What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Planning first pin... final phase

I came into this hobby with rose tinted classes thinking modern games couldn't hold a candle next those 90s game I played as a kid.

As I played more and more games from the likes of Stern and JJP, I realised how shallow some of the rules/ modes were on my boyhood favourites. If you have a one in one out policy then you'll definitely want a game that's going to keep you busy for some time. I would look towards the likes of Ironman, Spider-Man, Star Trek or Ghostbusters.

LOL, you are getting rid of TWD because you don't have time to learn its intricacies and rulesets - but you are geting TSPP?

"The Simpsons Pinball Party offers a breadth of strategy and intricacy in rules, and is thus considered one of the most complex pinball machines ever built."

TSPP is the most complex rule set ever devised but also much more user friendly for casual players as far as I understand. Doesn’t really matter anyway as they’re all getting swapped for a Caterham 320S or an MK Indy Hyabusa later in the year.

Surprised no one has bigged up JD, its one of my faves and a whole lot of bang for your buck. 4 flippers, plenty of shots, even just the mini top right flipper has I think 5 different shots to make, great classic 90's pin humour, mods to add if you want to pimp over time, art blades, deadworld mod, colour dmd, crane/sniper tower/chimney mods on pinside, etc. Enough depth with 12 modes to get to wizzrd mode, 6 ball multiball, eagle topper. My first pin was DM, same make and era,( williams mid 90's widebody) and I still miss it. If you start with a modern 5k stern you might find these older classic games a step backwards but if you start with a great classic circa £2.5k and then a more modern game like SM, then work up to recent releases like GB or SW its a natural progression, both financially and development wise. If you start with a colour 27 inch hi def monitor you wont want to follow it with a monocrome dmd, but if you start with the dmd, then a colour dmd, then hi def colour monitor showing, for example, Star Wars clips it will be the natural way to go over time, in my humble opinion of course!

After giving up superbikes for having kids, I’m really starting to think the pinball collection needs to go in order to fund one of these mad machines

.But, we are getting there! :rofl:

EDIT : Sorry, was supposed to quote neils link to my thread - its a good learning task!

Last edited:
.But, we are getting there! :rofl:

EDIT : Sorry, was supposed to quote neils link to my thread - its a good learning task!

Lol :)

It wasn’t a dig [emoji1] just merely that a lot of games floating around in the WMS WPC era (and also Data east/Sega) have some horrible hacks to keep them going; often when you unpick them they open Pandora’s box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lol :)

It wasn’t a dig [emoji1] just merely that a lot of games floating around in the WMS WPC era (and also Data east/Sega) have some horrible hacks to keep them going; often when you unpick them they open Pandora’s box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
To some people that's half the fun of getting the machines back to how they should be.

That's the fun part! This one was just a stretch too far without further guidance.

At least I know it will be spot on when it's done

get a track day or two, keep the pins

They are not suited to UK weather, or indeed monitored roads
Yep, keep the pins....
Love the bikes too - just sold my tricked out Daytona 675 with all my track bits on it. Sad to see it go but wasn’t getting enough time to justify having a dedicated track bike ☹️37D056C8-52B9-4BA9-8AC5-2AF6C2E10AF8.jpeg

i must be getting old, grumpy and miserable. I watched the footage and it looks to me that not only he is endangering his life, he is also endangering the life of others. I get the adrenaline rush, the excitement of racing etc... and I don't mind racing in a track environment, but racing on the open road? Not for me i am sorry. The only saving grace is that if i am involved in a collision with him, i know which car i'd rather be in. And it isnt his.

I know i am just sad and grumpy. I'll go back to my knitted jumpers and day-time TV.

Thanks all for the advice on my latest list, definitely a divide as to what I should go for and seems like the best option is perhaps to get what's available when the time comes. Maybe there will be a great deal on a machine I've not even listed that cant be ignored. I'll post on here confirmation as to what the first machine turns out to be. Place your bets!! 😉

Also final note, is it ok when buying on here to check with another forum member as to whether the seller is reputable and if so, who would be willing to be asked?

One thing to consider is that all our opinions will be swayed by A: Opinion of the theme and B: Ability.

Some players won't enjoy Monster Bash for example because it is an easy game for them. But the truth is that isn't the case for the majority of people and i doubt anyone would claim that the sounds, animations and layout are anything but impressive.

I would also consider choosing a simpler machine for your first (I mean the mechanical toys on the game) as at some point you are likely to have to fix them. TSPP, STTNG, Addams & TZ have a lot of mechs in them which makes one failing more likely. Others such as AFM or ST Pro have less on them so in theory are less likely to need fixing (statistically anyway).

