What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Planning first pin... final phase

how's your soldering? if ****, avoid old games.

If I was you I'd be looking for a Stern 2014-2018 as your first game - Star Trek, The Walking Dead, Spider-man, batman dark knight, Game of Thrones, Metallica, aerosmith maybe 4-6K

you'll have no major issues with it and as you get the odd thing you can learn slowly and spend more time playing than fixing.

if you can get a CGC MM MB remake (don't forget the best one AFM!) then go for that; mine have been bullet proof.

Neil.

When they re-open, I guess that closest to St Helens would be Arcade Club in Bury, and probably with more variety is Tilt in Birmingham (I think Phil from Pinball Heaven supplies their machines).
Thanks for the heads up, you've been very helpful. I did read that their was a place called tilt in Birmingham so might have to try that out. I thought that PH also had their own premises relatively close to St Helen's but might be confusing them with someone else as I've been all over the net the past month or so.

how's your soldering? if ****, avoid old games.

If I was you I'd be looking for a Stern 2014-2018 as your first game - Star Trek, The Walking Dead, Spider-man, batman dark knight, Game of Thrones, Metallica, aerosmith maybe 4-6K

you'll have no major issues with it and as you get the odd thing you can learn slowly and spend more time playing than fixing.

if you can get a CGC MM MB remake (don't forget the best one AFM!) then go for that; mine have been bullet proof.

Neil.
Hi Neil, I am not overly keen on any of the newer stern machines from a theme perspective, call me fussy I know.

I would love to get a CGC remake but sounds as though it's not the sensible choice for a first pin due to the cost.

I think I will have to keep an eye open for a newly refurbished machine from a reputable source at a fair price, hopefully that happens frequently. 🤔

Have you played any of those games? Theme is one thing - gameplay is another. To get a decent one of the games on your list won’t be cheap either 4-5K maybe more for some of the titles and quickly you’ll find the gameplay isn’t too deep. The stern’s I’ve mentioned all have very strong gameplay.

Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for the heads up, you've been very helpful. I did read that their was a place called tilt in Birmingham so might have to try that out. I thought that PH also had their own premises relatively close to St Helen's but might be confusing them with someone else as I've been all over the net the past month or so.

PH doesn’t have a place other than at Tilt.

Have you played any of those games? Theme is one thing - gameplay is another. To get a decent one of the games on your list won’t be cheap either 4-5K maybe more for some of the titles and quickly you’ll find the gameplay isn’t too deep. The stern’s I’ve mentioned all have very strong gameplay.

Neil

Hi Neil, I've not played any of the games mentioned on your list but seen detailed YouTube videos on a few of them and half of them I cant get past the theme, I wont name which ones out of respect to those that own the machines.

I know I have expensive taste in machines but might take the advise received from others and look for a popular 90's pin in the region of £3k - £4k as that should hopefully fetch a decent one and I'll have the cash for that.

... and half of them I cant get past the theme, I wont name which ones out of respect to those that own the machines.

I wouldn't worry too much about that dude! The Walking Dead is a shockingly bad theme but an awesome title. Man that is one ugly a$$ game though haha.

With a healthy budget like that you'll be able to snap up most 90s games that should be in excellent condition.

I bought my TWD PRO from HLD with a 1 year warranty as I didn't really know where to go so overpaid. They delivered it when I was out so her indoors took the delivery. When I got back it was sat in the conservatory as they said they couldn't get it in the room of choice. Me and my brother had no issues getting it in, albeit very tight, when the flippers went on it (would stick) a chap came out to fix them and also changed rubbers and gave it a good clean. Even set it up right for me (I had no idea it wasn't set up right being a complete novice) he explained to me not to mention that he had carried out additional cleaning/set up etc so I cannot fault him at all a real top bloke. TWD theme I'm not really big on and the art isn't great either but it shoots great and the rules/code are awesome. I prefer more brutal games, IM, GB, BK as I'm not really big on overly long ball times. I love TWD but I also hate it, man when it comes out of those pops and goes stdm and the same after hitting the prison it makes my blood boil 🤬🤬🤬

I bought my TWD PRO from HLD with a 1 year warranty as I didn't really know where to go so overpaid. They delivered it when I was out so her indoors took the delivery. When I got back it was sat in the conservatory as they said they couldn't get it in the room of choice. Me and my brother had no issues getting it in, albeit very tight, when the flippers went on it (would stick) a chap came out to fix them and also changed rubbers and gave it a good clean. Even set it up right for me (I had no idea it wasn't set up right being a complete novice) he explained to me not to mention that he had carried out additional cleaning/set up etc so I cannot fault him at all a real top bloke. TWD theme I'm not really big on and the art isn't great either but it shoots great and the rules/code are awesome. I prefer more brutal games, IM, GB, BK as I'm not really big on overly long ball times. I love TWD but I also hate it, man when it comes out of those pops and goes stdm and the same after hitting the prison it makes my blood boil 🤬🤬🤬

I think TWD is really sensitive to angle, I bet if you changed the height a tiny fraction on one side you won't get any of those STDM's. I never have them on mine unless it comes back down the Bicycle Girl ramp. Mine are usually off down the outlanes.

I think TWD is really sensitive to angle, I bet if you changed the height a tiny fraction on one side you won't get any of those STDM's. I never have them on mine unless it comes back down the Bicycle Girl ramp. Mine are usually off down the outlanes.
Yes being quite a novice to this I thought you needed to just make sure the bubble level is right on?

This is an easy one to answer.

Buy the game you like playing the most. Simple.

Yes being quite a novice to this I thought you needed to just make sure the bubble level is right on?

I have a bubble levelling app on my smartphone which gives you accurate 3 dimensional numbers. Just lay it on the playfield. The bubble level on the machine is next to near useless.

