What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tiny laptop recommendations - GPD Pocket?

jww

Site Supporter
I do a long commute on the train and the fold down tables are too small to use my already small work laptop (Dell E7250) reasonably. So I'm looking for a much smaller computer to use while on the move. Main uses would be reading pdf's, bit of web-browsing, work in a terminal, so I can vpn/ssh into remote devices etc. (Am network engineer so would be for those sorts of uses)

Found these GPD Pocket things and they seem quite cool but a bit out of my price range. Clicky link

I'd probably prefer to run Linux on it, but could easily get by with Windows if that was my only option.

Does anyone know of anything similar but a bit cheaper?

Many thanks,

I still have one of these. Sexiest bit of kit that Sony ever made IMHO, and truly pocket size. If they redid a Win 10 version of this I'd buy it in a heartbeat
It can browse internet, read pdf, play mp3/divx/xvid, take photos/videos, edit documents. Waaay ahead of it's time when I picked one up... back in 2003!

Last edited:
I loved my Toshiba Libretto, which got replaced after many years with an Asus Eee PC. I have rebooted our main switches, dropped E1s and fixed BGP routers whilst sat at various football grounds over the years.

These days, I do pretty much everything on my phone/iPad if I'm out and about, but any pocket sized tablet should do it. Get a bluetooth keyboard if you're going to be doing a lot of typing and it works fine though I often can't be bothered and so just use the popup keyboard on iPad.

VPN/SSH works fine and you can setup a proper machine somewhere and use RDP to control it if you need anything more advanced.

Some people I've had to deal with in IT would be better off with that sort of device.....

Reactions: jww
Harry loves his laptop, it’s small and he gets on well with it - I can’t even open excel on the thing.

View attachment 84815

It’s obviously the green button, because spreadsheets are green.

Harry has a cool and surprisingly expensive computer desk too.

Ours has just turned 4 & seems very comfortable with the concepts of Apple Airplay, Windows 7 (especially opening Paint) and more recently Mario Kart. It’s ****ing scary... and yes we’re terrible parents.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies - there's a few leads there for me to have a look at, thank you.

Cheers,

Nokia Communcator was the best back in the day for network management :D

I had the UX-50 and Libretto also both excellent also - TG-50 I like the best from the Clie range. Last mini laptop I had was Sony P, which I ran NetBSD/i386 on.

Japan has all sorts of mini laptops that aren't available outside of the country - worth checking out.

iPad or Mac air 11 might fit your needs also, but I personally find touch screen devices too irritating for remote terminal work.

Neil.

Back
Top Bottom