It is also worth noting that the simpler games tend to be your 'flow' machines and those with more mechs are more 'start/stop'. Have you played enough machines to know which style you prefer?

Good luck with the search

One thing to consider is that all our opinions will be swayed by A: Opinion of the theme and B: Ability.

Some players won't enjoy Monster Bash for example because it is an easy game for them. But the truth is that isn't the case for the majority of people and i doubt anyone would claim that the sounds, animations and layout are anything but impressive.

I would also consider choosing a simpler machine for your first (I mean the mechanical toys on the game) as at some point you are likely to have to fix them. TSPP, STTNG, Addams & TZ have a lot of mechs in them which makes one failing more likely. Others such as AFM or ST Pro have less on them so in theory are less likely to need fixing (statistically anyway).

It is also worth noting that the simpler games tend to be your 'flow' machines and those with more mechs are more 'start/stop'. Have you played enough machines to know which style you prefer?

Good luck with the search
Hi Matt,

Thanks for the message, in terms of the machines ive enjoyed playing the most, I would say that I unfortunately have expensive taste which is why I am struggling. My favourites would be MB, MM, CV, AFM, GB & one I have never played but would love to own is Cactus Canyon. I am not sure if any of these machines are similar to others that I should consider?

They are what i would call 'flow' games. There are less sought after (less expensive) options that you can use to dip your toe in such as:

No Fear
Black knight 2000
Sopranos
Indy 500
Dirty Harry
Fish Tales

But if you can afford an AFM, MB or ST then as long as you pay the going rate they will be very easy to sell should you change your mind or fancy some variety.

They are what i would call 'flow' games. There are less sought after (less expensive) options that you can use to dip your toe in such as:

No Fear
Black knight 2000
Sopranos
Indy 500
Dirty Harry
Fish Tales

But if you can afford an AFM, MB or ST then as long as you pay the going rate they will be very easy to sell should you change your mind or fancy some variety.
Thanks Matt, I'll take a look at the mentioned machines, I've played Fish Tales and that's on my short list. I see in your Avatar add that you have some of my favs so let me know if you ever plan to sell any I've listed that you have...... worth asking 😉

Thanks Matt, I'll take a look at the mentioned machines, I've played Fish Tales and that's on my short list. I see in your Avatar add that you have some of my favs so let me know if you ever plan to sell any I've listed that you have...... worth asking 😉

Very true.

I found a MB for someone recently so they are out there.

If I had room left for an older pin - based on theme alone it would have to be Sopranos or Dirty Harry - firkin awesome.
Right since this is a newbie type thread.
Anyone want to tell me what happens on my Tron pin when Special When Lit is .....lit red in the outlanes 😂 - yes I’m a novice

Anyone want to tell me what happens on my Tron pin when Special When Lit is .....lit red in the outlanes 😂 - yes I’m a novice

It scores a replay (adds a credit / a free game) meaning you can make your money go further and play more games on the machine.

After giving up superbikes for having kids, I’m really starting to think the pinball collection needs to go in order to fund one of these mad machines

I can see the attraction, but you may find that it's a case of the grass being greener...

get a track day or two, keep the pins

They are not suited to UK weather, or indeed monitored roads

Agree re. the track days - a good way of having fun, but a lot better with your own car as you get used to it. It's also the only place that you can really stretch the legs of any reasonably quick car (unless you count straight line speed on a German autobahn, which doesn't appeal).

Also agree very much re. the monitored roads - that combined with increased traffic, and what seems to be a falling standard of driving - especially when you eventually get outside of a large city, with NSL roads clogged with trains of people pootling along at 40MPH really has taken the fun out of driving over the last few years. So much so that I'm seriously considering swapping my car for something "sensible" or even different, like a classic Land Rover.

i must be getting old, grumpy and miserable. I watched the footage and it looks to me that not only he is endangering his life, he is also endangering the life of others. I get the adrenaline rush, the excitement of racing etc... and I don't mind racing in a track environment, but racing on the open road? Not for me i am sorry.

I'd agree that "racing" on the open road isn't a good thing, but (and it's only my opinion) in the video, I'd not call that racing - more a "spirited drive" during which he doesn't really take any dodgy risks. He waits before overtaking until he can see that it's clear, slows down for potential hazards and seems to stay well within the performance limits of the car he's driving. I honestly think I'd be reasonably comfortable sitting in the passenger seat - I've certainly seen a lot worse driving. Again - all just my opinion though. :)

Back
Top Bottom