What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thrifty thread?

edsr

Registered
Wondering about tips to save some ££££ on tools - the expensive stuff that you need but barely gets used

I’m looking at a parts tumbler with media etc for £70. I really don’t wanna spend that but otherwise, I’m not sure how I’m gonna stop my parts (a) looking crap after putting a load of effort into cleaning the rest of it up, and (b) stopping the corrosion that’s going to just spew bits of minerals and metal back onto the playfield.

There are a few vids on YouTube of people making their own but the parts alone come to £40. Wondered if anyone had any success with that or even if there was a parts tumbling service. Had even considered putting a bucket in the tumble drier with some towels taped around it (but no way of turning the heat down on ours).

So also considered just buying new screws as might be cheaper than a tumbler? Do you guys all own these?

Next up my plastics are wonky- quoted £36 for two bits of glass to fit my oven and sandwich the (spotless) plastics at 65deg C. Again don’t wanna spend it but think I will probably have to; the slingshot plastics had the underside scratched off from sagging so expect the rest of it will need flattening too.

Any tips, as ever, much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A tumbler, or more specifically vibrating bowl, is definitely worth the money over the long term if you are going to be looking after plenty of machines.
Purchasing new. It would be cheaper for a few dozen specific screws, but the beauty of the tumbler is that you can put anything in to it, including machine specific parts (such as brackets or small ramps and diverters - which alone would cost more than the price of a tumbler). Also to cut down on postage you'll end up ordering in bulk, and have a load of parts which you never actually get round to using. It can also be used for non pinball applications. My niece and nephew love putting old coins in and seeing them shiny the following morning.

As for plastics, never heard of the bits of glass that go in the oven. I, and I believe most others, simply use any 2 pieces of glass (or flat metal, put the plastic between the 2 and heat with a hairdryer and clamp tight until it cools down perfectly flat- voila

Thanks Wayne - I just bit the bullet (!) and got one. Figure I can sell it for almost what I paid for it if I don’t use it, but can’t really do a decent clean without one for the reasons you have said.

If anyone needs anything tumbling (or flattening) who doesn’t have glass or a tumbler, please PM me - happy to lend stuff or help.

From what I read the oven is the safest method provided the temperature will go low enough and the glass / plastic is spotless.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom