What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Planning first pin... final phase

I can see the attraction, but you may find that it's a case of the grass being greener...

Agree re. the track days - a good way of having fun, but a lot better with your own car as you get used to it. It's also the only place that you can really stretch the legs of any reasonably quick car (unless you count straight line speed on a German autobahn, which doesn't appeal).

Also agree very much re. the monitored roads - that combined with increased traffic, and what seems to be a falling standard of driving - especially when you eventually get outside of a large city, with NSL roads clogged with trains of people pootling along at 40MPH really has taken the fun out of driving over the last few years. So much so that I'm seriously considering swapping my car for something "sensible" or even different, like a classic Land Rover.

I'd agree that "racing" on the open road isn't a good thing, but (and it's only my opinion) in the video, I'd not call that racing - more a "spirited drive" during which he doesn't really take any dodgy risks. He waits before overtaking until he can see that it's clear, slows down for potential hazards and seems to stay well within the performance limits of the car he's driving. I honestly think I'd be reasonably comfortable sitting in the passenger seat - I've certainly seen a lot worse driving. Again - all just my opinion though. :)

Yeah I’m not 100% sure about it yet. I’m kind of put off by track days as I’ve been on a few Lotus club meets a long time ago and everyone gets a bit carried away and ends up crashing into each other. I just like the idea of blasting down some mountain country roads in the middle of nowhere on my own lol

Got my 1st track day/time for about 15 years next month, really looking forward to it, moved to Devon, a long way from the circuits.... stopped racing due to the distance, but miss the old Touring cars series. Not sure if the RS3 will be exciting enough.....

Not done track days except for test driving at Silverstone on a Toyota Gazoo Racing Invitation day, I like the open road and street racing but I know people think this is really unacceptable but the adrenaline rush is unavoidable for me, how I started driving and I an very competitive.
Ive only got a supercharged Yaris but F me is it fun and on B roads good luck racing me🤣

^^^ RS3 - sounds like you have had some serious fun then😎

I might have to change the subject title of my thread haha.

I've never done a track day. Keep meaning to take my car but dont trust myself, my cars very tail happy so would probably test out the tyre walls on the first lap.

Yeah I’m not 100% sure about it yet. I’m kind of put off by track days as I’ve been on a few Lotus club meets a long time ago and everyone gets a bit carried away and ends up crashing into each other. I just like the idea of blasting down some mountain country roads in the middle of nowhere on my own lol

Track days can be a bit of a lottery. I've found that the better organised (and often more expensive) ones run by the likes of Goldtrack tend to attract more sensible drivers, often with more expensive cars and have less cars on track at the same time. I've also adopted a policy of stopping driving 30 minutes before the end of the day, as there is a tendency for people to keep trying that little bit more and ending up taking un-necessary risks towards the end of a session. This even happens on some expensive days to be honest. In the last 30 minutes of a full day at Spa (after I'd stopped), you could almost feel the tension increasing, and 2 x Porsche GT3 RS both separately lost it coming out of the Bus Stop onto the main straight due to trying too hard. One hit the concrete wall quite hard and went home on a recovery lorry.

Other performance sessions/driver training sessions can be great fun from the likes of CarLimits, where you learn a lot about driving, but there's only one car on the track/course at a time, so no risk of people crashing into you.

Certainly like the idea of mountain/country roads - I guess it depends where you live and how accessible these are. I'm in London, so have to go a fair distance for any decent roads. We did do 2 weeks driving round Ireland last summer - that was good fun with some great roads (and a few fairly rough ones too) but very little traffic throughout! The Healy Pass was brilliant with visibility way ahead and not another car on the road:

49310670282_98d4229f76_k.jpg

I might have to change the subject title of my thread haha.

I've never done a track day. Keep meaning to take my car but dont trust myself, my cars very tail happy so would probably test out the tyre walls on the first lap.

Whoops - sorry taking the thread off-topic!

