What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Planning first pin... final phase

so for that money, if you are set on a BW game, should be able to get a lot of good BW games: I'd recommend:

i500, theatre of magic, the shadow, junkyard, creech, ST:TNG, BSD, Congo, No Good Gofers

some of the best titles MM MB AFM you might get lucky but suspect anything at 4K will be a dogs dinner.

then there are the titles that everyone wants but are ropey gameplay wise:
TZ TAF CV TOTAN with CV probably the best of them at 4K you'll probably get howlers.

4K though, stern wise you could get so many epic games. Spiderman, TWD, GOT, WPT, TFS, BDK, Star Trek...

Neil.
Thanks Neil, you've been a lot of help on my thread with sharing advice. From the list of games you've mentioned, there are a few that I like the look of that you've mentioned apart from the obvious ones and CV has made my shortlist as think it's a beautiful looking machine and I am a fan of the music and call outs. Shadow is another one that I like, the battlefield is a cool feature, never played one though. If i was to go Stern rather than BW, i would probably want to go for GB pro or JP pro so would increase budget slightly for either of those.

Always fancied a WPT. Ugly A$$ game but something about it appeals to me.

I'd say for a 4k max budget you want a Spiderman, great rules and flow and relatively easy/long ball time type game and can be had for less depending on condition/extras etc. If going BW I'd go Shadow or STTNG, bang for buck but would personally avoid Creech. Just a little too simple despite being cool.
Agree with pretty much everything you've said, never been a Star Trek fan though and couldn't have that theme in my games room, each to their own I guess.

Afternoon All,

The planning of my first pin continues and I've spent hours trying to narrow down my list and am struggling so some advice would be appreciated on my revised selection below.

The sensible side of my brain is saying to not spend more than £2.5k but my favourites are double this so if anyone could shed light on what they'd take from this list as a starter pin, it would be much appreciated.

1. MB
2. AFM
3. ST pro
4. Spiderman
5. White Water
6. GB pro
7. Shadow
8. Star Wars Pro
9. BSD
10. GHS2
11. FT
12. JD
13. BDK

If I've got any of the acronyms wrong, let me know and I'll put the full names in.

Thanks All 😉

Afternoon All,

The planning of my first pin continues and I've spent hours trying to narrow down my list and am struggling so some advice would be appreciated on my revised selection below.

The sensible side of my brain is saying to not spend more than £2.5k but my favourites are double this so if anyone could shed light on what they'd take from this list as a starter pin, it would be much appreciated.

1. MB
2. AFM
3. ST pro
4. Spiderman
5. White Water
6. GB pro
7. Shadow
8. Star Wars Pro
9. BSD
10. GHS2
11. FT
12. JD
13. BDK

If I've got any of the acronyms wrong, let me know and I'll put the full names in.

Thanks All 😉

I'd say Spiderman. Good rules, very flowy, not too tricky but a great challenge to get deep into the game, loaded pin, good price. Bit of a modern classic

I think you’re putting too much thought into this. The danger with narrowing your choices down too much is that you may end up with nothing. Or nothing but disappointment. Just wait and see what comes up for sale and if you fancy it and can afford it buy it. It’s not really a buyers market.

I think you’re putting too much thought into this. The danger with narrowing your choices down too much is that you may end up with nothing. Or nothing but disappointment. Just wait and see what comes up for sale and if you fancy it and can afford it buy it. It’s not really a buyers market.
I am willing to be patient and still have a bit of time before I will be making a purchase. Just want to get opinions on what people would take from the list and why 😉

I am willing to be patient and still have a bit of time before I will be making a purchase. Just want to get opinions on what people would take from the list and why 😉

For what it’s worth I’d go with either BSD or FT for your first. But others will totally disagree. My first was Cue Ball Wizard (£800) and honestly I wish I’d never sold it. Quite a basic game but so enjoyable and the cue ball offered so many different shot opportunities. HLD bought it off me and sold it for £3500. Anyway, the point is that there are some cheaper games that you’d never even consider in a million years which could turn out to be awesome. I find that I get more enjoyment from the cheaper machines. The more expensive ones I’ve bought would be fine in a large collection but individually I find them disappointing for the amount of money invested. BSD I find is just a perfect bang per buck. It’s not a game that you will enjoy on location or at a show because you need that to hear that audio and immerse yourself in the game uninterrupted. AFM is a bloody brilliant game if you can afford it, so is Monster Bash. Whether those fall into my previous statement about being fine in a larger collection rather than a smaller one I just don’t know.

