What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Virtual pinball is not real pinball

3 people have now used my pin sim, who have never used vr before, and none of them have got disorientated, I think it’s because you stand with hands on the unit, it kind of grounds you.
pity aracadeland didn’t make these 18 months ago, then I wouldn’t have had to use retroplay, and go through all the grief and hassle

There was a decent Tron graphics wise a little while back. At the time there was a Tron on site about a 50 metre walk so I was on that most nights.

For me to remember doing it I must've have spent over a day tweaking that versions physics to get it playing like the machine a bit more.

VPX horsehoe bends pick up too much speed, no staged flippers, rubber depending on height and friction settings do weird stuff like adding ridiculous spin, so there can be a lot of little hacks you need to do to tame it.

If you have a bank of targets center or a "yellow" rubber post set high friction then it will jump.

I made a Horse Racing ball roller in VPX that had the large rubber balls that used to bounce when roll over holes.
there are tables with staged flippers, gotg 2.0 and iron maiden LOTB being the main 2 i can think of but their staged code can be added to any table relativly easily. Most tables that use the new Nfozzy physics are very close (but no perfect) to real physics, it will never be exactly the same but i love my virtual cab because where else can i play 100's of tables for free and learn rules etc so in that sense its great.

there are tables with staged flippers, gotg 2.0 and iron maiden LOTB being the main 2 i can think of but their staged code can be added to any table relativly easily. Most tables that use the new Nfozzy physics are very close (but no perfect) to real physics, it will never be exactly the same but i love my virtual cab because where else can i play 100's of tables for free and learn rules etc so in that sense its great.

I have developed on VP for over 10 years so most of it's not new to me. I've been there all the way through all physics changes and one of the best was BMPR, long time ago and was too tricky to setup. Then you had some random guy come in and add PhysMod which was awesome and that's what VP is today. The main devs got into a spat and he left which was a shame. I don't have a cab so I don't hang around those places anymore to follow up on the latest, it's a leech fest really and only good if you have one.

You probably have come across some of mine where I made 6-7 games in few months after I built a framework (PinGod) to make games on and that's what I'll be using with a PROC.

The good thing about the leeches though is free testing, but I don't really need testers anymore just for a simulator and they were never any good anyway, they just want the games.

I have developed on VP for over 10 years so most of it's not new to me. I've been there all the way through all physics changes and one of the best was BMPR, long time ago and was too tricky to setup. Then you had some random guy come in and add PhysMod which was awesome and that's what VP is today. The main devs got into a spat and he left which was a shame. I don't have a cab so I don't hang around those places anymore to follow up on the latest, it's a leech fest really and only good if you have one.

You probably have come across some of mine where I made 6-7 games in few months after I built a framework (PinGod) to make games on and that's what I'll be using with a PROC.

The good thing about the leeches though is free testing, but I don't really need testers anymore just for a simulator and they were never any good anyway, they just want the games.
you arent slamt1lt ULTIMATE Pro Pinball on youtube by any chance are you? or

Haha, no I am not, that's Russel that worked for heighways.

I think the Knight Rider game I put on VPForums should be the only VP version of that game, as that was ported over from FP and written with the PinGod.

Try the version of MOTU as well. That is a Tron rewrite with he-man stuff.

EDIT: That MOTU game needs staged flippers, I used to love doing that on real Tron, satisfying.

You need to come and have a go on Pro Fish Tales or Whitewater, they are rock harder than the real thing lol...I wouldn't have it any other way though because that's keeps me coming back and would much rather work to keep the ball in control.

1682638673602.png

1682638684666.png

You need to come and have a go on Pro Fish Tales or Whitewater, they are rock harder than the real thing lol...I wouldn't have it any other way though because that's keeps me coming back and would much rather work to keep the ball in control.
i do play fx and fx3 a little but just dont like it compared to vpx. The discord i follow has 2 nightly fx3 and fx tourneys a week but thats about the only time i play them, litrally just finished a fish tales one as this post came through lol

Pro physics in FX are better than any VPX, you probably find them easier, more enjoyable. People loved playing 10 hours on AFM on The Pinball Arcade even though it was like playing underwater. I didn't buy FX3 because it wasn't good enough and that was 4 years ago now.

That isn't exaggerating, people used to upload their 10 hour games, same for VPX, too easy.

I made a high score API for VPX and FP earlier in the year or last year. That gets the score from rom, multiplayer and uploads to server. The only thing is was never really completed for cabinet views because you can't rotate a text box in that view.

Last edited:
Pro physics in FX are better than any VPX, you probably find them easier, more enjoyable. People loved playing 10 hours on AFM on The Pinball Arcade even though it was like playing underwater. I didn't buy FX3 because it wasn't good enough and that was 4 years ago now.

That isn't exaggerating, people used to upload their 10 hour games, same for VPX, too easy.

