What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UK League 2020 plan?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2463

Does anyone know what is going on with this years league? Saw the that events have been cancelled on the website but no other info?

Neil.

Sadly I think that a pinball competition is an extremely high risk activity from a corona perspective. Hot, cramped, indoors, poor ventilation, close proximity, guys pushing past one another, folk travelling from around the country, hands mauling flipper buttons.

We all know about the post event colds many folk suffer from.

When we emerge from this, who is immune ? who has had it ? Wristbands to prove it, like in the movie Contagion ?

I am not medically qualified but I struggle to see any pinball events happening in 2020.

I think it’s a bit early to tell from my POV on there being no events in 2020 when it’s only April, frankly if it’s as bad as you make out then pinball would probably be the last things folks are worried about I agree!

I just wondered if the 2020 year from a league POV was abandoned or if the normal running timeline would be extended beyond the usual August finals. Maybe too early to answer.

Cheers,
Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think we can use deodorant use as yardstick for other aspects of hygiene 😉

Sadly, I suspect the 19/20 season is now completed.

Roll on 2021.

The current situation regarding the 2020 UK Pinball League is that it is still on.

Obviously, there is no chance of the finals taking place in August at Pinfest, due to not having enough time to fit the meetings in.

The hope is that every region will be able to fit their meetings in at some point this year, with the finals also taking place this year at a venue yet to be agreed/arranged. There have been a number of places volunteer to host already.

The finals have previously been held in November and January the following year, so this is not a case of an unprecedented occurrence.

When restrictions are lifted I'll be speaking with all of the regional coordinators to get their views before coming up with a plan together and making it public.

The current situation regarding the 2020 UK Pinball League is that it is still on.

Obviously, there is no chance of the finals taking place in August at Pinfest, due to not having enough time to fit the meetings in.

The hope is that every region will be able to fit their meetings in at some point this year, with the finals also taking place this year at a venue yet to be agreed/arranged. There have been a number of places volunteer to host already.

The finals have previously been held in November and January the following year, so this is not a case of an unprecedented occurrence.

When restrictions are lifted I'll be speaking with all of the regional coordinators to get their views before coming up with a plan together and making it public.

Thanks for the informative update wayne. Even when this pandemic is over I’m sure we will be fine.

When has anyone caught COVID-19 or become ill from playing pinball?

Stay safe and well everyone, the media is very good at spreading fear amongst us.

Ben

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha ha good hygiene is also needed etc! Am not aware of anyone from our pinball community falling ill from COVID-19. Goes to show we look after ourselves. I’m sure pinball will rerun before too Long.

Ha ha good hygiene is also needed etc! Am not aware of anyone from our pinball community falling ill from COVID-19. Goes to show we look after ourselves. I’m sure pinball will rerun before too Long.

C19 does not discriminate - there have been people on here who have lost friends and family, I was lucky in that if I did have C19 when I had to self-isolate due to fever and cough it wasn't serious enough to warrant hospitalisation.

I can ensure everyone that the UK League will not even consider recommencing until it is safe to do so AND with the full cooperation of all of the other regional coordinators and more importantly the hosts, those people who willingly and freely open their homes to others to come and play their games.

I am seeing this from within a hospital which has had, and is continuing to have, so many deaths that we have a refrigerated unit outside as the morgue is full. The supply difficulties in not only certain items of PPE, but the actual consumable equipment that is used to treat the patients. There is no point in staff being protected if there is nothing to treat the patients with, we may as well just shut the hospitals completely and let anybody ignorant enough to ignore the warnings to die a prolonged death drowning in their own fluids (which tbh is my own preferred response) - it would be Darwinism in action.

Why should me, my team, my colleagues put ourselves at risk, get ill and even die (which has happened here in Walsall) when others think this is all overblown hype?

Anyway rant over. Carry on, nothing to see here.

C19 does not discriminate - there have been people on here who have lost friends and family, I was lucky in that if I did have C19 when I had to self-isolate due to fever and cough it wasn't serious enough to warrant hospitalisation.

I can ensure everyone that the UK League will not even consider recommencing until it is safe to do so AND with the full cooperation of all of the other regional coordinators and more importantly the hosts, those people who willingly and freely open their homes to others to come and play their games.

I am seeing this from within a hospital which has had, and is continuing to have, so many deaths that we have a refrigerated unit outside as the morgue is full. The supply difficulties in not only certain items of PPE, but the actual consumable equipment that is used to treat the patients. There is no point in staff being protected if there is nothing to treat the patients with, we may as well just shut the hospitals completely and let anybody ignorant enough to ignore the warnings to die a prolonged death drowning in their own fluids (which tbh is my own preferred response) - it would be Darwinism in action.

Why should me, my team, my colleagues put ourselves at risk, get ill and even die (which has happened here in Walsall) when others think this is all overblown hype?