The first track day // performance day we ever did was with CarLimits.com - basically it's a 2 person or 4 person training day on a deserted airfield - as you appear to be in Reading, the nearest venue is probably North Weald airfield just North of London on the M11. They also run sessions at Blyton circuit in Lincolnshire. You get 1 on 1 tuition, and practise high speed corners, handling techniques etc, with nothing to hit but a few cones. There's only ever 1 car on the circuit at a time. It's great fun, you learn lots, and with no risk to you or the car. :)

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with straightline speed either for a rush 👍
I’ve got my beast all ready for a high speed run at Elvington.
Decated the pipes, ECU flashed, quickshifter, 186MPH restrictor gone so capable of 200mph club on the day.... weather depending.
14E43A7F-C01A-4811-A681-5E80E43EC838.jpeg

Probably did 50 odd track days then raced Classic Touring cars for years.. .. had an international race licence before it lapsed :(

Very nearly raced in the Classic at Le Mans....

Will be interesting to see what confidence remains at my older age......

Yep, crashed twice only..... both at Brands, in the wet, at the entry to Surtees corner to the GP circuit !! Went in backwards both times...

Yup.....
I creamed in at Knockhill at Duffus Dip - in wet..
Did it again at Croft when some w*nker stole my apex and I had no choice but to throw the anchor out, stood bike up, ride into the gravel hit the tyre wall 🤕

Whoops - sorry taking the thread off-topic!

The first track day // performance day we ever did was with CarLimits.com - basically it's a 2 person or 4 person training day on a deserted airfield - as you appear to be in Reading, the nearest venue is probably North Weald airfield just North of London on the M11. They also run sessions at Blyton circuit in Lincolnshire. You get 1 on 1 tuition, and practise high speed corners, handling techniques etc, with nothing to hit but a few cones. There's only ever 1 car on the circuit at a time. It's great fun, you learn lots, and with no risk to you or the car. :)
I doubt I will get a chance to do a track day before I move up north but an airfield is definitely a good shout. Its impossible to use my car to it's full potential on the roads and have a much more sensible head these days. Maybe I should just trade for a Honda Jazz and accept it...... I am getting old 😂

Track days can be a bit of a lottery. I've found that the better organised (and often more expensive) ones run by the likes of Goldtrack tend to attract more sensible drivers, often with more expensive cars and have less cars on track at the same time. I've also adopted a policy of stopping driving 30 minutes before the end of the day, as there is a tendency for people to keep trying that little bit more and ending up taking un-necessary risks towards the end of a session. This even happens on some expensive days to be honest. In the last 30 minutes of a full day at Spa (after I'd stopped), you could almost feel the tension increasing, and 2 x Porsche GT3 RS both separately lost it coming out of the Bus Stop onto the main straight due to trying too hard. One hit the concrete wall quite hard and went home on a recovery lorry.

Other performance sessions/driver training sessions can be great fun from the likes of CarLimits, where you learn a lot about driving, but there's only one car on the track/course at a time, so no risk of people crashing into you.

Certainly like the idea of mountain/country roads - I guess it depends where you live and how accessible these are. I'm in London, so have to go a fair distance for any decent roads. We did do 2 weeks driving round Ireland last summer - that was good fun with some great roads (and a few fairly rough ones too) but very little traffic throughout! The Healy Pass was brilliant with visibility way ahead and not another car on the road:

View attachment 112893

Ooh Noble :) We're actually thinking about moving to North Wales later in the year, so we'd be very close to the fantastic Anglsey Circuit. For me that'd just be a dream day out bombing around the track with those amazing sea views.

Ooh Noble :) We're actually thinking about moving to North Wales later in the year, so we'd be very close to the fantastic Anglsey Circuit. For me that'd just be a dream day out bombing around the track with those amazing sea views.
Agreed, Anglesey looks awesome, missed out on a Superbike school there last year. It’s has nice big grassy run offs if you over cook....

