS94 should have them. The plunging motion feels smooth without.

I checked my Godzilla and that has no large springs on the plunger part. But the video deffo showed them , and I notice the other solenoid coils in the machine has springs on the plunger parts. The one that returns the ball after a goal

Thanks for the recommendations, flipper rebuild done and a lot better now (first one I ever done 😀. )
Query, on some videos online I notice a quite large metal spring on the plunger part, but both my flippers don’t have it. Does anyone know if WCS94 should have them. The plunging motion feels smooth without.

I checked my Godzilla and that has no large springs on the plunger part. But the video deffo showed them , and I notice the other solenoid coils in the machine has springs on the plunger parts. The one that returns the ball after a goal
You don't normally get the large springs on the plungers, the thinner long spring does the return action that those springs do on the other mechs on the playfield.

The large spring you're thinking of is part of the older WPC flipper mech. The later ones wpc89+ changed to an external extension spring rather than a conical compression spring.
If you got the correct rebuild kit (with external spring) you're all good 👌🏻

Much better system and many people upgrade the older mechs to the new ones by changing the spring

If you'd tolerate my two pennorth about this, as I see it the return spring was changed to make way for an alteration of the grey plastic flipper link; in line with policy of only altering one thing at a time, the spring was changed first, on the final 'pre-Fliptronic' game, Hurricane. The old-type pointed link remained in use, though, while Addams and Getaway saw the introduction of Fliptronic and Fliptronic II. Then came optic flipper buttons, before the new pattern link appeared later on - it was in by the time White Water was built, since the upper flipper reverted to the older type link and spring (there wasn't clearance for the spring plate attached to the flipper linkage). Later on again, the coil bracket lost the four 'ears' pressed out to hold the larger end of the spring.

As to why a new pattern link, again in my view this was for the kind of op who'd only change a flipper link when it actually broke. The spring alteration was necessary because the new type link would chew up the conical spring.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom