What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To powder coat FG or not ? Is it a good mod?

Is powder coating a bad mod?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pick Holder

Site Supporter
As the title suggests....

Is powder coating my Family guy a sin? or do people like it on the resale market. Looking at having coin door, side rails, legs and back box brackets done.

I must admit I kind of like it but dont want to ruin the resale market.....

Have a local guy who is pretty cheap and will do a quick turn around time. Was thinking orange!

Some folk like originality. Some like mods.

Modding fans can always mod original games. Fans of originality cannot always return modded games back to factory spec.

If a future sale is envisaged, keep it as specified by the factory..

Done tastefully it'll make a game look good. This one is highly questionable:
uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20170326_97d89788ef0c0e0d57085c935ba1c36b.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Everything produced was/is black or metal ...other than limited edition runs of the latest pins which seem to inject some welcome colour so imo if you pick something that matches you won't harm after sales as it's unique/original and some will see it as an improvement like mods/alt translite etc so if you want to do it go for it! :thumbs:

There wasn't option 4 of,
"Re-powdercoating rusty original parts to factory colours & spec." if there was I would have ticked that one!

Factory colours, like black or black or maybe black, great! Anything else and that includes colour for the sake of colour, even if it is factory, no. Especially the green on the re-issue AFM (yak). About the only exception I can think of is TWD in the dark blood red. That looks cool!

4.jpg

I do tend to not keep pins for LONG periods of time. My paintwork is all good. Powder coating is very easy to turn back to original but I do not want to be discounting the price because of this.... I saw an orange one and remember liking it, and now I have a good powder coater locally who I know it makes the price cheapish.

I think its time to give it some thought.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/archive/38718

If you want it because YOU like it, then go for it!

Personally I don't think it adds any value and to me it is a negative as I prefer black original.

Depends on the game and how it's done, I prefer fg powder coated, and I love an apollo 13 I have that was powder coated by someone else, but I have seen lots that I think are pug ugly.

If it's a keeper do whatever you like to it.

If the metalwork is bad and needs replacing or painting same again, do what you like.

If nothings wrong with it and your not keeping it, why bother. Just play and enjoy it while you have it.

Back
Top Bottom