What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Video tutorials for adding vpx tables

Doggard

Site Supporter
Alias
Steven Dale
Looking to add some tables to my v pin, but I’ve never done it before, and I’m pretty useless with anything to do with computers.
Does anyone have any links to vids, that show how to add tables to pinball x, preferably easy to understand, as I’m a moron
Thanks

Looking to add some tables to my v pin, but I’ve never done it before, and I’m pretty useless with anything to do with computers.
Does anyone have any links to vids, that show how to add tables to pinball x, preferably easy to understand, as I’m a moron
Thanks
Don't be hard on yourself, it's a bit tricky. Do you know if it's pinup popper in use as the selection menu?

It’s running pinball x ( front end)
That’s all I know
Haven’t delved into the folders and files yet

There are 2 steps:

The VPX bit

The VPX file in question
A matching DB2S backglass
The Rom

If you are changing an existing table for a new one you may only need the new table.

Copy the new VPX file into your tables directory (normally c:\program files x86\visual pinball\tables
Copy the new DB2S file into the same place

(both need to be unzipped/unrarred) and their names should match apart from the extension, so one should be .vpx and one should be .db2s

If you need a ROM then grab it from wherever you grab your roms from and put it in to the roms folder (normally c:\program files x86\visual pinball\vpinmame\roms), leaving it zipped (unless its a stern download, in which case you may need to extract and then recompress it under a different name)

That should allow you to run the table, try that before attempting the next bit as if it doesn't work here it won't work in the front end - so launch visual pinball (c:\program files x86\visual pinball\vpinballx.exe if I recall) do a file/open, pick your new table and select run - if it launches then you're all good.
If not figure this out before moving on, maybe you need a newer rom etc.

The PinballX bit

Adding it to the PinballX wheel is the next step, and I don't have the file layouts in front of me but as I recall it's in C:\PinballX by default, you will want to navigate to the database directory and then visualpinball where you will find a xml file (best to make a copy of this before editing it), open this and you will find a load of entries for your existing tables, look at the format and you should see they are a set of repeating entries starting with a < and ending with a > grab an existing one - beware of the very beginning and end of the file at it will have some slightly different syntax (the header and footer of the xml) so I'd grab the second table entry, copy it and then paste underneath.
Change the relevant info, the name must match the new VPX file you've added - Eg - The Flintstones (Williams 1994), but you can see the syntax from an existing entry, save the file and you should have the table on the next launch.
However, you won't have the wheel image (the logo) or a video/pic of the playfield in the front-end yet, you will need to find one of each and copy them into C:\PinballX\Media\WheelImages and PlayfieldImages (or videos) - they again need to match your VPX filename and need to be PNG or MP4.
You can create your own videos, but that might be a different post!

Back
Top Bottom