What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vpin graphics card what one?

I used to build pcs myself years ago but the last time i was into them farcry and Half life 2 was out.. It used to be easy picking a graphics card usually an upgrade was going from 128mb to 256
Ati always bright colourful graphics nvidia more dark but realistic.. cpus P4 semprons amd64s it was all simple to understand.
Didnt even have the hdmi at the time.
Im watching videos online where they say 3050 is a waste of money and better of with 16xx and looking at sites like overclockers where a 3050 is cheaper than a 1660 super im so confused :s
As phil says i have no plans at moment to remove the HD screen im happy with it
I think the card in it at the moment is like a 2gb lol the graphics dont bother me i just dont want slowdown/lag and i want to play real pins as they are without the pup packs
Cheers

My next build is gonna be a mini 32 one using my old 2080Ti
I’ve already bought the monitor which is the ASUS QHD 31.5 (2560 x 1440). This is a halfway house from 1080 - 4k.
Best part with the screen being smaller than the norm it looks super sharp without any of the jaggies on the ramps etc that can be seen on the larger 42in ones.
It’s not gonna feel like a real pin due to size but more like an arcade one up, but in all honesty I don’t have room for another full size Pin anyway so a good compromise.
I’ve tested how it runs pre cabinet build and it looks and plays flawlessly albeit without pup packs.
It will be a slow build over the year but I’ll log it for anyone interested.

I used to build pcs myself years ago but the last time i was into them farcry and Half life 2 was out..

Wasnt that 2004. :D

I remember spending ages downloading a dodgy copy of HL2 when it was released that would take ages to load between levels, until I remembered that the graphics card I'd bought about 9 months earlier came with a code for HL2 even though it hadnt been released yet so was stuck in a drawer.

Wasnt that 2004. :D

I remember spending ages downloading a dodgy copy of HL2 when it was released that would take ages to load between levels, until I remembered that the graphics card I'd bought about 9 months earlier came with a code for HL2 even though it hadnt been released yet so was stuck in a drawer.
Yeah was around then 🤣 used to love HL2 was in a clan The sanctuary Uk i think my steam account name still has the (S-UK) next to it.. Great times

And Highland - a virtual pin takes HOURS OF TWEAKING. In an hour I can get one working - but the final details etc needs some work.... No matter what level you build - they are far from plug and play. Every build is different.
I'm fully aware they need tweaking. I've made vpins before, hell i helped build some of the earlier tables that went on them in the late 2000's.

What I'm saying is he doesn't want to spend hours messing about tweaking stuff to get one table running only for the next he tries to be a stuttery mess and start tweaking again?

A mate of mine couldn't even load the new VPW big bang bar with his 1050. no amount of tweaking would, will or can fix it

A 1050 is garbage in 2024

I see little point making an entry level vpin with a 2070/3070 card in it when the screens only run 1080 60fps
I never said a 3070? I said a 2060 super, 2070 if budget wasn't an issue.

A 1070 would be better than a 1050, which from the sound of things andyb will have one spare soon? :)

if I only have a 60hz 4K TV in my build then best I’m going to get is 60fps right?
That is correct, The best your screen will display is 60fps, still better to have the capacity to produce more frames than needed and lock it to the screens framerate using vsync or on higher end monitors using gsync or freesync. it's when your pc can't produce the 60fps needed that the problems start.

The VPW ones, which look gorgeous, seem to be more susceptible to this
Probably your 1070 causing this especially at 4K. Also Some of the VPW tables recommend updating to the x64 version of vpx, I'm not sure which you are using? But having said that some in the comments say they had no problems with x86 version

I shall report back accordingly with a layman’s perspective.
👍

Cant be ****d to read some of the stuff already written. Seen few silly things...

64bit VPX 10.8 is way to go (all new tables require 10.8). If you are planning to run 4k 120Hz which is a game changer (both res and refresh) you need minimum RTX 4060.
EOT.

Sorry to hijack your thread a little Steven but I’m sure you won’t mind and in any case it continues the discussion on the graphics card topic.

I understand all the comments about FPS being critical to the VP experience but if I only have a 60hz 4K TV in my build then best I’m going to get is 60fps right?

There are a couple/few of the better looking tables on mine that have a tiny, tiny bit of stutter. The VPW ones, which look gorgeous, seem to be more susceptible to this. When I say stuttering I don’t mean lagging, I mean sometimes it appears a little flick book animationly (now there’s a new phrase I coined 😊). Nothing that affects the actual gameplay in terms of when I press the flipper buttons the flippers respond instantly - just looks a bit “off”.

I’m guessing what’s been said here with all the comments and that observation I just made about my own machine is maybe the lower end graphics cards are not always capable of pushing out at 60fps?

On the back of all this talk I ordered a 3060 card from Amazon yesterday which I will test today but I remember there was some kind of function key you could press in game that would bring up stats, including fps, on screen during a game so I’m gonna try and bring that up and see what I’m getting fps wise from my 1070 on one of the better tables like The Flintstones also.

I shall report back accordingly with a layman’s perspective.
Swapped out the 1070 for the 3060.

Switched PC on and sounded like a jet engine was booting up but with no picture. Realised I hadn't plugged in the power for the card - doh!

PinballX table browse screen seemed sharper or at least the colours were richer (couldn't be sharper could it since as the resolution would be the same regardless of card?).

