What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Up and coming Site work :)

Paul

Staff member
Alias
Toibs
It's always been an aim of mine to add a little more around "functionality" to the site, and to try to make things a little more informative. Currently this is a Forum only site - I would love to be able to add some news, reviews and the like around it. Yes, the forum is and should be the core focus, however to be a UK based central pinball site would be my main aim.

I'm a "Key worker", so alongside getting Roms etc done for you lovely people etc, it doesnt leave much available (let alone time to play machines and have a life!). In fact currently it's pretty much Business as usual however with added challenges around everything.

So - Just wanted to update you all on a couple of projects in the pipeline...

Classifieds.

FINALLY i have found something that will work. The original coder i was working with decided to stop supporting his products after a number of months, however i have invested a little and i have a proper decent classifieds system on it's way. Just waiting for the last of the bugs to be ironed out, and will be there.
Because of the changes, i WILL be producing a guide as to how to use. It's similar to Ebay functiuonality (NO auctions - that may be a possability in future years, but deffo NOT something i'm even contemplating at this time - If you want an auction then off to eBay you pop!), however no payments will be taken, and collection/delivery specifics will still need to be sorted out between buyer and seller... However it will add some uniformity around selling. Its allows posters to make it clear howe to mark the item as for sale/Sold/Closed etc etc, and is actually quite straight forward, rather than having to Edit the original post to change the tag... Just painful.

Sneak Peek...

sales1.PNGSales2.PNG
Questions and Discussions are completely separate. It allows the Seller to be clear about what is for sale, it allows the buyer to Make an offer (where appropriate) and ask questions etc, and also there is a Map to show whereabouts in the country it is located (Seller can put in Postcode/town/read etc as they feel comfortable with).
Also there is an integrated Feedback system :)

Blogs

So Lots of people like doing Machine Shop logs. Or showing people their progress on their Gameroom Build. Or illustrating something Step by Step. This is where Blogs would be very useful...
People can also comment on those Blogs... A pic speaks a thousand words....

Blog1.JPG

Blog2.jpg

1588420042884.png

This allows users to start on a Blog based around a specific Category/Topic, and Add to is as it progresses. Formatted in a similar way to a post, however comments dont interrupt on the reader following progress...
This one will take a little more time to complete, however still looking at getting this up and running in the next month or so :)

Once these two are completed and up and running i will be looking at the Overall view of the site, and how i can fully integrate everything fully with a decent structure, some news posts, and a good front end :)

Some of the above will come at a bit of a price - Im not sure how these will integrate with Tapatalk. Tapatalk, whilst being very useful for things on the go, adheres to nothing other than their own layouts etc. They dont take into account anything added on top of the basic things.
DID YOU KNOW THAT THIS SITE WORKS REALLY WELL ON A PHONE/PAD ???? TRY IT!
Some may not be able to use Tapatalk easily to post in the Classifieds section, or to post a blog (I havent tried either yet). Much like if you try to read an event thread - it just doesnt play ball, however works on all other platforms (Phone/Pad/Desktop).
So - Tapatalk remains currently since i know some of you use it out of convenience, however some functionality on tapatalk will be sacrificed in the name of progress, and there is a real chance that it may disappear in the coming 12 months (its also a bit of a security risk around supplying passwords etc to a 3rd party site).

Anyone any suggestions as to what they would LIKE to see??? Reviews? Full Article system?
I am limited to whats out there, and which suppliers provide it (I'm not about to pick something that will be obsolete in 12 months!), but happy to consider what you guys would like :)

Also - Templates (i.e. what the site LOOKS like). Is everyone happy with one light and one dark, two different versions of the same view?
Please - Let me know below your thoughts!! :)

Last edited:
Amazing work Paul!!

The classifieds/feedback section is a much needed and welcome change, and worth it for that alone. Can definitely see me using the blog functionality also.

Onwards and upwards. 🚀

Good stuff. The best bit for me was the news that Tapatalk may finally be killed. It's sooo annoying having that nag everytime you visit the site on a mobile device.

I like the dark theme, so having two themes to pick from seems good

Love the look of the classifieds section, looks as if it should put an end to all the issues we have had recently on the sales threads. I've never tried Tapatalk always just stuck with the standard browser on my phone, dark theme works well no issues at all to report 👌

please don't kill tapatalk and for the love off god please zap the RSS feed forums.

less is more and if it aint broke don't fix it - lots of forums try and be more than a forum few of them are successful.

Tapatalk, whilst it does have its uses, is a MAJOR secuirity risk, plus most things you cant use on it nowadays. It's Basic functionality. You'd be better off using RSS to read the site!
It's riddled with Ads and causes popups and the like.

To be fair most RSS feed forums/sites are dead now anyhow, so may well do that as part of the tidy up!

@Paul looking good all the new things. I did wonder why I saw my AC/DC Luci picture pop up on another page obviously when you were testing something. Feel free to use it as the test and then it may get sold to enable me to buy something else.

Dave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tapatalk, whilst it does have its uses, is a MAJOR secuirity risk, plus most things you cant use on it nowadays. It's Basic functionality. You'd be better off using RSS to read the site!
It's riddled with Ads and causes popups and the like.

To be fair most RSS feed forums/sites are dead now anyhow, so may well do that as part of the tidy up!
i never use Tapatalk, but very aware some use it religiously.

i never use Tapatalk, but very aware some use it religiously.

Thing is i get it's place, and it does that very welll, however with a decent mobile view available and also lots of functionality that wont be suppported (only because Tapatalk are based upon the core functionality only, and are completely inflexible in their offerings) then it's certainly dying a death....

What is tapatalk? What benefit does it bring over the native web browser on a phone?
I always access the forum on my phone using the web browser and it works great. You can push notifications if you want. What else is there that I am missing?

Ah yes, iPhones. I don't have one. And I don't feel like i am missing out either. My son has one and the logic of some of the actions is defying... logic. I find my Samsung much easier to operate. But i think i am also biased as i have never subscribed to the hype surrounding them. To me, they are more like an item of fashion than a practical item. And i need something practical.

Ah yes, iPhones. I don't have one. And I don't feel like i am missing out either. My son has one and the logic of some of the actions is defying... logic. I find my Samsung much easier to operate. But i think i am also biased as i have never subscribed to the hype surrounding them. To me, they are more like an item of fashion than a practical item. And i need something practical.
Work phone!

Mine is a work phone too and we had the choice between Apple or Samsung. I chose Samsung.

I thijnk the landscape will change with the new Iphone SE.... Basically most of the features of the Iphone 11, but at over half the price. A definate worry for Samsung....

Anyhow, this isnt about mobiles..!!

Some good stuff there :thumbs: I'm sure the site once had a user map, was useful for stalking my local community:-o I was surprised the chat room never took off on here too.

The RSS forums I mean those forums downloading stuff from websites that haven't bene updated since the Spanish flu.

Back
Top Bottom