I made a high score API for VPX and FP earlier in the year or last year. That gets the score from rom, multiplayer and uploads to server. The only thing is was never really completed for cabinet views because you can't rotate a text box in that view.

i know a lot of people who use this, if not this something very very simliar, great for easily checking high scores. they have one connected to the weekly discord competition bot so you can see what scores you are going for before starting

i know a lot of people who use this, if not this something very very simliar, great for easily checking high scores. they have one connected to the weekly discord competition bot so you can see what scores you are going for before starting

No that's Scorebit. Just sends score to Scorebit API manually in a table script so there's nothing stopping you cheating.

Mine works different if it's a rom because I send the NVRam up to the server and then get the scores from inside the memory there's only a couple of lines to add to a script but the rom must be mapped.

The overlay is inside VP so you can create players inside Visual Pinball and a menu just controlled by Flippers, start button. So if you were playing 1-4 players on your machine you can record that game and score.

I will come back to it at some point and put it live after add a few more roms but will use it similarly on the physical machine I'm building so saves me writing a web frontend for it all again.

Not scorebit. They use exactly what you describe. Checks the nvram and sends scores to their discord server bot. I'll try and find a link to it when I get home.

Sounds like that as scores won't update until you back out of the game

Yes it's ropey as well and not always guaranteed, can't multiplayer. With the one I've done you can just keep playing. If you have the same multi players or one player then it will keep your player selection and you can just keep going.

I had to make that application to help find the memory addresses because that can take a bit of time manually going through the bytes but I can also get all the adjustments and audits.

Just thinking, if you are ready from nvram on the fly does that mean you could potentially add scorebit to rom based tables?

I made a controller plugin for VP to ship the scores and do all the work behind scenes outside of the script, you could edit that and send to scorebit instead.

View attachment 201006

View attachment 201007

I'd just point out that the 1st position on Fish Tales there is by a cheater (and will hopefully be removed). Nos. 2 & 3 on White Water are known good players, and I don't know who the others are, or rather I didn't until I just came to the realization that you are HorsePin. Congrats on the great scores, even competing with yourself by having a score from Epic, and one from Steam next to each other.

I'd just point out that the 1st position on Fish Tales there is by a cheater (and will hopefully be removed). Nos. 2 & 3 on White Water are known good players, and I don't know who the others are, or rather I didn't until I just came to the realization that you are HorsePin. Congrats on the great scores, even competing with yourself by having a score from Epic, and one from Steam next to each other.

Oh I see I've no idea if people cheating, the FT top does look a bit difficult to get but still, it's probably doable with a very good run and lot of luck, you need a bit of luck in multi-ball there to ship jackpots.

I bought it a few weeks back on Epic, then had the tables transferred over so HorsePin are duplicates. Can't believe that evil dead game was there on EPIC for a year as well, didn't even hear about it, same as PinballFX going to UnrealEngine, that was ported a year ago but I think they get more money through EPIC than Steam. Both of those won't carry over any player details. For CrossPlay they should have the same account then it doesn't matter whether you're on an Xbox, PS or PC but they're all separate.

Funny this thread should pop back up,
was just watching a new indiana jones VP table on youtube. It was touting a new physics engine but whilst the graphics have come a way since i built a VP cab back in 2009 i think (disassembled now a couple of yeas back), the physics still looked like they were on rails and it was paining to see the table being played without any nudge and the constant needless drains. Having no analog nudge or bump is like having half a game.

Without sounding like a snob, i just cant go back to playing Virtual pinbal in a meaningful way any more and the above "cutting edge" table video just hit it home again.

Funny this thread should pop back up,
was just watching a new indiana jones VP table on youtube. It was touting a new physics engine but whilst the graphics have come a way since i built a VP cab back in 2009 i think (disassembled now a couple of yeas back), the physics still looked like they were on rails and it was paining to see the table being played without any nudge and the constant needless drains. Having no analog nudge or bump is like having half a game.

Without sounding like a snob, i just cant go back to playing Virtual pinbal in a meaningful way any more and the above "cutting edge" table video just hit it home again.
thats future pinball, while its getting better with physics thanks to FizX its still no match for vpx with nfozzy, Future pinball sits in a place between Pinball fx and VPX with nfozzy. i have a tilt bob and anologue nudge so i can still tilt out and move the ball around as needed. still the best part about vpin is the abilty to play almost everything in the last 30 years for free. It got me loving tables i would walk past in the arcade if i had to play and realizing i love them

Cabinet support for pinball FX is gradually improving - the latest update added support for realDMD.
yeah its coming along well however in cab mode the flipper lag is still pretty bad comared to fx3 which had flipper lag but it wasnt too bad. i follow the vpin scene very close as its the only way to play pinball ive had for the last 2 years until last week when i got a physical machine. in those 2 years its came along insane amounts. VPE will destroy vpx though (its made by the same guy who does the color dmd stuff in the vid above)

A virtual pin is like drinking alcohol free beer. Vaguely resembles what everyone else is drinking, but doesn't give you that buzz.

Would agree it's nowhere near as good as the real thing but it does serve to scratch the itch if you don't have space or money to buy a lot of pins, or the time to maintain them all. Also gives a good opportunity to learn the rules and features of unobtanium games, or those you want to try out first before buying.

So they have their place, unlike playing football games on a PlayStation. I mean seriously, what are you even doing with your life at this point.

Back
Top Bottom