What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time Machine - Memory Loss!

Richrox986

Registered
So my Time Machine table, (which was originally manufactured for the German market) has started reverting back to default settings after a short amount of time. I have worked out how to return it to English but it's clearly got a touch of short term memory loss!

I've located the battery in the head unit, (pic attached) which I assume is the cause. Couple of questions....

1. Before I try, does the battery just slide out? looks like it should, but it's also very well held in there.
  2. Which battery do I need to replace it? it looks like two CR2032's wrapped together.....

Silly questions prevent silly mistakes so I'd rather gain advice before trying to do anything.

Thanks

Richard

Attachments

• image0 (5).jpeg
    image0 (5).jpeg
    241.1 KB · Views: 32
CPU Board diagram attached, that area is designated as "Batteries" although it only has that one blue object in situ.....

Attachments

• image0 (6).jpeg
    image0 (6).jpeg
    157 KB · Views: 5
And it is very happy where it is, I can't slide anything under it or over it to pop it out......

memory capacitors rely on the game being on frequently to charge-up, providing voltage to the RAM when the game is off.
has it been turned off for many months?

yes it’s a super capacitor. it should charge up and then hold the settings. in order to charge up it needs 5v from the board. so normally a diode needs removing to allow it to charge.

ps. in your first pic looks possibly like d25 diode has been bypassed with a piece of wire which would make sense

Ok thanks, so I know nothing about electronics, so, what does this all mean? what (if anything) can I do about this?

ok that’s good. that keys the current flow back to the “battery” which in this case is a super capacitor. it should hold its charge for a while. how long does it take to lose its memory?

It seems to be a few weeks as I play it regularly, but probably not for a long period of time...... so do I need to leave it on for longer to let it charge fully?

As a work around, I have bought some DM's from ebay, it has a German coin mech.

Been off for 12 hours over night. All running well, not reset to factory default.....

Fingers crossed, charging the memory capacitor is the answer!

Guess I just need to play more Pinball!

Back
Top Bottom