What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TWD Backbox speaker wiring

Vimtoman

Site Supporter
Looking in the manual and Flipper Fidelity description and both are different.

Manual has two 8ohm speakers in series with a cap.
Flipper Fidelity has two 8ohm in parallel.

Any advice on whats the best option in regards to wiring in parallel or series.

It's complicated, but in simple terms if you are not using a pinsound board, best to keep it in series. (Giving a 16 ohm load). for the sam board system this is easier to drive than wiring in parallel, as this results in a 4 ohm load. A lower impedance speaker requires greater current from the amplifier to provide the same voltage at the output. That is typical, simple ohms law. (For example 1v/8ohms = 0.125amps. 1v/2ohms= 0.5amps. ) But other factors are involved , for example the frequency range, and sensitivity of the flipper fidelity speakers. Not knowing these specifications, leads to a suggestion. Try it both ways and consider the following..
1). What is the difference in the sound quality and volume levels.
2). Check for distortion (clipping). At higher volumes, and the power I.c on the sound board getting too hot. (It will always run fairly hot). Experimenting for a short period of time at sensible volume levels will cause no damage.
If either of the things occurs in point two turn the machine off......
Remember the stern stock speakers are complete garbage. They have a narrow frequency range, high sensitivity and high impedance so that when wired in series they sound loud with minimum strain on the sam amp. Circuit........

Bet you could make up some kind of amp set up to run the speakers better, I would buy those plug and play ones from the states but just too expensive getting it shipped here etc.
Should make a big difference with half decent amp/amps.

Do you need pics? I can get for you tomorrow night if you would like, but I imagine, if you are doing this, you have the wiring already.

I'm ok with the wiring just tried pretty much every version going.
Parallel ,series,4ohm,8ohm combinations.
I guess I'm expecting it to sound miles better :) where it wont .

Yeah I guess you cant make them sound better just by changing the speakers.
I've settled with a pair of 4ohm kenwoods in series.
They are pretty clear with good midrange, mixed with the external bass sounds like the best setup.
Had a pair of visatrons which were a bit low in the range.

Anyway busy doing nothing :)

Will sound better than my LotR which is pretty😏
Doing nothing is good, I’m having fun with a foam gun sticking Celetex insulation panels in the dogs kennel. Polecats are handy for the ceiling😁

Back
Top Bottom