What's new

Twilight Zone Rebooting mid game

DRD

Registered
Does anyone have any ideas why this might be happening please ?

Has been a reliable game for months but rebooted twice on me this morning mid game. I have not moved or worked on it for months

Thank you

you have a low 5V i expect - try measuring it at the 5V test point on the main driver board

try reseating the connectors first between all boards. if that doesn't do it then you mau need to replace the common components that ofteh drag the voltage down - a bridge rectifier and a capacitor - do a quick search on pinwiki and it will come up as this is the commonest problem in pinball along with battery leakage.

Reactions: DRD
Thank you for the advice. I feared this might be a multiple possible causes scenario

Easy to understand why the operators dumped pinballs when stuff like this happens

Had this tz for months, without this issue. At short notice, agreed to step in two days ago and host a league meet next weekend. Then this happens

Oh well.

But normally that's a waste of money. 95% of resets are cured by replacing J114. Costs £1 for a replacement IDC connector plus 5 mins time. You need an idc insertion tool or you can go crimp style.

Thanks Andy, I will give this a go. I have the insertion tool. Will be in touch about the other bits I am after from you too

D

Just backing up what Andy says, had a reset issue on my BSD (game would reset when both flippers were activated together). Andy replaced J114. Had no reset issues since.

Reactions: DRD
It was both flippers being pressed simultaneously that caused my problem too. I have had a chat with Andy am on with his fix

Thank you

The 5v voltage drop on my tz was 0.12 between the touch point and the MPU. Pin wiki says 0.1v is ok, Andy suggested 0.04 was right.

By removing the z connector and soldering the wires directly together (pinwiki suggestion) and cleaning pins, pushing the wires back in the connectors with the right tool, I have got down to a 0.07v drop

I have pressed the flippers like a demented fool, played a dozen games and could not trigger a reboot. If I get another reboot, I will go further with the repair but I try to avoid removing boards as the potential for unsettling something/ breaking a connection somewhere is always there

It made me wonder how my other games were. Addams as ever has been a fantastically reliable game over 15 years. Registering a 0.01 drop. Shadow 0.04

With their parent asleep upstairs, I had access to the perfect product testers.

Thrashing away relentlessly and crazily firing all the flippers at once like demented Somme machine gunners. Never tiring. Showing no remorse.

Looks like tz is fixed.

image.jpg

Personally i think neutral white or cool white LEDs look good behind both of these translates. You do lose a few dimming effects though.

Thanks for the suggestion. I had led in tz when I bought it. But I found them too powerful. They "spotted" behind the translite so it looked a bit wrong.

You see how the led spot on my shadow (alternative translite) they are also quite "spotted" as opposed to casting a wider pool of light. But it looks ok in my opinion on the shadow, as I suspect the designer did it with led in mind

I had the frosted in. It was the flashers causing the trouble. The led flashers were so bright.

Back
Top Bottom