I used F11 to view the FPS on The Flintstones table when I was playing it when I had the 1070 in and was getting an average of 60 fps. With the 3060 in I'm getting an average of 75 fps. The Flintstones was the one that looked a bit "off" the most. Whilst that one still does not look 100% real life in terms of the way the ball moves around it's still pretty darn close. With the old card in also the balls had a few white pixels on them, not so now. After I'd done it I realised that The Flintstones was probably not the best table to do the fps comparison on since as it's that good looking and realistic it's going to be a push for any graphics card but the extra 25% increase in the fps is noticeable and worth the investment in the newer card.

Other less demanding tables I've been hitting 120fps plus on and they are noticeably better in terms of appearance and smooth ball movement.

What is even better is it handles PupPacks. I've played Elvis, Avatar and LOTR with PupPacks now and only LOTR has a bit of stop motion like video on the back-glass the other two run fine. However, I have to say, I don't think the PupPacks I've tested so far are all that really, particularly when it's hard enough for me to play a decent game just looking at the playfield without looking up to see some fancy videos! In my opinion they don't add that much to the games - but maybe that's because the ones I've tried are just not that fancy or interesting. Anyone got a recommendation for a PupPack to try which really adds something to the game?

Anyways, happy with the improvements I've seen upgrading from 1070 to 3060 so thanks everyone for giving Steven the advice which I have benefited from also.

Oh, and if anyone wants a cheap 1070 graphics card PM me :)

Cheers

Andy

Swapped out the 1070 for the 3060.

Switched PC on and sounded like a jet engine was booting up but with no picture. Realised I hadn't plugged in the power for the card - doh!

PinballX table browse screen seemed sharper or at least the colours were richer (couldn't be sharper could it since as the resolution would be the same regardless of card?).

I used F11 to view the FPS on The Flintstones table when I was playing it when I had the 1070 in and was getting an average of 60 fps. With the 3060 in I'm getting an average of 75 fps. The Flintstones was the one that looked a bit "off" the most. Whilst that one still does not look 100% real life in terms of the way the ball moves around it's still pretty darn close. With the old card in also the balls had a few white pixels on them, not so now. After I'd done it I realised that The Flintstones was probably not the best table to do the fps comparison on since as it's that good looking and realistic it's going to be a push for any graphics card but the extra 25% increase in the fps is noticeable and worth the investment in the newer card.

Other less demanding tables I've been hitting 120fps plus on and they are noticeably better in terms of appearance and smooth ball movement.

What is even better is it handles PupPacks. I've played Elvis, Avatar and LOTR with PupPacks now and only LOTR has a bit of stop motion like video on the back-glass the other two run fine. However, I have to say, I don't think the PupPacks I've tested so far are all that really, particularly when it's hard enough for me to play a decent game just looking at the playfield without looking up to see some fancy videos! In my opinion they don't add that much to the games - but maybe that's because the ones I've tried are just not that fancy or interesting. Anyone got a recommendation for a PupPack to try which really adds something to the game?

Anyways, happy with the improvements I've seen upgrading from 1070 to 3060 so thanks everyone for giving Steven the advice which I have benefited from also.

Oh, and if anyone wants a cheap 1070 graphics card PM me :)

Cheers

Andy

Try the TNA PUP Pack, and Batman 66.

Dont see much point in PUP packs for DMD pins that didnt originally have video on them, I would only ever want to use them to get the original video playback on a Vpin.

Hope I'm ok asking my own questions here.

I'm looking at building a PC for vpin with a 43" 4K 144hz monitor and a 4060 is around half the price of a 4070 super. The 4070 super seems to be the most efficient card around at the moment but it's around 2x the price of the 4060 with only 50% of a performance gain.

I don't want to spend money that I don't have to, but at the same time I don't want to regret not buying the right card. Would I regret a 4060, or should I go higher?

50% is a hell of a upgrade don’t buy twice just spend that little extra.
I almost bought a 4070Ti super but held in till I went to Texas P.F. and luckily got a 4080 super for about the same cost as they lot cheaper stateside.
The difference of a 4070Ti super and the 4080 Supwr was only about 5-10%

If you after 4k in 60FPS you want as much grunt as you can get.
Lock it at 60hz and you good ta go and believe me some of the tables can get really intense and there’s nothing worse than ball stutter or lag with flippers due to this very problem.

I have a 48in LG oled GSync gaming monitor that locks at 120hz (120 fps) and even my 4080 super can’t keep up on ultra settings!

It also depends on your cpu, eg. no point putting a 4090 in something with a rubbish cpu as it will just cause bottlenecking and slow everything down as your cpu can't handle the amount of data the gpu wants to send out.

A couple more options would be secondhand 3080, 3080ti or 3070 ti. Prices should be somwhere between the 4060 and 4070s

In terms of performance it would be
4060ti
3070ti
3080 ti
4070super
4070 ti

You may need to turn some eye candy down in the options on some tables at 4k to stop any lag

Again..... i'm with @Colywobbles on this..... buy once cry once.

Haven't had time to read through all the posts BUT vpx is very cpu dependant. It also runs on 1 core (for now) so a 4 core cpu with a high speed will run better than an 8 core cpu with lower speeds

Back
Top Bottom