What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tommy prototype - video ! : )

Sgt GrizZ

Registered
Ex PinballInfo Admin . MIA Brighton Hove beach
Alias
Ive
Thanks to Mike Nogle of Great American Pinball - some vid of Tommy proto in

action.:cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raH9FY2bZvU

Need to watch it properly now and check out all the differences. Apart from the

layout - certainly some of the sounds/music are different also.

Woohoo - been waiting years to see this
biggrin-1.png

Link up on Tommy FB page also

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Whos-Tommy-Pinball-Wizard-Pinball-Machine-Data\

-East-1994/147739828633855

Sweet - someone just FB'd me a picture of Prototype #1 , signed by Lyman I believe. They owned it in the early 2000s.

373969_2654313645004_1470701143_33044170_754969743_n.jpg

A great game that one. Must get my hands on one..........

So, what are the differences between this proto and the later models? (not that clued up on Tommy)

Rus121' date=' post: 1688510 said:
A great game that one. Must get my hands on one..........

So, what are the differences between this proto and the later models? (not that clued up on Tommy)

Big differences - prob more than most protos...where it is perhaps just artwork or maybe 1 feature changed. Here's the summary I just put on my Tommy FB fanpage....

1. The most obvious addition is the 3 extra (yellow) pop bumpers, making 6 pops in total !

2. The '3 -Bank Targets' on the right are in a different position, kind of taking the position of the Captive ball in the production game. There is also an additional '3 Bank Targets' mid table where the single 'More Time' target is in regular game.

These targets are also solid '3D' style rectangular, as opposed to the flat circular used in production.

3. The ramps are plastic, not metal. They seem to be in pretty much the same positions. The left ramp returns the ball to the right flipper via wireform. The right ramp feeds to either flipper via a divertor . Not sure how this is used in gameplay.

Each ramp has only one 'shot indicating' lamp above it, not 2 as in production. Lamp is not labelled in any way.

4. The left Loop shot is a dead end in the proto. Instead of allowing the ball to complete a loop it now feeds the ball back down the top flipper.

5. The Genius lane no longer feeds the top flipper but ends in a scoop which via a VUK sends the ball up into the bomber where it drops into the upper pop bumper area. Cool ! When I originally saw pics of the proto I couldn't quite tell what was going on with the ramps/bomber/genius shot so its good to have this clarified.

6. There are no Spinners in the proto. Production has one in each right and left loop shot.

7. The right 'Union Jack Mode start' is a scoop with the ball fed straight back out, rather than a VUK to the right flipper as in the regular game.

8. A real Chime unit is fitted, and you can hear the chimes when the blinders are across. And during multiball.

9. Appears to be a Shaker motor fitted and running, again when the blinders are across. Maybe in multiball also (?)

10. No Captive Ball.

11. The shooter lane is not elevated. The ball enters at playfield level thru a regular gate.

12. Star Posts appear to be used - the regular game has the uglier plain DE posts. (So ugly I changed mine to back star posts : ) ...... )

The main differences in the Modes appears to be that there is no Captain Walker (video) mode - instead it is named 'Bomber Ramps'. And as the name suggests you have to hit the ramps.

This would appear to have become the Captain Walker bombing/ramp sequence in the regular game.

The 'Holiday Camp' mode seems to be 'switch hits' rather than the captive ball.

The Playfield artwork is similar but certainly different, as is all the plastic artwork.

The 'Bomber' itself is a very different design.

Different translite is used also.

Heres a pic of a regular Tommy ( not mine) - to compare

image1-1.jpg

And not forgetting the one off 'Richie Rich'
biggrin-1.png
:eek:
biggrin-1.png

image2-1.jpg

Oh and Kabuki !!!! .......Jeez DE sure got some mileage out of retheming Tommy ................ 2 Kabuki made apparently as a gift for the Namco boss or something ...

image25-1.jpg

image24-1.jpg

Wow. Thats certainly some real differences instead of the usual slightly different artwork/plastics etc.....

6 pop bumpers!!! Awesome!!!! I can feel another pin obsession coming along.....

Cheers for the info and writeup Ive, very interesting stuff.

Back
Top Bottom