Hi Neil, I've not played any of the games mentioned on your list but seen detailed YouTube videos on a few of them and half of them I cant get past the theme, I wont name which ones out of respect to those that own the machines.

I know I have expensive taste in machines but might take the advise received from others and look for a popular 90's pin in the region of £3k - £4k as that should hopefully fetch a decent one and I'll have the cash for that.

ok if you are going to do that then I suggest the following:

get a shadow, indy500 or a TNG.

I'd avoid WPC95 unless someone has given it a very good going over recently and replaced all the switches.

but honestly you are ignoring some of the best games in pinball if you don't fancy any of that era of games.

Neil

Agreed with Neil - there will come a point where you will see past the theme to some degree. Obviously not 100% but there are some games I'd happily own that are cursed with some bloody shocking themes.

Spend 2K or so on a game you like and ask for help here when it goes wrong. If you really can't fix it, that couple of grand you saved buys a lot of maintenance man time.

Good evening folks,

While I've been counting down the weeks before being able to purchase my first pin, ive been quietly reviewing the for sale threads on here to get an idea of prices on machines. Although I will likely put my trust in another forum member looking to sell on, I was wondering if anyone has ever used Williamsamusements website as I see they dont have the same crazy prices as HLD or Liberty.

Just curious so anyone that has, would be great to know.

Cheers very much!

I was wondering if anyone has ever used Williamsamusements website as I see they dont have the same crazy prices as HLD or Liberty.

Majority of people say avoid, the remainder say go and inspect very closely before buying anything from them. Buyer beware and all that.

Majority of people say avoid, the remainder say go and inspect very closely before buying anything from them. Buyer beware and all that.
Thanks for letting me know, it's a shame there are so few decent retailers in the UK, perhaps Pinball Heaven should run a "How it's done" seminar. I think I will be posting on the wanted list on here once I am ready. 😉

My take would be buying a pin on credit would be an expensive idea.

If you do go down the route of NIB then Phil / Pinball Heaven would be by far the best choice.

Avoid HLD, Arcade Warehouse etc.

If buying 2nd hand go for one from a known member on this forum. If it’s someone local they probably would help out when something goes wrong. eBay isn’t the best place unless you are happy mending loads of undeclared problems.

Whatever you buy, something will go wrong sooner or later. Most fixes are relatively simple. You will need to learn to use a soldering iron There’s lots of people will to help via the forum. Also if you get totally stuck they will recommend someone to fix it. In more normal times join your local league And get to play a range of games and meet people who can help you mend problems.

Whatever game you buy you will eventually get bored of. Luckily as a newcomer there are loads of other games out there to buy. Enter into the world of trading games and bad backs. Say goodbye to the remaining funds in your bank account. Learn to view any space left in your house as potential pin space

Personally I would dip my toe into the water with a sub 4K game. Work out if it is the hobby for you. Play it to death. Then add a bit more cash to the pot and trade up. If you’re happy with that then go for a brand new machine.

My take would be buying a pin on credit would be an expensive idea.

If you do go down the route of NIB then Phil / Pinball Heaven would be by far the best choice.

Avoid HLD, Arcade Warehouse etc.

If buying 2nd hand go for one from a known member on this forum. If it’s someone local they probably would help out when something goes wrong. eBay isn’t the best place unless you are happy mending loads of undeclared problems.

Whatever you buy, something will go wrong sooner or later. Most fixes are relatively simple. You will need to learn to use a soldering iron There’s lots of people will to help via the forum. Also if you get totally stuck they will recommend someone to fix it. In more normal times join your local league And get to play a range of games and meet people who can help you mend problems.

Whatever game you buy you will eventually get bored of. Luckily as a newcomer there are loads of other games out there to buy. Enter into the world of trading games and bad backs. Say goodbye to the remaining funds in your bank account. Learn to view any space left in your house as potential pin space

Personally I would dip my toe into the water with a sub 4K game. Work out if it is the hobby for you. Play it to death. Then add a bit more cash to the pot and trade up. If you’re happy with that then go for a brand new machine.
Thanks for sharing your opinion on my initial message, I wont be using credit for buying first pin and will probably budget roughly £4k so will hopefully get me a decent one. With regards to how many I will own, we shall see 😉

so for that money, if you are set on a BW game, should be able to get a lot of good BW games: I'd recommend:

i500, theatre of magic, the shadow, junkyard, creech, ST:TNG, BSD, Congo, No Good Gofers

some of the best titles MM MB AFM you might get lucky but suspect anything at 4K will be a dogs dinner.

then there are the titles that everyone wants but are ropey gameplay wise:
TZ TAF CV TOTAN with CV probably the best of them at 4K you'll probably get howlers.

4K though, stern wise you could get so many epic games. Spiderman, TWD, GOT, WPT, TFS, BDK, Star Trek...

Neil.

so for that money, if you are set on a BW game, should be able to get a lot of good BW games: I'd recommend:

i500, theatre of magic, the shadow, junkyard, creech, ST:TNG, BSD, Congo, No Good Gofers

some of the best titles MM MB AFM you might get lucky but suspect anything at 4K will be a dogs dinner.

then there are the titles that everyone wants but are ropey gameplay wise:
TZ TAF CV TOTAN with CV probably the best of them at 4K you'll probably get howlers.

4K though, stern wise you could get so many epic games. Spiderman, TWD, GOT, WPT, TFS, BDK, Star Trek...

Neil.

Always fancied a WPT. Ugly A$$ game but something about it appeals to me.

I'd say for a 4k max budget you want a Spiderman, great rules and flow and relatively easy/long ball time type game and can be had for less depending on condition/extras etc. If going BW I'd go Shadow or STTNG, bang for buck but would personally avoid Creech. Just a little too simple despite being cool.

Back
Top Bottom