What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Traded my STTNG for a LOTR last week any Mods suggested

cmrl9

Site Supporter
Alias
cmrl
After a Long wait since the begining of January due to Covid restrictions and an epic journey of a 13 hour drive an 8 hour ferry crossing I picked up a LOTR last week.

A big thank you to mplayfield for providing the machine, as described, set it up on Monday evening and have been very happy with it.

It has a colour screen, I was thinking of perhaps getting pinsound for it, is it worth it?

Any Mods that can still be purchased?

Any one have anything for sale at a sensible price?

Would Love some invis glass, but currently living in Northern Ireland I'm guessing shippping rules that out, although I could get it delivered to England and pick it up when I'm next over.

Site donation made.

PXL_20210705_232210280.jpg

Don't know what you have on there, but protectors for Arwen/The Shire are well worth it.

Reactions: Bod
Don't know what you have on there, but protectors for Arwen/The Shire are well worth it.
Thanks, i'm not 100% sure whats on it, it looks like some protectors, I'l take a look, where is best to get them from?

Great game - the first I owned and I remember it fondly.

Doesn't need many mods as the playfield has loads of figurines on it already.

Mirror blades do look nice though...

Great game - the first I owned and I remember it fondly.

Doesn't need many mods as the playfield has loads of figurines on it already.

Mirror blades do look nice though...
I've seen a couple that interest me, a sword that goes over the sword, and towers, but the sword is a little expensive and is in America. Hmm mirrors blades might be good, are they easy to fit?

I upgraded the speakers and it made a big difference, much better. LED OCD if it has LED’s. Pinstadiums came fitted on mine and was pretty good.
I had the sword mod, never liked it as it blocked the view of the ball so took it off and now hangs over my pin room door😂

Thanks, i'm not 100% sure whats on it, it looks like some protectors, I'l take a look, where is best to get them from?
Can't help, mine were already on when I bought it, sorry. I do know there are various alternatives. By default, one way out of the path of the dead drops the ball onto Arwen, then drops into The Shire. I have a ramp that carries the ball over Arwen that came from a source in Australia - the Shire bit has broken on mine, but I got no reply from the Aus company when I approached them, don't know if that's a covid thing or not. There is also a diverter that stops this & funnels the ball into the habitrail to theinlane, but that prevents you getting the extra souls for ending in The Shire. Plus there's a flat cover for Arwen available, but not certain where from, @Colywobbles may be able to help.

I upgraded the speakers and it made a big difference, much better. LED OCD if it has LED’s. Pinstadiums came fitted on mine and was pretty good.
I had the sword mod, never liked it as it blocked the view of the ball so took it off and now hangs over my pin room door😂
Thanks, mine sounds a bit distorted, its not a fault, I think its the compression rate of the sample on the orignal board, I belive the LE had higher res samples and pinsound is a lot higher. I'm leaning towards some pinsound speakers and board, pinstadium, hmmm very expensive, not sure its worth it, is it?

Hmm never thought of that, you don't happen to want to sell it :)

I've seen a couple that interest me, a sword that goes over the sword, and towers, but the sword is a little expensive and is in America. Hmm mirrors blades might be good, are they easy to fit?
I find the sword is meh. Horses for courses.

Mirror blades aren't hard to fit but I strongly strongly recommend removing the playfield for installation. It's not as daunting as it sounds (take photos, write with a sharpie on the connectors), and of course get someone to help you lift it out.

Can't help, mine were already on when I bought it, sorry. I do know there are various alternatives. By default, one way out of the path of the dead drops the ball onto Arwen, then drops into The Shire. I have a ramp that carries the ball over Arwen that came from a source in Australia - the Shire bit has broken on mine, but I got no reply from the Aus company when I approached them, don't know if that's a covid thing or not. There is also a diverter that stops this & funnels the ball into the habitrail to theinlane, but that prevents you getting the extra souls for ending in The Shire. Plus there's a flat cover for Arwen available, but not certain where from, @Colywobbles may be able to help.
Thanks, I believe Colywobbles protection is on some of the bits, I've looked a the cliffy protectors, there not on the machine, well what I can tell there not :)

I've looked a the cliffy protectors, there not on the machine, well what I can tell there not :)
The Gimli one is worth having. Shire also probably (although if you can get a decal it's better as that's the area that gets battered). The Orthanc one I wouldn't recommend as it affects gameplay. You can order direct from Cliffy.