If it's a one pin setup type deal I'd stay away from older games. Fish Tales, Drac etc will get old fast.

If it's a one pin setup type deal I'd stay away from older games. Fish Tales, Drac etc will get old fast.

It’s totally subjective. BSD will never get old for me. Love Never Dies. Definitely the best game I’ve owned so far. It’s just a damn satisfying game when it comes together. Extremely challenging and brutal when it doesn’t. For me it’s a keeper. Except for the fact I’m trying to reduce the collection to one machine and TSPP is incoming.

It’s totally subjective. BSD will never get old for me. Love Never Dies. Definitely the best game I’ve owned so far. It’s just a damn satisfying game when it comes together. Extremely challenging and brutal when it doesn’t. For me it’s a keeper. Except for the fact I’m trying to reduce the collection to one machine and TSPP is incoming.

Oh yeah subjective for sure. I actually love drac just not sure it's an ideal first pin or single pin type of game.

Oh yeah subjective for sure. I actually love drac just not sure it's an ideal first pin or single pin type of game.

I’ve never played TSPP but I’m guessing it must be good if its good enough for Bowen’s two machine collection. It’s going to have to be really ****ing good to stop me keeping BSD. Certainly TWD, TAF and what was always my ultimate...TOM have and will go before BSD ever leaves.

I’ve never played TSPP but I’m guessing it must be good if its good enough for Bowen’s two machine collection. It’s going to have to be really ****ing good to stop me keeping BSD. Certainly TWD, TAF and what was always my ultimate...TOM have and will go before BSD ever leaves.

Haha well it couldn't be more different than BSD that's for sure. My Addams Family lasted approximately 2 weeks..... I've not yet owned a TWD as I kinda hate the theme but I do love the game and definitely on my radar one day

Haha well it couldn't be more different than BSD that's for sure. My Addams Family lasted approximately 2 weeks..... I've not yet owned a TWD as I kinda hate the theme but I do love the game and definitely on my radar one day

TWD is a great game, but I’m done with it. As a fairly casual player I don’t have the time to learn it’s intricacies and rulesets. I’m an ‘arcade mode’ kind of player. Entertain me for 20mins to an hour and then I can happily slope off and watch Netflix or do some work. TAF actually fits that bill, but it’s just too stop start, repetitive, loud and obnoxious for my liking.

TWD is a great game, but I’m done with it. As a fairly casual player I don’t have the time to learn it’s intricacies and rulesets. I’m an ‘arcade mode’ kind of player. Entertain me for 20mins to an hour and then I can happily slope off and watch Netflix or do some work. TAF actually fits that bill, but it’s just too stop start, repetitive, loud and obnoxious for my liking.

TAF it's basically ramp-scoop, ramp-scoop forever and ever!

Just sold my TAF, lovely to look at. I enjoyed playing it now and again. My BSD is rooted and looks like TWD I recently got is too.
Im starting to think I need something much simpler to play as well, chasing high scores rather than modes all the time.

Appreciate the offer, not sure I'll be able to come round before you sell, will let you know 👍

I wasn't pimping it for sale mate, unless anyone has a TWD or MM to deal it's staying for quite some time.

I just meant if you wanted to pop over for a cup of tea and try it out before you spend money I have a LOTR, STTNG and an AFM.

of that list - Star Trek Pro or AFM then MB. but your are looking at >£4K

Spiderman you might find for less than 4K which is a great game also. If you want to see the worst use of a license ever get Star Wars and then cry.

The Shadow if you want to spend <£2.5

on that list the rest of the Bally/Williams game you need to make sure that who you bought it from was clueful or you will end up on a thread like this one:

https://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/bop-new-issues-head-motor-switch-error.46091/

BSD is the most buggy game WMS every made, its a good game but it's high maintenance.

I've got MB/AFM/ST/The shadow in woking if you want to play them

Cheers,
Neil.

LOL, you are getting rid of TWD because you don't have time to learn its intricacies and rulesets - but you are geting TSPP?

"The Simpsons Pinball Party offers a breadth of strategy and intricacy in rules, and is thus considered one of the most complex pinball machines ever built."

Back
Top Bottom