What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Virtual Pinball - Build or Buy Complete?

Bepster

Registered
I’m looking at getting a 4K virtual pinball with a 43” main screen and am unsure whether to build one myself or buy one complete.

Personally I am fine with electronics and have been building PC’s for the last 20 years so no fear there.

However carpentry is not something I’m comfortable with doing anything other than the basics.

I’ve been looking for options and haven’t been able to find anything in the U.K. that isn’t being sold at a crazy premium or is not quite what I’m looking for.

My ideal option is something like:
https://www.dave-techguy.com/product-page/4k-virtual-pinball-machine

But with a 15.6” DMD which they do supply now on their latest YouTube videos of tables.

Obviously only issues are they are based in Australia, more than I want to pay and shipping would be prohibitive.

I’ve found a cabinet kit that looks fine here:
https://gameroomsolutions.com/shop/43-vitural-pinball-cabinet/

However I’ve been quoted $580 shipping on top that has put me off.

Does anyone have any pointers to a good cabinet kit in the U.K. or somewhere that can do a quality full system to a spec I would like without it costing an arm or a leg?

There are a few guys on here that may be able to help ,best virtual pin i have ever seen was built by Phil (Pick holder) fantastic job ,he is always busy but if he sees your post i would be guided by him as he is a genius with these builds
cheers
Keith

Have a look through @Andy B's thread where he's just done one using a donor cabinet
There are a few on here who have built them and can give you advice all the way through if you choose to DIY it - I've done 3 myself and am very happy to help out if you get stuck along the way.
One thing you shouldn't cheat with is the software side even if you do buy one - the cabinet side of it is a project with a beginning and and end however you do it, but the software side is constantly changing and you really want to have set that up yourself so you know how it works and how to move along with it as new stuff comes along.

Thanks for the pointer, I’ve just spent the last half an hour reading that build!

The software side sounds like the old days trying to get all the Mame games working with screens and controllers.

I’m used to playing around with all the different retro games software settings so hopefully it’s very similar, although not usually 3 separate screens!

Thanks for the pointer, I’ve just spent the last half an hour reading that build!

The software side sounds like the old days trying to get all the Mame games working with screens and controllers.

I’m used to playing around with all the different retro games software settings so hopefully it’s very similar, although not usually 3 separate screens!

The software side has been, without question the hardest part of my build and I could not have got by without the guys on here helping me out. I've done MAME before and I would say this is harder -but if you're a PC guy you shouldn't have too much trouble if you do decide to go build your own.

In addition to the excellent support on here I found this guide has been invaluable and explains everything in fine detail and in plain English:

http://mjrnet.org/pinscape/BuildGuideV2/BuildGuide.php?sid=toc

And the Pinscape controller the guy advocates has been spot on for me.

An empty Pin cabinet will be a good staring point.

Last edited:
The software side has been, without question the hardest part of my build and I could not have got by without the guys on here helping me out. I've done MAME before and I would say this is harder -but if you're a PC guy you shouldn't have too much trouble if you do decide to go build your own.

In addition to the excellent support on here I found this guide has been invaluable and explains everything in fine detail and in plain English:

http://mjrnet.org/pinscape/BuildGuideV2/BuildGuide.php?sid=toc

And the Pinscape controller the guy advocates has been spot on for me.
That looks ideal for me to read through and take step by step for the build.

So does a standard body table take a 43” screen or do you need a wide body for that?

I didn’t realise it was cost effective to buy a real table and gut it to use as for one of these.
Are they easy to come by?

Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks for sharing those threads, more for my to digest.

I bought a Panasonic TX-40GX820B 4K TV for mine. It is only 40" - anything bigger would not have fitted in the original Stern Grand Prix cab I used as the donor. It fits real nice side to side with enough mm space either side to get some pinblades/mirror blades in the cab.

My PC is a HP Prodesk 400 G3 SFF. i5 - 6500 @3.3 GHZ. 240gb HDD. 16GB DDR4.

Graphics card is MSI Geforce GTX 1650 OC 4GB.

It handles everything well enough for my liking. The graphics look excellent and, this the most important thing for me, there is absolutely no flipper lag whatsoever. When I press the flipper button the flippers flip straight away (imagine that!) so any ball drains I get are just because I'm a crudd pinball player and not the fault of the table.

I bought a Panasonic TX-40GX820B 4K TV for mine. It is only 40" - anything bigger would not have fitted in the original Stern Grand Prix cab I used as the donor. It fits real nice side to side with enough mm space either side to get some pinblades/mirror blades in the cab.

My PC is a HP Prodesk 400 G3 SFF. i5 - 6500 @3.3 GHZ. 240gb HDD. 16GB DDR4.

Graphics card is MSI Geforce GTX 1650 OC 4GB.

It handles everything well enough for my liking. The graphics look excellent and, this the most important thing for me, there is absolutely no flipper lag whatsoever. When I press the flipper button the flippers flip straight away (imagine that!) so any ball drains I get are just because I'm a crudd pinball player and not the fault of the table.
That sounds ideal, so I can drop my spec slightly if required.

I have an empty NGG cab

It is all in the video card the power needed - you dont need an amazing spec. Andy B's is bang on.
What size screen would fit in that cab?

I just usually go a bit higher on video card specs than required so they last a bit longer playing games over a few years.

Back
Top Bottom