What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Twilight Zone fuse issues

Doug

Site Supporter
Hi, all.

I've just acquired a non working TZ. I owned one some years back and stupidly sold it so have taken the plunge again;)

Looking over the machine, all seems ok with no obvious hacks to the boards, no bad batteries ( I'll replace these as a matter of course) and all the ribbon cables and various plug connectors are in correctly, etc. All coil wrappers are nice so no obvious signs of scorching. All in all, it seems ok, but I noticed that fuses F110 and F112 have blown. I have not attempted to plug in and switch on just in case I cause further damage or something.

Any ideas please as to why these might have blown. I don't want to just replace and switch on to get the same thing happening again!

Many thanks!

Don't know how you would cause any damage really. Anything that would've blown the fuses originally, and still would, will just do it again. If it were me I'd be inclined to put 2 new fuses in and power it on.. if one or both of them blow then you know what you need to address. You might find that neither do.

I agree with Durzel, just make sure you don't overfuse it and correct fast/timed type, be tempted to use tinfoil or if you're on pinside a .22 long round:rolleyes:

According to the tech sheet F110 is GI left of playfield, so if that's shorted it will quickly pop again.

F112 is secondary solenoid, if the fuse blows straight away see if you can see/hear anything happen like a solenoid lock on or you might be into an intermittent problem.

Good luck that's a lot of machine to handle:thumbs:

INCORRECT INFORMATION - READ AS TAF - MY MISTAKE

Last edited:
The only danger with replacing the fuses and hoping for the best is that if the fuses are slightly overspeced (or other components slightly underspeced) then you've got a chance at blowing transistors and more. Board repairs are harder than replacing fuses..

Safest approach then would be to look at schematics to determine what you can test. If you still have a short to ground on some of the connectors, then you've still got an issue. I don't have schematics to hand right now, but I'm sure someone can help?

Yea ignore me - I read TAF for some reason - must be going mental....

Re. the fuse for the secondary winding supplying solenoid power; when new, the specified 7A was prone to failure under full load (isn't there a mode where the flippers and magnets are in use simultaneously?). No less than the uk distributor, Deith Leisure, advised raising it to 10A SB for this game

Last edited:
Re. the fuse for the secondary winding supplying solenoid power; when new, the specified 7A was prone to failure under full load (isn't there a mode where the flippers and magnets are in use simultaneously?). No less than the uk distributor, Deith Leisure, advised raising it to 10A SB for this game
Yes, Powerball Mania when there is a ball on the mini-PF both magnets and flippers are active.

Yes, Powerball Mania when there is a ball on the mini-PF both magnets and flippers are active.
This just happened to me tonight on that mode, lost all flippers kick outs etc
Hope it’s just the fuse.
Rottendog powerboard so might even be a 5a from what I’ve read.
Will have look tomorrow

*update*
Did have a blown 5a fuse, replaced with another one and ok but will try a 7 then a 10 if needs be.

Last edited:
This just happened to me tonight on that mode, lost all flippers kick outs etc
Hope it’s just the fuse.
Rottendog powerboard so might even be a 5a from what I’ve read.
Will have look tomorrow

*update*
Did have a blown 5a fuse, replaced with another one and ok but will try a 7 then a 10 if needs be.
Hi Guys ive just experienced the exact same problem as above (POWERBALL Multiball with 3 balls entering the mini playfield) ..only the 7amp SB F112 has blown ...school boy error on my part no spare fuses so have ordered a selection of slow blows today
is there something that can be done to prevent this in the future im a little reluctant to pop a 10amp SB in there unless of course this is considered safe for TZ
thanks in advance
Stef

My 7amp fuse is still going, if it does go I will just pop another in as it’s no hassle and safer than a 10amp.
Nothing else you can do really but try a 10amp fuse.
Old fuses can just go though after years of being heated up.

Thanks for the super fast reply chap :)
will have to wait for fuses to arrive ..will go with replacing like for like and see how we get on ;-)
Cheers
Stef

@Jay Walker
Dieth. Remember those being called Death Leisure due to the engineers they had :)

I think since we downgraded UK ac power from 240 to 230 it has helped with this fuse issues. But make sure your game is not tapped at 220v.

@Jay Walker
Dieth. Remember those being called Death Leisure due to the engineers they had :)

I think since we downgraded UK ac power from 240 to 230 it has helped with this fuse issues. But make sure your game is not tapped at 220v.
I’m sure I used to go to Dieth Leisure in London back in the eighties for bits and pieces, totally forgot about them.
Death Leisure, yeah just put a bigger fuse in that will keep it going for a while😂

Back
Top Bottom