I find the sword is meh. Horses for courses.

Mirror blades aren't hard to fit but I strongly strongly recommend removing the playfield for installation. It's not as daunting as it sounds (take photos, write with a sharpie on the connectors), and of course get someone to help you lift it out.
Thanks, I leave that for if I ever need to clean it or have a problem, I had enough of repairing STTNG *lol* alotugh it was working great since Jan/Feb.

The Gimli one is worth having. Shire also probably (although if you can get a decal it's better as that's the area that gets battered). The Orthanc one I wouldn't recommend as it affects gameplay. You can order direct from Cliffy.
Thanks so much, thats very helpful. Decal looks pretty good, any idea where you get it from?

Great, thanks, this is one for next pay day :) along with the two protectors, there not on the machine :)
Noticed they sell the cliffy protectors as well, thanks for the info

This game is great to mod!
Palantir and Path of the Dead mod are great.
The pinworlds Orthanc and Mt doom mods also add great colour and depth to the back of the game.
Gold ring speaker grills are nice.
LEDOCD is a must with LEDs in this game (recommend warm white frosted comets)
2Niro makes a sweet fire ring mod which I recently installed and adds a great effect to the ring shot.

Enjoy modding!

Attachments

• 20210302_153042.jpg
    20210302_153042.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 20210302_153128.jpg
    20210302_153128.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 20210302_134804.jpg
    20210302_134804.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 20210302_152108.jpg
    20210302_152108.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 20210330_222806.jpg
    20210330_222806.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 20
This game is great to mod!
Palantir and Path of the Dead mod are great.
The pinworlds Orthanc and Mt doom mods also add great colour and depth to the back of the game.
Gold ring speaker grills are nice.
LEDOCD is a must with LEDs in this game (recommend warm white frosted comets)
2Niro makes a sweet fire ring mod which I recently installed and adds a great effect to the ring shot.

Enjoy modding!
Great thanks, like the path of the dead mod nd the ring speaker grills, any idea where you get them from?

Path of the dead - I ended up buying the figures separately on eBay for £50 and then bought the plastic and sourced the fittings myself. Otherwise it's like £250 from the States.

Path of the dead - I ended up buying the figures separately on eBay for £50 and then bought the plastic and sourced the fittings myself. Otherwise it's like £250 from the States.
thanks

The best Arwen protector was made by http://redshiftled.com.au/Plastic-stuff.php but their website is gone so I imagine they aren't in business anymore. It's hard to tell if your game has one already from the photo...

That was a ghastly over engineered piece of poop.
Best protector is simply a colywobbles protector that goes on top of the Arwen plastic - that’s all that is needed.
I think I have one spare if you need it [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hi chris its got colins green protectors on the slings under the sword handle and on the i think called arwen plastic.Glad your happy with it ,i am with STTNG.Its a great game but good luck with Valinor ,

That was a ghastly over engineered piece of poop.
Best protector is simply a colywobbles protector that goes on top of the Arwen plastic - that’s all that is needed.
I think I have one spare if you need it [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, it appears I have the colywoobles protectors on the machine, thanks for the offer.

hi chris its got colins green protectors on the slings under the sword handle and on the i think called arwen plastic.Glad your happy with it ,i am with STTNG.Its a great game but good luck with Valinor ,
Thanks, I'm not far off getting the Valinor multiball, I'm struggling completing the fellowship of the ring multiball, all have to be completed along with a bunch of other things

Back
Top Bottom