Anyway rant over. Carry on, nothing to see here.

Thanks for sharing Wayne and I agree this is a serious issue.

We will have to let period pass, however difficult we all find it.

We can get through this by being there for each other and keeping in touch.

Stay safe land well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not sure I'll be hosting this year. It's not just the machines but having people travel from all over and touching multiple surfaces, I can't guarantee their safety or my own.
My personal opinion is that this year should be called as is. Those areas that have results should stand and those that havent, well, tough luck.

When has anyone caught COVID-19 or become ill from playing pinball?

Yes. Have you not had the dreaded 'PinFlu'? Got it many years ago at a big event and have taken hand sanitizer with me ever since. Every time you play a machine you are touching the buttons that pretty much everyone else has touched that day. It only takes one person to be ill and it will affect all. C19 has just made pinballing an extreme sport!

Not sure I'll be hosting this year. It's not just the machines but having people travel from all over and touching multiple surfaces, I can't guarantee their safety or my own.
My personal opinion is that this year should be called as is. Those areas that have results should stand and those that havent, well, tough luck.

Sven, have I ever told you how much sense you talk!!!

I AM THE CHAMPION!!!! :D :D :D :D

1Neil McRae1202020
2Matt Vince1191919
3Ed Rojas1181818
4Nick Hamill1171717
5Thomas Evrenos1161616
6David Fowler1151515
7David Tucker1141414
8Mike Parkins1131313
9Clive Bush1121212
10Graham Swaffield1111111

There's no way things will be back to normal by August. Unlikely even this year I think.

Even if a vaccine is developed, it's my understanding that the vaccine is only similar to the annual flu vaccine, in that some time down the road it becomes useless as the virus mutates, and people need the new vaccine

Pessimistic, but maybe we just have to adapt to a new normal where social events are much smaller, hygiene is critical and perhaps, just maybe, we have to accept we'll be under some sort of government tracking scheme, monitoring our social interactions and alerting people when the virus is detected

Welcome to the future. It sucks.

I don't think there will be any league meets this year. Too many variables and unknowns. It has seen a lot of deaths, mostly with the elderly / pre-existig conditions. And what most country / business leaders will be focusing on is the fiscal impact. Doing the numbers shows that this could happen again in a month, 6 months, 16 months etc, with a different strain. I think much thought will have to go into stopping the spread, new laws and regulations passed, as well as mandatory thermal imaging scans (petrol stations, GPs, Hospitals, Care homes, Airports, Train stations etc). And yes this will impact private gatherings as well i guess. But until all that and more is in place, there will be some form of lock down and protection of those at risk in force.

I don't think there will be any league meets this year. Too many variables and unknowns. It has seen a lot of deaths, mostly with the elderly / pre-existig conditions. And what most country / business leaders will be focusing on is the fiscal impact. Doing the numbers shows that this could happen again in a month, 6 months, 16 months etc, with a different strain. I think much thought will have to go into stopping the spread, new laws and regulations passed, as well as mandatory thermal imaging scans (petrol stations, GPs, Hospitals, Care homes, Airports, Train stations etc). And yes this will impact private gatherings as well i guess. But until all that and more is in place, there will be some form of lock down and protection of those at risk in force.

Hmm..... social distancing could work in a relatively large venue such as flip out or electric circus but numbers would need to be regulated.

There are ways running events whilst observing social distancing...

I’ll leave that to the organisers once it’s safe to do so and if the government allow gatherings to take place whilst observing social distancing.... its good to be prepared for anything.

I’m happy to share my ideas privately with those who would like my input.

Stay safe and well everyone.

There will be no more mass gatherings, you will take your mandatory vaccine and go about your business ;) #billsaves

There will be no more mass gatherings, you will take your mandatory vaccine and go about your business ;) #billsaves

We will get back on track once it’s safe to do so....

Just had a go on BM66, how is it possible that the ball stays stuck on top of a slingshot! It just happened (on right slingshot).
BM66stuckball.jpg

any news on this. I'm was down to host next month on the website but I see its been scored out but no news about what's going on?

Assuming the infection rate continues to trend downwards. I'd be happy to run a covid secure league meeting at the World Famous Domino Arcade on the original date.

Firstly each player would have a booked slot. Arrive at a scheduled time Play five games and go. Have 5 players at a time slot each allocated to a game and rotate them through the games. We wouldn't offer food or drinks (people could bring their own water flasks). Masks on for the duration. After every round games cleaned. No it isn't the social festivities that we all love but we could complete the round.

We could also (subject to wider founders agreement) do this at legendary flipout London pinball club and is something that I have on the agenda for our founders meeting about re-opening this week, although there is more work to do to make the club covid secure but I'm confident we will achieve this.

thanks,
Neil.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom