What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TZ questions

Kenny Taylor

Registered
My God not had my TZ that long. But it's a really quick machine. Haven't quite grasped what's all going on at times. Cannot believe the speed the ball travels. Is there any adjustment to slow it down. I also have a target that if I hit it hard, usually by mistake as I'm aiming for the ramps. It occasionally pops the ball into the air hitting the glass. Actually have done this a few times. Target does seem to be bent slightly upwards. How can I adjust this?
Also the transformer is a bit noisier than my other machines. Is this common. Do folk prefer to LED complete machine on a TZ. ie buy the full LED kits?

Suppose if I LED it will significantly reduce load on machine?

Last edited:
Raise the front leg adjusters, lower the back ones, or both - just make the playfield flatter. LEDs are a a matter of personal taste, personally I'm not a big fan, I find them very bright, but others love them. What's up with the transformer, is it buzzing or something?

Forgot to mention. When I replaced the batteries. It reset the pin to defaults. Have managed to change the language back to English, set date and to free play :)

Transformer is buzzing a bit. Settles down a little the longer you have it on or maybe you just get used to the noise. Will adjust the legs a fraction to flatten it out a bit. Don't want to lose too much speed..lol

Last edited:
Which target is it? If it is the fruit machine / one armed bandit one (can't remember the correct name) it's a common fault and there is a reinforce weldment available

Spot on, it's the 5 million target post to the left of the slot machine..
I put a piece of metal behind mine, screwed to the edge of the playfield where the wires come through, you can't see it. Put it in a couple of years ago and it's been fine since.

Re: the transformer hum, check to make sure it's bolted down securely. You can get hum if it's a bit loose so worth tightening things up if you can :thumbs:

yep, transformer hum can be improved by using those crinkle washers, so it's both tightly held down and at the same time has some built in movement. so if it wants to move by half a mm back and forward, that gets absorbed by the little washers instead of by the rest of the game acting like a hollow drum.

i think it's a similar idea to the built-in earthquake-proofing they put into new buildings now in quake zones, though probably the Hotel Grand Tokyo needs more than 4 crinkle washers

yep, transformer hum can be improved by using those crinkle washers

A toothed lock washer would be better surely :) EDIT: Well maybe not, just looked at my Moonflight and it's a crinkly little blighter under there

Well I've adjusted the legs. TBH the TZ needs some tlc. I'll look to get the LED kit, give it a clean and fix a few bit's and pieces and get it all done at the same time..

If the noise is a 50 cycle hum from the transformer it can be generated by the laminations resonating with the mains cycle. The resonate frequency of them can be moved away from 50 by slowly tightening, with the machine switched on, the four bolts that clamp them together. Listen to the hum as you do it, and stop when/if it becomes quieter which it usually does. I once watched a very noisy example been whacked on the side of the laminations with a big ball hammer. OUCH! ......Instant cure. This is NOT recommended.

Back
Top Bottom