What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thread spamming

JT.

Site Supporter
Is it just me, or is it about time to kill off the thread leaderboard now? Just logged on to 19 spam posts populating the entirety of the 'New threads' list - the site is unusable for me.

I dont know that the leaderboard needs to be killed off - however i think it may need to be made clear that I too am getting fed up with the "and me" when there is a like button, and people just need to click on it!!....

Actually, having just seen the State of the "new posts" then i may well do just that and kill it!...

upload_2014-7-22_19-55-51.png

Reactions: JT.
Haha, you can kill it for me.

I don't actually post as often as I might - I often write something and then don't bother posting because it feels a bit 'superfluous' to the discussion.

I've never understood the need for a leaderboard on a forum anyway. I already know i'm a gob****e!! ;-)

I do think however that the snapshot you've taken often highlights what is just a lull in forum activity. It's less common to see it like that in the daytime but I know when I logged on this morning the top 10 posts were all from Rus who'd evidently had a late night.

I'll let them both have their fun - it all ends in a few days, and then i'll consider removing it if people take the mickey...

Serious question though JT - why's it an issue?

Did you read each of those posts and feel the person who last commented made no contribution? I know in many cases Replicas has good advice to offer and often messages are a response to banter going on between forum members.

Surely it impacts sometimes more than others because those posts aren't of interest to you? But that's not something that can be controlled, nor is it a deliberate attempt by others to try to **** you off...... Or do you really think people are just posting to bump up their count? That sounds nuts to me.....

Serious question though JT - why's it an issue?

Did you read each of those posts and feel the person who last commented made no contribution? I know in many cases Replicas has good advice to offer and often messages are a response to banter going on between forum members.

Surely it impacts sometimes more than others because those posts aren't of interest to you? But that's not something that can be controlled, nor is it a deliberate attempt by others to try to **** you off...... Or do you really think people are just posting to bump up their count? That sounds nuts to me.....

Take a look at the "Do not Read" thread to see where this started. Last month's 'winning' post count was 229. Current 'top' post count is 342, with 10 days to go until this ends (why is that? more than a hundred more posts than last month, or most months, with nearly half a month to go?). Current second is 331 (why is that? that count is unheard of) Over the last five days or so there has been a continuous battle between places 1 & 2 'fighting' for top place, which is funny :), but now I can't see what is a new thread and what is spam (that's why it is vaguely an issue - it's OK, I go on holiday tomorrow, so I won't give it too much thought a week or so :)).
If you look at some posts, you will see often multiple responses, one to every single comment in a thread. The first one of those 19 threads I mentioned (sorry, I do not remember which), I clicked on it. It had three separate responses, to three separate posts above it?! I totally agree that the intent is not to annoy anyone, and I enjoy both posters' input normally, but its becoming almost impossible to see what is part of the game and what are normal posts.

Last edited:
Fair comment JT - I was genuinely interested.

I always go to the forum and then immediately hit 'new posts' and often i'll reply to a few. It means I rarely see nor pay attention to my post count, but I can see how the information you've presented could make it look like a little suspect.

Take a look at the "Do not Read" thread to see where this started. Last month's 'winning' post count was 229. Current 'top' post count is 342, with 10 days to go until this ends (why is that? more than a hundred more posts than last month, or most months, with nearly half a month to go?). Current second is 331 (why is that? that count is unheard of) Over the last five days or so there has been a continuous battle between places 1 & 2 'fighting' for top place, which is funny :), but now I can't see what is a new thread and what is spam (that's why it is vaguely an issue - it's OK, I go on holiday tomorrow, so I won't give it too much thought a week or so :)).

If you look at some posts, you will see often multiple responses to every in a single comment in a thread. The first one of those 19 threads I mentioned (sorry, I do not remember which), I clicked on it. It had three separate responses, to three separate posts above it?! I totally agree that the intent is not to annoy anyone, and I enjoy both poster's input normally, but its becoming almost impossible to see what is part of the game and what are normal posts.

That's because your now part of the matrix what's a real post and what's banter? Noone really knows

Haha, you can kill it for me.

I don't actually post as often as I might - I often write something and then don't bother posting because it feels a bit 'superfluous' to the discussion.

I've never understood the need for a leaderboard on a forum anyway. I already know i'm a gob****e!! ;-)

I do think however that the snapshot you've taken often highlights what is just a lull in forum activity. It's less common to see it like that in the daytime but I know when I logged on this morning the top 10 posts were all from Rus who'd evidently had a late night.

I wanted to say something about it but didn't wanna come across more whiney than am already. Turned me into a lurker, good thing probably haha.

Talking about the board on the right though, I've never seen that other one.

Yeah, I kinda knew this was going to happen.

It has become super hard to follow some stuff with all the new posts, so i'll make an attempt to filter my input.

I wanted to say something about it but didn't wanna come across more whiney than am already. Turned me into a lurker, good thing probably haha.

Talking about the board on the right though, I've never seen that other one.
Dont become a lurker... :D

Yeah, I kinda knew this was going to happen.

It has become super hard to follow some stuff with all the new posts, so i'll make an attempt to filter my input.

And me :D it was just a matter of time. However i do quite like the function. I don't mind any input - as long as it's funny, constructive or useful :D

thanks Russ :)

Back
Top Bottom