Agreed, Anglesey looks awesome, missed out on a Superbike school there last year. It’s has nice big grassy run offs if you over cook....

Yeah I have a tendency to go into video game mode on track. I’ll be like “oh my god I’m so good at this I’m literally overtaking everybody, who needs brakes anyway? Brakes are for losers”....and then in a sudden surprise I realise I’m spinning a single seater off the track at Silverstone at 100mph. Then off to the sin bin to cool down.

Pembrey not far from me is supposed to be good, but I just know I will push it too hard 😬

Since the threads been changed to Track days... 😃
Mountain Course IOM TT - done that a good few times now...
Not racing - officially 😂

I will change the name back if I need any help and if anyone wants to get in touch in the meantime to share advice on pins, drop me a PM 😉

I give driver training classes every other year at Nordschleife - unfortunately this year cancelled but it’s two weeks of joy driving BMW’s latest. With a large number of days the track closed only to the classes. Still a chance in late September but not looking likely.

With friends I we do a run through the alps, Black Forest, stelvio in and out Of Italy thru to France and back it the UK - 4000 miles thru a load of the passes epic roads and amazing greenery and great food and amazing air quality. Sadly though it’s every three years as the Swiss police are counts and the penalties for speeding severe so usually some of us get banned for three years. If you are really unlucky they try and fine you in the tens of thousands of pounds.

211f281e31d8112185c48bee99682bf5.jpg
24267770bbd2058e60b1612253a52b22.jpg
3fa358d5f5cc46033b991fddda1092cb.jpg
5b1327f9f8c4e056cc3857f108de535e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Like how your car changes colour depending on wether photos are from the front or the back :rofl:

and obviously those roads are made for Italiana not oo=[][]=oo 😄😇 :thumbs:

Yeah multiple years that I’ve gone with different cars. The white M5 was 800BHP - always amusing to see the looks on a McLaren’s owners face when I overtook them in my two ton barge [emoji1787][emoji41]

Neil.

While ago, borrowed a supercharged H2 from my friendly Kawasaki dealer for a couple of hours.....did some time travel 😂
D-I-V-O-R-C-E fodder if I even think about getting one:-

I give driver training classes every other year at Nordschleife - unfortunately this year cancelled but it’s two weeks of joy driving BMW’s latest. With a large number of days the track closed only to the classes. Still a chance in late September but not looking likely.

Are these BMW only (I'm guessing for new BMW owners)?

We did a few laps of the Nordschleife on a Touristefahrten day a while back. Although nowhere near 800BHP, the car is slightly modified so reasonably quick in a straight line (442 BHP, 0-60 in 3.4 seconds) and as it's only around 1050Kg with a good chassis, it goes round corners very well too. Only limiting factor is the lack of talent behind the steering wheel! :)
4760175808_5a66017a66_c.jpg

It's the first and last time I'll be doing a Touristefahrten day though. The circuit is brilliant, and I'd love to drive it again, but only on a controlled track day or similar where there's a degree of discipline. The open day was chaos with overtaking on both sides into bends resulting in multiple track closures. My wife was not impressed as we're waiting in the car park when they announce track closed, then an ambulance goes in followed by recovery truck. This happened several times.

4760476314_f3ba1d60ab_c.jpg

The following day - full day track day at Spa could not have been more different - no stress at all and lots of fun, provided as mentioned earlier that you stop a short while before the end when people tend to get too excited and take a few risks. To be honest, even then, as there are not many cars on track, any issues tend to be someone losing it, but usually nowhere near other cars.

4760085311_dc2378395a_c.jpg

The ones I teach at are BMW only - but lots of other manufacturers do it.

A few of my mates go over to the Nurburgring every year or so.
They want me to go but I’ve declined. They are in their 50s but they are complete loons on a bike.
No holds barred on the trip there.
Once at the circuit, they overtake most high end Supercars, knee down, sparking knee slider overtakes 😂crazy bast*rds - one of them is an ex TT racer

Back
Top Bottom