What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Today At MAPLINS BTTF

deathrow

Registered
Today I headed down to Maplins to see what they don't have in stock. This seems regular thing for me nowadays as they no longer hold the parts I need.

I required 2 160V 150uf caps. Nothing too fancy?

So I asked the "maplineer" behind the counter and he returned with a rather thick book and began his search. This went on for ages but in the end after trying to sell me parts that would not work he said he could not help.

Now I must stress this is becoming a ritual with these guys so just for a laugh while he had the Capacitor pages opened I asked for.... Wait for it... Yup a 'Flux Capacitor'.
Now I was expecting a "very funny" or something similar but instead he asked me what voltage and rating I needed?
I made something up on the spot, Cant remember what.
He searched the book and found nothing. I thought the guy must have cottoned on and is playing along with me until he suggested RS components online or that he could try and call someone to get the part in for me in three days.
'Sure' I said, any time in the near future would be fine.
My wife is having kittens at this point pretending to be interested in an extendable ladder.

The guy phones someone (head office?) and I can hear him explaining to them that he wants a flux capacitor.

I'm sorry to say that I crumbled and left as I thought I was going to pass out from holding my laughter in.

Ahh the little joys eh?

I wonder what they said to him?

They probably asked him to confirm the rating he wanted before asking if it was actually 1.21 gigawatts!! ;)

Good joke. There is a tipping point on these things where you realise they don't get the joke and now you are laughing at them but telling them will only make it worse. So you have to hold it in until you have to run away laughing.

I wish these shops would spend some of their profits (and I know times are difficult) on properly training all staff. A few of the local Maplineers (good title) are hobbyists so if you get their subject they can be helpful. Others are useless, same in B&Q and the local RS counter. Yet when you do find an expert, you usually find they are busy and everyone calls on them all the time. They probably get stressed and leave for an easy job somewhere else. ;)

Good joke. There is a tipping point on these things where you realise they don't get the joke and now you are laughing at them but telling them will only make it worse. So you have to hold it in until you have to run away laughing.

I wish these shops would spend some of their profits (and I know times are difficult) on properly training all staff. A few of the local Maplineers (good title) are hobbyists so if you get their subject they can be helpful. Others are useless, same in B&Q and the local RS counter. Yet when you do find an expert, you usually find they are busy and everyone calls on them all the time. They probably get stressed and leave for an easy job somewhere else. ;)

I really had to hold it in, The kind of thing when you are a kid getting told off and trying hard not to laugh as you will get in trouble.
I guess Ive still not grown up lol

Back
Top Bottom