What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tron disc opto problem

Rus121

Site Supporter
Hi all. Well, my Tron decided to give me another problem today. It appears my disc opto has packed up.

Both disc opto's connect to a small pcb under the motor. On mine, there was a red light on the board. i disconnected the receiver opto and the red light went out, i reconnected it and no red light came on.

Please could a Tron pro owner tell me if this red light is on all the time in normal operation?

Oh dear. Found some info on rgp regarding this opto problem. Looks like its another quality control issue....

icon1-1.gif Tron and Tron LE Owners - See fix for disc optos not working properly.. Keep note!

I had this issue with the opto discs registering on their own. I could use my flippers and the opto's in the disc would register and score. Drove me nuts. In Zeus fast scoring it would continually score 10k. Taking the ramps would cause the optos to register. LLoyd was the man for the fix. His suggestion was to take the small opto board out which sits at the very under the playfield toward the very back. It has one molex connector and 2 opto connectors. The solder was severely washed and non conductive. I removed all the solder off every pin on the back of the board and re-layed new solder. Voila! optos work as good as new... Or should I say.. As they should for a $5.7k Tron LE!!!!!!!

Anyway... Keep this in mind if your opto's act up. They eventually will.

John

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Issue now resolved. All i did was remove the opto pcb to inspect the solder (which appeared fine to me, and had good continuity throughout the circuits) and re-fit it. After i plugged in the connectors, the issue dissapeared and normal operation resumed.

So, reseating the connectors solved this issue in my case. No resoldering needed.

Problem came back to haunt me. Turns out it was a broken opto transceiver unit. Worked in test mode fine, but played up constantly in game. Changed it out, now works 100%.

Hmmm. When I had Family Guy the only issue I had was a flaky opto also .... they must be still using the same batch
wink-1.png

Oh, regarding the red light on the opto amplifier pcb. If its 'on' then both optos are working, if its 'off' then one or both optos have a break in the connection to the pcb.

Back
Top Bottom