What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unpacking your game after a show

DRD

Registered
Just read @Nedreud 's post on getting his vector home to a near disaster when the backbox fell down. It reminded me of my post nerg experience when my game fell off the trolley and was saved by gouging the bodywork of my campervan before a soft landing on the grass ...

Post a show:
  • You will be tired after two days of madness, constant droning noise, late nights, booze ups
  • Packing the machine up after the show adds to this existing fatigue
  • A three hour ride home does not help
  • Arriving home in the dark makes it all worse
  • Wanting to get unpacked quickly, so you can get to bed .....
This cocktail of factors has pinball unpacking disaster written all over it.

After a show i strongly recommend you leave the game in the car overnight. Deal with it in the morning, or another time when you have recovered and there is no time pressure.

My ST is still in the car, I was up at 5 for work so its here with me. The side/ rear access of my house is dark and rickety so no way I was negotiating that last night.

The advantage of having a show in the summer. It may be hot in the hall, but at least it's light for the drive home :)

Just read @Nedreud 's post on getting his vector home to a near disaster when the backbox fell down. It reminded me of my post nerg experience when my game fell off the trolley and was saved by gouging the bodywork of my campervan before a soft landing on the grass ...

Post a show:
  • You will be tired after two days of madness, constant droning noise, late nights, booze ups
  • Packing the machine up after the show adds to this existing fatigue
  • A three hour ride home does not help
  • Arriving home in the dark makes it all worse
  • Wanting to get unpacked quickly, so you can get to bed .....
This cocktail of factors has pinball unpacking disaster written all over it.

After a show i strongly recommend you leave the game in the car overnight. Deal with it in the morning, or another time when you have recovered and there is no time pressure.

The only times I have ever damaged a pin have been when transporting to / from shows. No problems at the shows themselves, just getting them in and out of vehicles...good advice to try and leave it to the following morning.

Top tips @DRD! There was no way I was going to get my pins back in the summerhouse last night. There are 2 gates into my garden. The one at the bottom has a 2-foot drop so that's a total non-starter. The side gate from the pathless road actually comes across my neighbours back garden, although I have a right of access (we're good friends, so no "social" problems) but there's no street lighting as I'm down a little country lane. My neighbour is also building a wall so pile of bricks everywhere and only just wide enough to wheel a pin through. Definitely a job that could only be achieved in daylight hours!

The photo I put up on the NLP thread was taken at around 6.15am so still just about dark. Luckily my neighbour let me back the back up to his garage and chuck it in there quickly so I could return the van.

The pallet wrap giving way was a surprise! I know it wasn't the heavy duty stuff but I must have put at least 8-10 wraps around it. I'll always use a strap and wrap next time!

I'm surprised the wrap failed if you had that many layers of it, I always just use wrap and have never doubted its strength.

Top tips @DRD! There was no way I was going to get my pins back in the summerhouse last night. There are 2 gates into my garden. The one at the bottom has a 2-foot drop so that's a total non-starter. The side gate from the pathless road actually comes across my neighbours back garden, although I have a right of access (we're good friends, so no "social" problems) but there's no street lighting as I'm down a little country lane. My neighbour is also building a wall so pile of bricks everywhere and only just wide enough to wheel a pin through. Definitely a job that could only be achieved in daylight hours!

The photo I put up on the NLP thread was taken at around 6.15am so still just about dark. Luckily my neighbour let me back the back up to his garage and chuck it in there quickly so I could return the van.

The pallet wrap giving way was a surprise! I know it wasn't the heavy duty stuff but I must have put at least 8-10 wraps around it. I'll always use a strap and wrap next time!
The thin wrap is always risky imo. Problem is that it's very easy for it to snag while you drag a machine out of a vehicle. Always go for the 20 micron tougher stuff if you can, and ideally a decent strap too.

Glad no damage done. Nice to see you up there and have a chat Peter @Nedreud I stupidly didn't get round to playing Goldball though.. Doh!

Sent from my shrinkwrap test facility using Tapatalk

Last edited:
the vector head is bloody heavy. substantially made, double backglass, excess weight on the hinge when you open the head etc etc. I absolutely loathe having to remove it to get the game into my house

Back
Top Bottom