What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

transformer hum

Monkeyboypaul

Site Supporter
Alias
Paul G
Got a WPC95 game with a terrible transformer hum.

I've just put small rubber rings between it and the metal plate in the cabinet to try and reduce it but it didn't make the slightest difference.

the DMD is not plugged it, so it's not that, and the AV Board has recently had new caps to try and reduce and audio hum (didn't make a difference), as has the Power drive board, so I'm 99% sure this is the transformer. My ears also confirmed that.

What next? Twat it with a hammer?

If i push hard on it with a nut driver the sounds seems to reduce slightly.

My other WPC95 game is like an electric car when compared to this one's tractor engine!

Try adjusting the tightness of the mounting bolts. Remember that a lot of transformers connect to the earth braid by being clamped together with the mounting bolts.

Didn't this come up a few months ago (including the suggestion to hammer-twat it into silence). I think the solution was to remove that metal plate altogether.

So long as it's still earthed by the braid, all safe I think.

Twatting with hammer hasn't solved it, although it was hardly a severe beating. How tough are those transformers & how hard can it be hit??

When I got the game the coin door safety interlock cabling was out of the circuit/loop, so I might try reconnecting it again. Failing that I'll have the metal plate out.

Back
Top Bottom