What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Valuation on Getaway pinball

Macro

Registered
Where I work, one of the managers family has a pinball that they are thinking of getting rid of as they no longer play it.

It apparently needs some rubbers replacing, and from the look of the pics has a DMD problem and needs new batteries!

what do you think this would be worth in current condition ?

upload_2016-2-25_23-45-46.jpeg
upload_2016-2-25_23-46-15.jpeg

my guess is anywhere £700-1100 depending on condition. those DMD lines may be nothing, but the factory settings restored can be ominous, as leaking batteries can destroy a board that may cost hundreds to replace. get behind that backglass asap and take the damn things out before they make it worse.

£750 feels about right. it hasn't been played for years so they will still be up on the deal. It could be great or a total shed.

You need to establish the condition of the MPU board. If it is acid damaged you could haggle the price down by at least £100.
The DMD issue I have seen a few times and was down to tarnished connectors or dodgy ribbon cable.

Remove backglass... Check for anything on the processor board that looks like this (look at the pins on the chips) :
www.techdose.com_repairlog_Whirlwind_Pinball_Repair__Battery_C20ca2b0e53f8ebaecb1949bbbbf2632e.jpg

or this:

peakpinball.com_wp_content_uploads_2013_09_pb_0316.jpg

If so, you are looking at between £100 and £200 to replace - so add that into the equation...

also check Playfield condition, especially Ramps - Raps are usually obtainable, however cost £££ - anything BROKEN will need to be replaced - anything badly cracked will need to be factored in.

If you HAVE to replace the DMD - New are around £200 - second hand about half that.

Remember though - No pin is perfect - they are years old, and unless brought from someone that spends £££ on them will all need some work. Rubbers are cheap - Around £15-£20 for a kit....Bulbs too...

remember above all - Pins are meant for playing, not looking at - unless you are specifically looking for a collectors quality one when you pay substantially more!

Given the number of potential issues and that it looks like its been in the garage for the last few years I'd only go as far as £600 on info so far.

You gotta assume worst-case that its a wreck internally and everything said above is going to need fixing.

One thing about Getaway is the ramps are all metal so you shouldn't need to replace them. The supercharger can be a problem though because of the amount of optos it has. Also the diverter at the top of the playfield can stick open or closed on these so check that. Go through the settings and check all solenoids.
I've even had to buy a ball guard from the states that was missing on mine. Might of never had this part on as it was a last minute add on when williams were sending them out. It's to stop the ball flying in the back of the cabinet when 2 balls enter the supercharger. 1 is sometimes catapulted over and into the cab. Have to take everything into consideration as parts from america aren't cheap with postage

Offer them £500 and see what they say :thumbs: They might snap your hand off or tell you to do one depending on what they value it at. Then at least you'll have somewhere to work up from....or a new Getaway :D

was my first Williams DMD game. had the shakes handing over £400 (but this was 1995!). been at my brothers for last 10 years and played every day. still is a great starter game. one sat for sale on forum for a week at £800. many system 11 games selling for more than that now

was my first Williams DMD game. had the shakes handing over £400 (but this was 1995!). been at my brothers for last 10 years and played every day. still is a great starter game. one sat for sale on forum for a week at £800. many system 11 games selling for more than that now
You paid £400 for a 3 year old pin?

going rate then. paid £250 for ST DE week before. to an operator these games had made their money by then and the boom was over. from the 70s to the late 90s £300 was the usual "cap" for second hand pins. if you liked a new game you just waited for them to drop to that price. So £400 was breaking the limit so to speak!

steve you still get the shakes handing over £50 today :rofl:
i would be looking at paying £500 for the getaway in that nick more if i new the cpu and display where ok around £350 for a cpu and display plus rubbers and other bits and bats

I certainly wont pay £50 fior 18 month old fruit machines! unfortunately I hand over 4 figures for pins now without blinking. just the way it is. holding out to breaking the 3k barrier though but a Star Trek may be on the horizon now Im resigned to not finding a Tron Pro

I have passed on your combined wisdom, asked for some better pics of the playfield and backbox (and told him to remove batteries if not already done so)

once I have that info it will probably be up for grabs ... I haven't got room for it without losing something else first - it's about 4" too wide

Back
Top Bottom