What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Translite scratch repair

bethamari

Registered
Hi all,

Our IJ translite looked okay originally but when the lights are on, scratches show through.

Its on the reverse white side and isn't missing any of the colour. I read here https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/translite-repair#post-1351681 that a white oil based sharpie can be used on the back to fix the scratches showing.

Looking at ours, it looks like someone has used tipex or something already on it. Can I use the oil based sharpie on top of this or should I prepare it first?

Has anyone else got any fixes that has worked for them?

Photos attached. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20180226_183813.jpg
    IMG_20180226_183813.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20180226_183823.jpg
    IMG_20180226_183823.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20180226_183945.jpg
    IMG_20180226_183945.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 39
I've used the oil based white sharpie before. Works well as long as you go sparingly and don't overlap.

Ace thanks! Do you think it matters that there is already an attempt there? It still shines through what has been done before

Really hard to tell from the photos exactly what you're up against. For the fine scratches you could definitely do it with a sharpie. The attempt in the middle of his face is probably beyond saving. But given thats the case, no harm in trying to very lightly sand it back with very fine sandpaper. Worth a shot.

You could try the water slide decal method. It would involve cleaning off the previous attempts though.

Process is...
Scan area from front side when unlit
Crop scan to area
Make waterslide decal
Clean off residual mess or touchups
Apply waterslide decal
Sample back lit
Apply transparent white to back of decal to darken and blend in with original image.

I've got the pen on order so I'll see if it makes a difference and if not we'll look at a replacement. Cheers for the ebay link! I had spotted that but was wondering if there were any in the UK

Back
Top Bottom